Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

What rule change would improve the game?

0 Not allowed!
    I've started reading The Mixer: The Story of Premier League Tactics, from Route One to False Nines. In the first chapter the author says that the change to the backpass rule was the bigger catalyst for the huge improvement in the quality of football rather than the increases in revenue for the clubs.

As well as reducing the ability of teams to waste time, the rule meant that defenders had to sit deeper which released space between them and the midfield, which opened the way for more attacking play.

That led me to think about what other law changes could be made to improve the game further. My main frustration is around time wasting and I like the idea of the length of the game being determined by the amount of time the ball is in play. The match would be, say 70 minutes long, and the 4th official would be timekeeper. The time remaining could be displayed like in basketball. This would reduce the incentive to simulate injury or fanny about with free kicks, goal kicks, etc and would also remove the length of added time being in the gift of the referee so would get rid of any hint of bias (eg Fergie Time).

What other rule changes would NSC like to see?
    That's the number for Albion information. Every day, 24 hours a day.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Anything that involves the term "gamesmanship" being outlawed. I like the idea of a timekeeper being designated so a 45 minute half is 45 minutes of the ball being in play. Also only one designated player being allowed to speak to the ref.
      Lets all do the conga
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Allow physios free reign to come on to the pitch for players 'injured' when the ref hasn't stopped play
      Only the musically educated have Pet Sounds...

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Over?

Founder of the 'There's Nothing Wrong With Portslade' Society

0 Not allowed!
      Change the offside rule to a line on the pitch. It works for ice hockey. It would be so much easier and much less controversial for the linos.
      Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.

---- L. Ron Hubbard

3 Not allowed!
      Going into Administration twice ,relegated into non league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
      Goal kicks and throw ins - to be taken within x seconds of the ball being available. Otherwise a yellow for the goalie, or the throw in is conceded to the opposition. The 'x' to be set as a new rule by the football authorities.

1 Not allowed!
      Straight red for simulation/diving.

Name:  SPORT-25s12-teddy2-386_438.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  14.7 KB

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by 8049 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      ...The match would be, say 70 minutes long, and the 4th official would be timekeeper. The time remaining could be displayed like in basketball. This would reduce the incentive to simulate injury or fanny about with free kicks, goal kicks, etc and would also remove the length of added time being in the gift of the referee so would get rid of any hint of bias (eg Fergie Time).
      Just this one
      In this great future you can't forget your past
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      No offsides, if someone is brave enough to goal hang and leave their team with only 10 men to defend then they deserve any benefit they get from it.

I'm fed up with goals being disallowed and motd spending ages arguing about if the decision was correct or not.

Or a slight change, if a player is in an offside position when the ball is played but upon receiving the ball now has defenders between himself and goal then the supposed advantage is no longer applicable and play should continue

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by pishhead View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Anything that involves the term "gamesmanship" being outlawed. I like the idea of a timekeeper being designated so a 45 minute half is 45 minutes of the ball being in play. Also only one designated player being allowed to speak to the ref.
      Realistically I think that would be thirty minutes each way (that is thirty minutes with the ball actually in play).

Also, I'm fed up with too many games ending 10 v. 11, or worse, especially as yellows are often handed out for such petty reasons. So, why not try two yellows = miss next game, one red = miss next game. A red and a yellow, or three yellows would still mean a sending off, and there should be a sort of double red for the really really vicious fouls, the ones that are virtually GBH. That could be a sending off and a three match ban as now.