Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Highest-ever league placing

0 Not allowed!
    I had a chance encounter at the Great British Beer Festival this evening with the Brighton legend that is the Doc. Sadly, he's no longer a season ticket holder (he stopped when we moved to the Amex), but he is hoping to get to some of the big away matches (can anyone help him out?).

We had a brief discussion on Brighton's previous top flight adventures. Both of us remembered beating Southampton 2-0 in a midweek game at the Dell in December 1981, to go 5th in the table. However, when you look it up, I'm pretty sure every authority says our highest-ever placing during the course of a season is 6th.

Any stattos out there know for sure? I was convinced we were briefly the fifth best team in the country, albeit for only a few days.

Will we beat it this season....? (or ever....). Our highest ever final position is 13th.
    *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Were we not Champions of England back in 1910 or something like that?
      seagull wedgee

8 Not allowed!
      We've been third for several weeks now.
      6EQUJ5 2A

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by seagullwedgee View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Were we not Champions of England back in 1910 or something like that?
      Yeah, but we finished top of the Southern League. The Football League was a different competition (got the title by beating Villa in the Charity Shield).
      *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*
      Broad Blue & White stripe perseus's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      We've never finished a season in a higher position than Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal.

Up to last season it was Villas as well,. We have only been ahead of Spurs in the Southern League.

A few grounds we have never played at and others we have never won at.

Brighton = blue
      Albion = white
      Hove = just a little gold necklace stripe

0 Not allowed!
      Another record that could (possibly) be broken. In the late 70s, we were for one season (possibly two) the 12th best-supported club in the country. I suppose it's different now as it's 'tickets sold' rather than actual attendance, but I imagine we'd be around that mark this season too.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by perseus View Post
      We've never finished a season in a higher position than Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal.

Up to last season it was Villas as well,. We have only been ahead of Spurs in the Southern League.

A few grounds we have never played at and others we have never won at.
      Christ. We are fledglings. There is only one way we can move foreward; attitude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by kevo View Post
      I had a chance encounter at the Great British Beer Festival this evening with the Brighton legend that is the Doc. Sadly, he's no longer a season ticket holder (he stopped when we moved to the Amex), but he is hoping to get to some of the big away matches (can anyone help him out?).

We had a brief discussion on Brighton's previous top flight adventures. Both of us remembered beating Southampton 2-0 in a midweek game at the Dell in December 1981, to go 5th in the table. However, when you look it up, I'm pretty sure every authority says our highest-ever placing during the course of a season is 6th.

Any stattos out there know for sure? I was convinced we were briefly the fifth best team in the country, albeit for only a few days.

Will we beat it this season....? (or ever....). Our highest ever final position is 13th.
      After beating Saints we went SIXTH in the table - see the match report below from the next home programme against Villa on December 28 1981 (we should have played Leeds on December 19th but it was postponed):-

Name:  1234.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  152.2 KB
      Premier League Brighton and Hove Albion Squad Contract Durations 2017-18

Albion U-18s: A Review of the 2016-17 Season

Albion U-23s: Review of the Season - 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cross Code Man View Post
      I think, but I may be wrong, that it is the cleverest quip I've ever seen on NSC.

0 Not allowed!
      I recall 5th under Mike Bailey's tenure.
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals

12 Not allowed!
      We reached 6th in the table and we were in our 3rd season in the top flight. For most BHA fans that should have been a sunlit upland, that for the rest of our previous history, had seemed a million miles away. Were the fans rejoicing and praising the management, were they heck. Not content with solid consolidation at the top level, apparently they wanted glorious attacking football to go with it. Murmurs of discontent became a general widespread gripe about the style of play..." oh...its so boring "..." don't enjoy games anymore " etc etc. The board should have backed Mike Bailey. We were starting to establish ourselves. But, as the old saying goes..." you don't appreciate what you've got til its gone " They sacked Bailey and the rest is history.
      Just as Charlton fans, gorged on season after season of mid-table mediocrity in the top flight under Curbishley, decided they should be pushing on for better things and got a very good manager the sack, so ours did the same to Bailey.
      Be careful what you wish for.