Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Scam Alert - Barclays 03301170109

14 Not allowed!
    Had this come through today, and although we all get scam attempts pretty regularly I'm sure, I thought this one was a bit cleverer than most, so wanted to share and warn.

Text message comes through:

Barclays has noticed your Debit card was recently used on 09-08-2017 16:32:43, at Amazon Online for 1976.00 GBP. If you are not aware of this transaction call Fraud Prevention on 03301170109 or Intl +443301170109. Do not reply by SMS

But what is deceiving is that it comes up on the same text thread as all my other texts from Barclays telling me that the service is offline for maintenance, right back to when I first registered for the account and mobile app etc. In every way, it looks like it came from Barclays on the usual number they do drop me text messages on. Something didn't smell right, so I did check the Fraud Prevention number I have for Barclays, and it was different. I rung the Fraud Prevention number I have and they confirmed it was a scam, and scammers can send these messages through in such a way that it appears on the same email trail as genuine Barclays texts.

I assume the scam is that you ring up and that is a premium number you are paying a fortune for, and they keep you on the line trying to get you bank details, claiming they need you to pass through security.

Be warned good people. I'd suggest you stick your banks Fraud number in your contacts and if you ever get a message from your bank about Fraud, ring the number you have for Fraud, and NOT the number you are being asked to ring.

***This has been a public service announcement***
    ***You have NOT be charged for this service***
    "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Cheers fella. You can't give too many 'watch out' messages on this.

Personally I think those get caught doing this should be fed to sharks.

0 Not allowed!
      Thanks for the heads up.
      The height of two men, the weight of four, the strength of sixteen.....

1 Not allowed!
      Doesn't matter what scam they think of it won't ever fool me. If i need to get in contact with a bank over an issue i will pop into a branch or contact a number already stored on my phone as i know it's legit.
      KobanÓ liberated 26th Jan 2015 = Modern day Stalingrad
      RIP Ceylan Ozalp, 19
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zqu...dex=11&list=WL

1 Not allowed!
      SMS spoofing (make a text look as though it came from someone else) is ridiculously easy unfortunately.
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      SMS spoofing (make a text look as though it came from someone else) is ridiculously easy unfortunately.
      Had a call from that craft beer place last week offering me a deal, after I last ordered a package at Christmas when they had the ad on here. I don't every recall giving my consent (I always say don't contact me during registrations). They may have snuck it in somewhere. I'm removed from their marketing lists now.

The only dodgy calls I currently get are from a 'company' who say I was in a car crash. It's always a voice of an English lady who calls, and then I am passed onto a 'supervisor' with an Asian accent if I confirm I was in a car accident. The English voice is pretty weird - it seems as though it's pre-recorded, but adjustable by a controller depending on what my response is. If I respond with anything too complex, it's like there is no pre-recorded option they can choose, so the call hangs up. The number comes from London but does not exist when you try to call it back. Frustrating not to know where they got my number from!
      Members
      So far down Shoreham Beach, I am virtually back in Brighton!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by seagulls4ever View Post
      Had a call from that craft beer place last week offering me a deal, after I last ordered a package at Christmas when they had the ad on here. I don't every recall giving my consent (I always say don't contact me during registrations). They may have snuck it in somewhere. I'm removed from their marketing lists now.

The only dodgy calls I currently get are from a 'company' who say I was in a car crash. It's always a voice of an English lady who calls, and then I am passed onto a 'supervisor' with an Asian accent if I confirm I was in a car accident. The English voice is pretty weird - it seems as though it's pre-recorded, but adjustable by a controller depending on what my response is. If I respond with anything too complex, it's like there is no pre-recorded option they can choose, so the call hangs up. The number comes from London but does not exist when you try to call it back. Frustrating not to know where they got my number from!
      Some people are too precious. If I ordered something 8 months ago and the first contact I had was now I would hardly be concerend. Where does one draw the line to good customer service / follow up to being unwanted spam (of which there is far too much, but this is hardly an example)

However, this is really nothing to do with what OP has to say and I was pleased to be given the heads up. Spoofing a SMS may be easy but all of us can be off our guard at times.
      Don't take offence. I'm normally ruder than this.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcole View Post
      Some people are too precious. If I ordered something 8 months ago and the first contact I had was now I would hardly be concerend. Where does one draw the line to good customer service / follow up to being unwanted spam (of which there is far too much, but this is hardly an example)

However, this is really nothing to do with what OP has to say and I was pleased to be given the heads up. Spoofing a SMS may be easy but all of us can be off our guard at times.
      Obviously unsolicited spam calls are a tactic you employ in your printing business.

2 Not allowed!
      A quick way to check if it's spam is to see who it's addressed to. If they are not using your name then be suspicious! If they use Dear Customer then think something's wrong as banks will use your name always. Also hover your mouse over any links, see what shows up, if it's not linked to your bank then be aware.

At the end of the day if your suspicious then call your bank.

0 Not allowed!
      You can also contact Barclays Bank via Facebook Messenger, instead of phoning.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain