Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NY Times article on Tony Bloom - Barton not happy?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
It's easy to see why Bloom would want to keep the professional sport gambling side of his business quiet and as far removed and separate as possible from his ownership of a football club. Whilst I'm certain everyone involved is professional enough for there to be zero conflicts of interest, others around the footballing world who look at Brighton enviously, as well as various authorities looking to be seen to tackle corruption, may not be so allowing and may want to go digging. Bloom's betting relies in his methods being unknown and not being dug into or made public for rival companies to know.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've been told that because TB has focussed historically on the Asian market, his business is more valuable than Bet365, which means he's done well for himself (and his benevolence has of course benefitted the Albion immensely).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Legally - 100% correct. Bloom (and Coates at Stoke, etc) have broken no rules, whereas Barton did (over 1,000 times) and has earned his punishment.

More generally though, you can have some sympathy with his view that football's house is not entirely in order regards their relationship with the gambling industry.

Hell will freeze over, thaw out and freeze again before I have any sympathy for that utter stain or any of his views.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've been told that because TB has focussed historically on the Asian market, his business is more valuable than Bet365, which means he's done well for himself (and his benevolence has of course benefitted the Albion immensely).
Would that mean that he's worth more than Denise Coates? If so, that's staggering.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I don't need to read the article to know that Barton is a C

He's about to start co presenting on Talksport with Adrian Durham this weekend. I cannot conceive of any combination more likely to guarantee I would never listen.

I hate the C

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't need to read the article to know that Barton is a C

The article doesn't really mention Barton. Much more about Bloom / us and other gambling involvement in the UK game than Barton

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
what property development arm? is there a record of his companies and investment? trouble with our Tony's secrecy is no a lot of public information, wasn't long ago that reports assumed his entire wealth was from the the betting web site he sold, even though he'd put more than that in BHA.

I don't think anyone knows the details. A list of UK companies he's director of, or was director of, are here but there are no doubt more in Australia and elsewhere...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/Q_ADm7H9pnKODGCzK1SOUE7PJbI/appointments

None of our business though, I suppose.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Legally - 100% correct. Bloom (and Coates at Stoke, etc) have broken no rules, whereas Barton did (over 1,000 times) and has earned his punishment.

More generally though, you can have some sympathy with his view that football's house is not entirely in order regards their relationship with the gambling industry.

I don't think you can have sympathy with Joey Barton's view on anything

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
TB owns a betting consultancy where his empolyees make investments on his customers behalf. Unlike Barton who placed bet for himself. Interesting in the companies house link that there is no mention of Star Lizzard which I thought was the name of the consultancy.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Another media source thinking that Tony has made all his money from one source. What about his property development arm?

The idea that his resources come through gambling is absurd. I'd say it's more a hobby on the side.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thought it was weird that Bloom wasn't listed as a director of Star Lizard, and he gave another one of his companies a £30 mill interest free loan.
A generous businessman.
Why is that weird, and why is it generous? What kind of bullshit statement are you trying to make?

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
His name is not listed under Star Lizard as he is deliberately not a director, although he may own shares, probably to keep his interests in the football club away from his main gambling interests. I expect this is a FA/PL/EFL requirement.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So Tony's company could have contributed to getting Barton found out and banned. If you didn't love him enough already...

It didn't. The betting company that Barton had used for a number of years informed the authorities. What their motives were are unclear.

I used to do some work with City a few years ago, always found Joey Barton to be pleasant, he was great with the kids who watched the players train. He's done some bad and some stupid things, but many of us have addictions and problems, and it doesn't make us automatically *****, so why him?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Self confessed Barton fan bringing some colour to the game.

For every 10 public relations trained robots you need someone like Joey.

Dragged up in the old world of football, dealing with the modern.

I like him.

There is clear hypocrisy in the game which allows betting to pump millions in the game, sorry.

The fact that he wasn't allowed to appear in a Grenfell fund raising match is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It didn't. The betting company that Barton had used for a number of years informed the authorities. What their motives were are unclear.

I used to do some work with City a few years ago, always found Joey Barton to be pleasant, he was great with the kids who watched the players train. He's done some bad and some stupid things, but many of us have addictions and problems, and it doesn't make us automatically *****, so why him?

Did he show the kids who attended the training session how he practicised performing a career-ending stamp on a fellow pro's leg in such a way as to make it plausible it was an accident?

There's poor behaviour, of which, as you say, we're all guilty, and then there's potentially career-ending thuggery.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here