Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    worshipping Omiros

Serious question re holidays

0 Not allowed!
    Have you ever been on holiday in a heat wave in Europe, or anywhere for that matter.

This us not a look at me thread, but I am genuinely interested how you kept cool.

We are on kefalonia and we arrived Sunday and so far we have had 5 days of 36C minimum and evening temps around the same...today was 49C ...I kid you not! It is like living in a fan oven. They keep putting out warnings on the TVs and radio about checking on old folk and animals and to stay out of the mid day sun...but it keeps getting hotter till about 8 on an evening

I know the weather has not been brilliant back home but it's just plain mad over here , and seemly it is the same all over Southern Europe.

Drinking beer doesn't help and we have got through about 5 litres of water a day so far.

I know you musnt complain but we are so not used to this type of heat.
    " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
    The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I remember being In Cyprus a few Years back,45 degrees every day,sweating like a priest at a paddling pool.
      Spent all day in air conditioned bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

This us not a look at me thread,
      Yes it is

0 Not allowed!
      Experienced it a few times and it really can be unpleasant. Can ruin a holiday as much as rain.....possibly worse. End up spending all your time in anywhere that has air conditioning.

Was working in UAE when temps were over 50 - very difficult to be outside at all. Also got fried on holiday in Tunisia once when it was over 40. Ruined the trip really.

Now much more careful about where we go, avoiding potential extreme temperatures if we can - Canaries, Caribbean etc.

Us pasty Northern European types are really not cut out for the really hot weather
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Together (sometimes) Thunder Bolt's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Avoid alcohol because it dehydrates you, drink lots of water, stay indoors during the heat, unless you can go somewhere with air conditioning. Eat at night after 8pm when it's cooler. Sleep in the afternoon, and get up early when it's cooler.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain
      worshipping Omiros

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Experienced it a few times and it really can be unpleasant. Can ruin a holiday as much as rain.....possibly worse. End up spending all your time in anywhere that has air conditioning.

Was working in UAE when temps were over 50 - very difficult to be outside at all. Also got fried on holiday in Tunisia once when it was over 40. Ruined the trip really.

Now much more careful about where we go, avoiding potential extreme temperatures if we can - Canaries, Caribbean etc.

Us pasty Northern European types are really not cut out for the really hot weather
      We knew it was going to be hot, but this is really something different. I can't even remember it being this hot in South Africa when we lived there! Air con is working flat out all day and night !
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

0 Not allowed!
      Can't remember the temperature but as a youngster got fried by the sun in Ibiza back in the early 1970's; ended the day with huge blisters on both arms.

Spanish Doctor spent all evening lancing them (still got the scars) and I spent the rest of the holiday indoors.

The Family had only ever been to Colwyn Bay before...

1 Not allowed!
      Enjoy it, it's fecking shite weather here.
      "The first 90 minutes of the match are the most important"

0 Not allowed!
      Been in Andalucia twice when it's been 45oC. Didn't bother me at all except when my trainers started to melt. So long as you've got good air con in your room.
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something

1 Not allowed!
      If there's a bath, fill it with cold water before going to bed. When you can't sleep because of the heat, go and take a dip in the tub to cool you down.

Keep the shutters closed and have lots of siestas when it's at its hottest. Get into the habit of just lazing about, it's what the locals do.