Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jose Izquierdo - ALL CONFIRMED - NEW RECORD SIGNING

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And as for people who think that 'bought' is the posh version of 'brought' ... when asked, for example, 'have you bought your phone?' I reply 'why would I bing my phone?'.

They may have been enquiring whether you had bought your phone or if it had come free as part of your monthly contract or even as gift from someone!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All rather quiet. After the prickhard debacle last season he is probably locked away in a room with no mobile connection until the international clearance is resolved

I would guess contracts have been signed with the caveat that they are subject to international clearance. If that doesn't come then the contract is null and void. If international clearance doesn't come then no one else can sign him!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As a pensioner, who went to grammar school, I've always written spelled. I've only seen spelt very recently.

If you use the past tense of call, it's I called him, not I calt him.

Firstly, languages evolve, although not always for the better.

That said, surely you would look at a word and say it has been spelt wrong but if you refer to the act of an individual you would say he spelled it wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They may have been enquiring whether you had bought your phone or if it had come free as part of your monthly contract or even as gift from someone!

Yes, they may have been. But they weren't, :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

That said, surely you would look at a word and say it has been spelt wrong but if you refer to the act of an individual you would say he spelled it wrong.
That would be my interpretation too. I understand that Americans consider it should always be 'spelled', which is odd given that they usually opt for fewer letters wherever possible - i.e. labor, program.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Which means that either is correct. It's certainly not a spelling that I would pick somebody up on.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
'Rules' do not apply to most of the English language, which is a ******* mix of versions of languages of the different foreign tribes who have invaded and conquered here.

Designated "correct" spelling of words is a relatively recent invention as far as the English language is concerned (1755 being the earliest definitive dictionary, and followed in 1806 by Webster), and actually continues to be a subject of debate (there have been several attempts through the 1900's to "simplify" English spelling and there continues to be debate even today amongst language scholars).

Not only that, but a lot of words in English that have been borrowed from other languages actually mean something very different (even the complete opposite in some cases!) than the source word. It's a ******* language, and IMO the fcat taht you can raed tihs wthiuot a pborelm sgustges taht crrocet slpnelig isn't necessarily a requirement for communication :p.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not only that, but a lot of words in English that have been borrowed from other languages actually mean something very different (even the complete opposite in some cases!) than the source word. It's a ******* language, and IMO the fcat taht you can raed tihs wthiuot a pborelm sgustges taht crrocet slpnelig isn't necessarily a requirement for communication :p.

Not about necessary requirement. Its about maintaining aesthetic standards. Art, style, nuance, elegance. You cannot have that with tittish spelling errors or grammarfart.

Anway, ncie tirck wtih the raerregnad lrtetes. As long as the first and last letter are correct the mind does the rest. Ti sodten owkr fi uoy od a fifetdrne garmentaren. :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not about necessary requirement. Its about maintaining aesthetic standards. Art, style, nuance, elegance. You cannot have that with tittish spelling errors or grammarfart.

Anway, ncie tirck wtih the raerregnad lrtetes. As long as the first and last letter are correct the mind does the rest. Ti sodten owkr fi uoy od a fifetdrne garmentaren. :lolol:

Do you have a masters degree in spoonerism, by any chance :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here