Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What rule change would improve the game?

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I've started reading The Mixer: The Story of Premier League Tactics, from Route One to False Nines. In the first chapter the author says that the change to the backpass rule was the bigger catalyst for the huge improvement in the quality of football rather than the increases in revenue for the clubs.

As well as reducing the ability of teams to waste time, the rule meant that defenders had to sit deeper which released space between them and the midfield, which opened the way for more attacking play.

That led me to think about what other law changes could be made to improve the game further. My main frustration is around time wasting and I like the idea of the length of the game being determined by the amount of time the ball is in play. The match would be, say 70 minutes long, and the 4th official would be timekeeper. The time remaining could be displayed like in basketball. This would reduce the incentive to simulate injury or fanny about with free kicks, goal kicks, etc and would also remove the length of added time being in the gift of the referee so would get rid of any hint of bias (eg Fergie Time).

What other rule changes would NSC like to see?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Anything that involves the term "gamesmanship" being outlawed. I like the idea of a timekeeper being designated so a 45 minute half is 45 minutes of the ball being in play. Also only one designated player being allowed to speak to the ref.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Allow physios free reign to come on to the pitch for players 'injured' when the ref hasn't stopped play

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Change the offside rule to a line on the pitch. It works for ice hockey. It would be so much easier and much less controversial for the linos.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Straight red for simulation/diving.

SPORT-25s12-teddy2-386_438.jpg

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
...The match would be, say 70 minutes long, and the 4th official would be timekeeper. The time remaining could be displayed like in basketball. This would reduce the incentive to simulate injury or fanny about with free kicks, goal kicks, etc and would also remove the length of added time being in the gift of the referee so would get rid of any hint of bias (eg Fergie Time).

Just this one

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
No offsides, if someone is brave enough to goal hang and leave their team with only 10 men to defend then they deserve any benefit they get from it.

I'm fed up with goals being disallowed and motd spending ages arguing about if the decision was correct or not.

Or a slight change, if a player is in an offside position when the ball is played but upon receiving the ball now has defenders between himself and goal then the supposed advantage is no longer applicable and play should continue

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anything that involves the term "gamesmanship" being outlawed. I like the idea of a timekeeper being designated so a 45 minute half is 45 minutes of the ball being in play. Also only one designated player being allowed to speak to the ref.

Realistically I think that would be thirty minutes each way (that is thirty minutes with the ball actually in play).

Also, I'm fed up with too many games ending 10 v. 11, or worse, especially as yellows are often handed out for such petty reasons. So, why not try two yellows = miss next game, one red = miss next game. A red and a yellow, or three yellows would still mean a sending off, and there should be a sort of double red for the really really vicious fouls, the ones that are virtually GBH. That could be a sending off and a three match ban as now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm torn between independent timekeeper so we get closer to 90 minutes of football and that would eliminate time wasting or citing players whether or not the ref took action at the time and hit players with 5 or 6 game bans for simulation.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If a player goes goes down injured don't stop the game, just let the physio run on the pitch and treat them. Odds are the ball won't go near them. If it does, so what.

a) would keep the game flowing
b) would stop fake injuries which are the curse of the game when a team are 1-0 up with 10 to go
c) would be hilarious to watch

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
If a player goes goes down injured don't stop the game, just let the physio run on the pitch and treat them. Odds are the ball won't go near them. If it does, so what.

a) would keep the game flowing
b) would stop fake injuries which are the curse of the game when a team are 1-0 up with 10 to go
c) would be hilarious to watch

Including goalkeepers? :thumbsup:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
No offsides, if someone is brave enough to goal hang and leave their team with only 10 men to defend then they deserve any benefit they get from it.

I'm fed up with goals being disallowed and motd spending ages arguing about if the decision was correct or not.

Or a slight change, if a player is in an offside position when the ball is played but upon receiving the ball now has defenders between himself and goal then the supposed advantage is no longer applicable and play should continue

Why do we have the rule? Goal hanging is a lost art- why did it have to be banned?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Have a second penalty spot at 6 yards for offences that stopped a certain goal e.g. hand ball on the line, goalkeeper swiping legs away when clean through.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The penalty kick.....get rid.
Doesn't eradicate diving/simulation but greatly reduces....encourages players to stay on their feet and show skill, rather than just cheat. Penalise offences in the usual way with cards. Still means offending player is punished, but not twice. By all means retain, if necessary, to decide drawn cup games but remove from all league competition.
The game would be much better without the penalty kick.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Football is an imperfect, irritating, frustrating sport filled with gamesmanship and controversy. Which is why I absolutely love it. Leave it alone, I say (and if anyone dares start with "they should look at rugby", my toys will be out of the pram).

Having said that... if you hit the post or the bar you should get a corner.

:)

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Any opposing team playing Brighton, has to stand still for 30 minutes of the 90, except for taking the K/O after we score.

Or

Their Goalie is blindfolded.

Simple.

Kick the Inbreeds up the road out of the league for their first yellow card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here