Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All very exciting these foreign player signings, but ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I personally preferred the days when we had maybe one or two non-British players in the team as distinct from this season when we'll be lucky have two or three British guys playing. Yes I know British players are overpriced; yes I know we are looking for the best value players available, but I can't help but look back fondly to the days when the football teams in England fielded mostly British players. At least I could pronounce their names back then.

Booo! Booooo! :lolol:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It's ok.... Naylor is diluting the enthusiasm about any of the proposed signings.... see his recent tweets.... believe it when I see it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I would rather CH get good value at this stage than do his bollox just to 'go brit'. Who's to say that in a few years we won't be in a position like Burnley's, with home grown players coming through our youth program? I think that might be the plan. :shrug:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Given the summer signings of Matthias Normann, Ales Mateju and (Soufyan Ahanach?) the development squad might not be the answer to the OP's 'woes'.

Indeed a very good point maybe the problem is much further down the pyramid when I was younger ( god I am sounding old) Saturday and Sunday league was huge the Argus back then printer all the scores and it went on page after page, pitches where on every park with games following one another I remember a team at Redhill that had players who went on to play professionally and some even made it as internationals, what's happen from then to now I guess the Internet, mobile phones and lots of other distractions in life

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I personally preferred the days when we had maybe one or two non-British players in the team as distinct from this season when we'll be lucky have two or three British guys playing. Yes I know British players are overpriced; yes I know we are looking for the best value players available, but I can't help but look back fondly to the days when the football teams in England fielded mostly British players. At least I could pronounce their names back then.

There is no going back now. British players are massively overpriced, so to survive we either get a squillionaire in who can buy the best of the domestic players, and even then it's probably a "project" whereby you actually fill you Dev Squad with the best of the Young Lions and bring them through, because no-one is selling ready-made Prem players to us. OR you do what we are doing, and scout the European leagues, and hope to find the players in countries that have not already been mined to such a degree that they too are charging a fortune.

Belgium, Austria, Holland and the best of the players from the bottom end of the Bundasliga .... yep that's where we are shopping, because that gives us our best hope of staying up.

That's just how it is now.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Indeed a very good point maybe the problem is much further down the pyramid when I was younger ( god I am sounding old) Saturday and Sunday league was huge the Argus back then printer all the scores and it went on page after page,

Whilst it might not be everyone's cup of tea I'd love to see the scores and leagues of the low level local teams in the Argus again. Maybe not page after page but a bit more focus on it would be great.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think the days of worrying about nationality are gone people want to be entertained by whoever is on the pitch and football is the ultimate international language.

Should be celebrated IMO and hardly surprising give the laughable figures put on British talent in comparison to overseas equivalents

But isnt the 'premium' on British talent demanded due to there not being very many of them, directly as a consequence of foreign players playing here, I have never quite understood why this 'premium' would exist anyway, especially as this thread shows there seems little appetite for British talent ahead of foreign talent, perhaps foreign talent being seen as even more preferable, so why the perceived increase in fee's for players from the UK, that would normally decrease their worth. ?

The only thing I can think of is 'homegrown' rule, which again in itself is a direct result of the preference of signing foreign talent, this seems to be the only reason why British talent might be more expensive than similar talented foreign players, but even so the wealth of the PL could mop up the 'padding out' out their squads with British players without having to pay more.

It says to me that in recent years British talent just isnt seen as as good as foreign talent which is another reason where it seems illogical to pay more for it.

Or what have a missed ?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As long as we're signing good players, I couldn't really care less where they come from.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I agree , I remember seeing a Watford line up last season and didn't know any of their team. There is a rule though isnt there about 8 players of the 25 have to bs Home Grown? What about the 18 selected for match days ? Any rules on that

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
But isnt the 'premium' on British talent demanded due to there not being very many of them, directly as a consequence of foreign players playing here, I have never quite understood why this 'premium' would exist anyway, especially as this thread shows there seems little appetite for British talent ahead of foreign talent, perhaps foreign talent being seen as even more preferable, so why the perceived increase in fee's for players from the UK, that would normally decrease their worth. ?

The only thing I can think of is 'homegrown' rule, which again in itself is a direct result of the preference of signing foreign talent, this seems to be the only reason why British talent might be more expensive than similar talented foreign players, but even so the wealth of the PL could mop up the 'padding out' out their squads with British players without having to pay more.

It says to me that in recent years British talent just isnt seen as as good as foreign talent which is another reason where it seems illogical to pay more for it.

Or what have a missed ?

It is a valid point and there seems no justification why home grown attracts such a premium. In some part because of the number of overseas players in the premier league a lot of British players find themselves at championship clubs who when the premier league comes calling inflate fees to try and bridge the money gap. However what we are seeing now is ordinary premier league players with promise like Barkley and Stones moving for £50m which is just insane.

With the top clubs monopolising the youth prospects and going with tried and tested rather than the young British players hard to see this changing at all in the foreseeable future. Tottenham are probably the only team bucking the trend and that is more a reflection of a manager who likes to show faith in the younger players

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Just a hunch, did you vote for Brexit?

I'll help with the pronunciations if you're having trouble:

B-r-u-n-o
B-o-n-g
H-e-m-e-d
R-y-a-n
P-r-o-p-p-e-r
G-r-o-sljlsh
D-u-f-f-y

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree , I remember seeing a Watford line up last season and didn't know any of their team. There is a rule though isnt there about 8 players of the 25 have to bs Home Grown? What about the 18 selected for match days ? Any rules on that

'Home grown' in that context does not mean British - just that they've been at a UK based club from an certain age. People like Kelechi Iheanacho are 'home grown'.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It is a valid point and there seems no justification why home grown attracts such a premium. In some part because of the number of overseas players in the premier league a lot of British players find themselves at championship clubs who when the premier league comes calling inflate fees to try and bridge the money gap. However what we are seeing now is ordinary premier league players with promise like Barkley and Stones moving for £50m which is just insane.

With the top clubs monopolising the youth prospects and going with tried and tested rather than the young British players hard to see this changing at all in the foreseeable future. Tottenham are probably the only team bucking the trend and that is more a reflection of a manager who likes to show faith in the younger players

But again I hear the British player 'premium' all the time, its almost a given and is regularly cited nearly everywhere, but I struggle to see why the market would deliver it.

Stone and Barclay for instance are seen as young but they are tried and tested top level players, so I still cannot see why their fee's and terms of contract might automatically be higher than a Spanish, Dutch or German counterpart.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But again I hear the British player 'premium' all the time, its almost a given and is regularly cited nearly everywhere, but I struggle to see why the market would deliver it.

Stone and Barclay for instance are seen as young but they are tried and tested top level players, so still I cannot see why their fee's and terms of contract might automatically be higher than a Spanish, Dutch or German counterpart.
Come on you're not that silly are you?

They are English, they speak English, they play in England, they are all over English media, they have English agents, the buying club is likely to be in direct competition with the seller, their transfers are easy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They are English, they speak English, they play in England, they are all over English media, they have English agents, the buying club is likely to be in direct competition with the seller, their transfers are easy.

- they're not going to get flakey and homesick when it snows.
- they are not 14.6% owned by a drug cartel.
- they won't have 46 hours of long haul flights each international break
- they won't miss 2 months of the season to the African Cup of Nations

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Nonsensical, only 31% of Premier League starters were English last season, which doesn't really reflect your view on how preferable English talent might be and how direct competition with Premier League clubs might also effect fee's doesn't immediately make sense either, why would any selling that ultimately is going to sell anyway, care whether the buying club get their British player or a foreign import that is as good as the player they are going to sell anyway, that transfer should offer similar performance outcomes with or without the British dynamic, there isn't a finite pool of PL players traded within it.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, let's increase Tony's bill for players !

He's not asking for that. He's just saying that he preferred something the way it was to the way it is now. It's not unreasonable - changes happen, and not everyone likes all of them. Some, for instance, preferred the days when we stood on the terraces to watch football.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014

No rules for the matchday, just the 25 man squad nominated at the end of the transfer window. Which does put a requirement on all PL clubs to have some British players in their squad (or at least players of other nationalities who've grown up here and thus qualify). And that must jack up the price a bit, combined with the scarcity of really good British players. But Watford show that a united nations of a squad isn't a ticket to great success, they had a thoroughly depressing season last season (granted they survived) and have now changed tact and bought in some English players this summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here