Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious question re holidays

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Have you ever been on holiday in a heat wave in Europe, or anywhere for that matter.

This us not a look at me thread, but I am genuinely interested how you kept cool.

We are on kefalonia and we arrived Sunday and so far we have had 5 days of 36C minimum and evening temps around the same...today was 49C ...I kid you not! It is like living in a fan oven. They keep putting out warnings on the TVs and radio about checking on old folk and animals and to stay out of the mid day sun...but it keeps getting hotter till about 8 on an evening

I know the weather has not been brilliant back home but it's just plain mad over here , and seemly it is the same all over Southern Europe.

Drinking beer doesn't help and we have got through about 5 litres of water a day so far.

I know you musnt complain but we are so not used to this type of heat.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I remember being In Cyprus a few Years back,45 degrees every day,sweating like a priest at a paddling pool.
Spent all day in air conditioned bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Experienced it a few times and it really can be unpleasant. Can ruin a holiday as much as rain.....possibly worse. End up spending all your time in anywhere that has air conditioning.

Was working in UAE when temps were over 50 - very difficult to be outside at all. Also got fried on holiday in Tunisia once when it was over 40. Ruined the trip really.

Now much more careful about where we go, avoiding potential extreme temperatures if we can - Canaries, Caribbean etc.

Us pasty Northern European types are really not cut out for the really hot weather

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Avoid alcohol because it dehydrates you, drink lots of water, stay indoors during the heat, unless you can go somewhere with air conditioning. Eat at night after 8pm when it's cooler. Sleep in the afternoon, and get up early when it's cooler.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Experienced it a few times and it really can be unpleasant. Can ruin a holiday as much as rain.....possibly worse. End up spending all your time in anywhere that has air conditioning.

Was working in UAE when temps were over 50 - very difficult to be outside at all. Also got fried on holiday in Tunisia once when it was over 40. Ruined the trip really.

Now much more careful about where we go, avoiding potential extreme temperatures if we can - Canaries, Caribbean etc.

Us pasty Northern European types are really not cut out for the really hot weather

We knew it was going to be hot, but this is really something different. I can't even remember it being this hot in South Africa when we lived there! Air con is working flat out all day and night !

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can't remember the temperature but as a youngster got fried by the sun in Ibiza back in the early 1970's; ended the day with huge blisters on both arms.

Spanish Doctor spent all evening lancing them (still got the scars) and I spent the rest of the holiday indoors.

The Family had only ever been to Colwyn Bay before... :facepalm:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Been in Andalucia twice when it's been 45oC. Didn't bother me at all except when my trainers started to melt. So long as you've got good air con in your room.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
If there's a bath, fill it with cold water before going to bed. When you can't sleep because of the heat, go and take a dip in the tub to cool you down.

Keep the shutters closed and have lots of siestas when it's at its hottest. Get into the habit of just lazing about, it's what the locals do.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Avoid alcohol because it dehydrates you, drink lots of water, stay indoors during the heat, unless you can go somewhere with air conditioning. Eat at night after 8pm when it's cooler. Sleep in the afternoon, and get up early when it's cooler.

Nonsense !

Get on the sauce before lunch and try to stay well oiled until you land at Gatwick.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Dubai / Doha etc is like that most of the time, i don't think 49C in particularly hot when there, if you not expecting it but guess you weren't where you are.
Do the cars ? hotels / bars / restaurants not have air conditioning?

Once had 4 days solid of 40 degree heat in southern Spain. Didn't know what to do with myself, drank water all day, stayed in shade, bloody nightmare.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

This.

Try and find shady spots with a bit of breeze. Get a straw hat to keep the sun off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here