Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All very exciting these foreign player signings, but ...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I personally preferred the days when we had maybe one or two non-British players in the team as distinct from this season when we'll be lucky have two or three British guys playing. Yes I know British players are overpriced; yes I know we are looking for the best value players available, but I can't help but look back fondly to the days when the football teams in England fielded mostly British players. At least I could pronounce their names back then.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
We have to get the best value for the hand we've been dealt.
The alternative, spunking 40 million on Chris Wood, Tom Ince and Darren Randolph.
(Yes I know Wood is a Kiwi)

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I personally preferred the days when we had maybe one or two non-British players in the team as distinct from this season when we'll be lucky have two or three British guys playing. Yes I know British players are overpriced; yes I know we are looking for the best value players available, but I can't help but look back fondly to the days when the football teams in England fielded mostly British players. At least I could pronounce their names back then.

It's time you moved on. The world has.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. I much preferred the days of Bas Savage & Gifton Noel-Williams

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It's almost impossible to find afford players in this country outside the PL who could step straight into the PL which is why so many players come from other countries where they have played at high levels and might be internationals, I guess the development squad is the future

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, let's increase Tony's bill for players !

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I think the days of worrying about nationality are gone people want to be entertained by whoever is on the pitch and football is the ultimate international language.

Should be celebrated IMO and hardly surprising give the laughable figures put on British talent in comparison to overseas equivalents

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
More concerned with having a good team than their nationality myself.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It's almost impossible to find afford players in this country outside the PL who could step straight into the PL which is why so many players come from other countries where they have played at high levels and might be internationals, I guess the development squad is the future

Given the summer signings of Matthias Normann, Ales Mateju and (Soufyan Ahanach?) the development squad might not be the answer to the OP's 'woes'.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I think the days of worrying about nationality are gone people want to be entertained by whoever is on the pitch and football is the ultimate international language.

I think people can care about more than just what happens on the pitch - a player making a connection with the club, fans & community can make all the difference. Of course, nationality has feck all to do with this either; the perfect example of the Amex era would surely be Inigo Calderon...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think people can care about more than just what happens on the pitch - a player making a connection with the club, fans & community can make all the difference. Of course, nationality has feck all to do with this either; the perfect example of the Amex era would surely be Inigo Calderon...

......and Bruno, Vicente, Ulloa, Knockaert, Lopez, Orlandi etc etc

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
For sure. I only singled out Calderon as he seemed to go (even further) above and beyond. My post wasn't intended to slight any others!

Sorry was agreeing with you!! The point is all of the players we have mentioned have been great on and off the pitch (Calderon going to another level) and became fans favourites and more so than a lot of British players that have came and gone in that time. That's why I don't agree with the OP as nationality means nothing to me when someone pulls on the stripes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here