Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious question re holidays

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I lived in Southern France for many years. The serious tips already given are very valid. One extra, locals and myself carried around an aerosol containing water which can be sprayed as a fine mist on the face, neck and wrists. Usually can be purchased from a Pharmacy. Incidentally they are now available in the UK. Last year I was able to buy very cheaply in Saver for about £1 which is much cheaper than a regular Chemist.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was in The Canaries.
Every now and again the wind blows in directly off the Sahara Desert, they have a name for it but I can't remember.
The temperature shoots up to about 45 to 50 degrees and the sky goes white, not cloud but sand and stuff.
At about 4 ish I like to take a stroll down to a bar on my own and have a wander around and a drink. So I left the hotel and it was a 15 minute walk across a golf course down to a marina.
After 5 minutes I had to take off my tee shirt and wrap it around my face because the wind was like having a hot hair drier blowing in your face and it was sandy, quite tricky to breathe, I can see why the people who live around the Sahara dress the way they do now.
After 10 minutes I had to turn back and return to the hotel and jump in the pool.
Strangely my first thought was how on earth did we fight a war, in uniform, in WW2 in these conditions.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
We knew it was going to be hot, but this is really something different. I can't even remember it being this hot in South Africa when we lived there! Air con is working flat out all day and night !

It's gods way of punishing you for missing the first day of the football season.... man up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
We were in Normandy I think it was 2003. We were quite a way inland. Bloody hell it was hot. We were quite near a little village and one day, the hottest and around mid-day a French guy (no surprise there) approached us in in running gear and bathed in sweat. He asked us where the village was and we gave directions and of he went. It then occurred that

a) he must have run quite a long way in the first place not to know the area
b) he then had to run to the village
c) presumably he then had to run back home

I'm a runner but there's no way I'd have been out. When we got back we heard the news about the death rate in Paris having risen during the heat wave. I hope the runner was OK.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Great advice and fortunately we are doing most of that. It's actually too hot at times for alcohol, so we are averaging 3 litres of water each daily...and wearing a well trod path to the gents!

Air con is good but the maid cleans the room at 3 every day and so we have to time the siesta right!

Another hot day expected ...so sea and snorkelling this morning!

Yes it does seem like a hard life, ha ha. but heat and humidity is a real killer over here.

Cheers all and let's hope we see off citeh

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Have you ever been on holiday in a heat wave in Europe, or anywhere for that matter.

This us not a look at me thread, but I am genuinely interested how you kept cool.

We are on kefalonia and we arrived Sunday and so far we have had 5 days of 36C minimum and evening temps around the same...today was 49C ...I kid you not! It is like living in a fan oven. They keep putting out warnings on the TVs and radio about checking on old folk and animals and to stay out of the mid day sun...but it keeps getting hotter till about 8 on an evening

I know the weather has not been brilliant back home but it's just plain mad over here , and seemly it is the same all over Southern Europe.

Drinking beer doesn't help and we have got through about 5 litres of water a day so far.

I know you musnt complain but we are so not used to this type of heat.

Dealt with hotter in the Middle East. Wear loose clothing, drink lots of water and don't wait until you are thirsty, seek out air conditioning, run the underside of your wrists under cold water if you get too hot.
It's really not that hard to deal with.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Seariously, get a different hat, get a decent hat. you,can even get them with SPF ratings.

Get a bandana then - a proper one not one of the silly fake ones.
When you go swimming keep it on and you've an automatic cooling system on your head when you get out

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A damp/wet cloth of some sort tied loosely around your neck (if nothing else use a clean jaycloth) helps massively - we use them when running in hot weather.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If this thread question had been posted by HB&B or BG this thread would be polluted with snide reply's.
This was my first impression. I'm surprised a well traveled man in his 50's needs to ask this question.,

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Those temperatures with little breeze is totally dibilitating stay in the shade pop in and out of the sea or pool regularly, at the hottest part of the day head indoors with Air con, lots and lots of water holiday written off

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This was my first impression. I'm surprised a well traveled man in his 50's needs to ask this question.,

Great thread this one Spence, 6 pages of telling him to drink water, stay in the shade and find some air con, with the odd " I've been somewhere hotter " thrown in. :cool:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Weekends in Riyadh party first night then next night we'd drink under the stars in the desert till 2am. Get up at 5am go climbing, running or do duathlons. Have breakfast. Then go home. Bed at 12 and have 18 hours air conditioned sleep ready for the start of the new working week.
I'd certainly rather get paid to be in 47 degree heat in the shade than be on holiday. I suppose your answer is Night Clubbing.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Great advice and fortunately we are doing most of that. It's actually too hot at times for alcohol, so we are averaging 3 litres of water each daily...and wearing a well trod path to the gents!

Air con is good but the maid cleans the room at 3 every day and so we have to time the siesta right!

Another hot day expected ...so sea and snorkelling this morning!

Yes it does seem like a hard life, ha ha. but heat and humidity is a real killer over here.

Cheers all and let's hope we see off citeh

I'd avoid the sea, jelly fish are deadly in hot weather .... ooophs

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here