Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Is there a 6 week break for Africa Nations Cup in January for African players?
Not necessary.

The next one isn't until 2019, and from that one onwards it will be held in June and July so not an issue mid-season anymore.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
The long-lasting thirst for a striker seems to have been quenched then, for now anyway! seems an exciting prospect, that being said you never know whether you're getting an Anelka or a Mateja Kezman with these sorts of deals but I'm hopeful that we've unearthed a real gem

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
After Watford, there's a 2 week gap over the International break which should help...... depending on how many of our squad are called away for it anyway. Are Ghana playing in that break?

Yep, on the 1st and 5th. Congo home and away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
DWANEMA
do dooo do do do
DWANEMA
Do do do do
DWANEMA
Do dooo do do do, do do do, do do do, do do d-do do do. do. do. do. DO.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The club must really rate him to pay that much, Zurich would not have wanted him to leave after only signing him in January. Seems a massive risk though on a 21 year old playing in a rubbish league, will we get another more proven striker in?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I was worried there for a moment but Ghana are playing Republic of the Congo, not Democratic Republic of the Congo. Brazzaville is fine, Kinshasa's a bit dodgy and further away. He'll be fine for West Brom. I'm relieved.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Brighton fans are mental. General consensus on this lad who really has done nothing, ever, is pretty positive. Stevan Jovetic, who is wanted by Sevilla, and has played for Inter, Man City and Fiorentina and has a one in two scoring rate at international level. Most people not interested. :shrug:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Is he going to be okay work permit wise? I would hate to be a week down the line and get a no. Looks strong and quick hope it works out.

Not sure. Birmingham tried to by a Nigerian player and failed to get the work permit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40950438

Nigeria international Ogenyi Onazi has been denied a work permit to play for English Championship side Birmingham City.

Birmingham had agreed terms with the 24-year-old to sign him from Turkish club Trabzonspor.

However the Football Association turned down a first application for a work permit for Onazi last week.

An appeal made by the club was rejected on Wednesday despite Onazi being a regular in the Nigeria national team.

Despite appearing in over 80% of the national team games, Onazi failed to earn a permit after the FA considered the West African nation's world ranking in the past two years.

They are ranked 38th in the August 2017 ranking, but Nigeria finished 54th on aggregate over the past two years.

"He'd have been a real quality signing for us," Birmingham boss Harry Redknapp told BBC WM 95.6. "Before that, we lost out on Emmanuel Agyemang-Badubadou from Udinese. He's gone to Turkey for a fortune. Now we've lost Onazi too.

"It's because the country are out of the world Top 50 rankings. Nigeria have dropped to 54th, which stops you getting the permit. If they had been inside the Top 50, it wouldn't have been a problem."

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
You might be proven right, but in all honesty none of us have a clue do we?

Had you actually heard of him before this thread was started?
Nope but come on he's only scored in one game out of 5 in the Swiss league this season. Obviously I will give him a chance but I have no expectation with this one.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Is he going to be okay work permit wise? I would hate to be a week down the line and get a no. Looks strong and quick hope it works out.

Not sure. Birmingham tried to by a Nigerian player and failed to get the work permit.

Nigeria international Ogenyi Onazi has been denied a work permit to play for English Championship side Birmingham City.

Birmingham had agreed terms with the 24-year-old to sign him from Turkish club Trabzonspor.

However the Football Association turned down a first application for a work permit for Onazi last week.

An appeal made by the club was rejected on Wednesday despite Onazi being a regular in the Nigeria national team.

Despite appearing in over 80% of the national team games, Onazi failed to earn a permit after the FA considered the West African nation's world ranking in the past two years.

They are ranked 38th in the August 2017 ranking, but Nigeria finished 54th on aggregate over the past two years.

"He'd have been a real quality signing for us," Birmingham boss Harry Redknapp told BBC WM 95.6. "Before that, we lost out on Emmanuel Agyemang-Badubadou from Udinese. He's gone to Turkey for a fortune. Now we've lost Onazi too.

"It's because the country are out of the world Top 50 rankings. Nigeria have dropped to 54th, which stops you getting the permit. If they had been inside the Top 50, it wouldn't have been a problem."

... to add

Ghana are currently ranked 50th.

Don't know their aggregate over the past two years. I assume Paul Barber does though..... :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here