Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scam Alert - Barclays 03301170109

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I swear I've been getting an increase in spam mail and phishing scams over the last few months. Whether they claim to represent HMRC or Amazon or PayPal or banks that I've never used... it is a minefield for elderly and more vulnerable people who can get roped in easily. If only tracking down and enforcing punishments were stricter.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
On the reverse of your payment card is the banks number, only ever use that one if you get one of these phishing text/email asking you to call

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Some people are too precious. If I ordered something 8 months ago and the first contact I had was now I would hardly be concerend. Where does one draw the line to good customer service / follow up to being unwanted spam (of which there is far too much, but this is hardly an example)
Hope you aren't involved in any marketing for your business as this attitude might prove a tad expensive soon.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/data-protection-reform/overview-of-the-gdpr/

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hope you aren't involved in any marketing for your business as this attitude might prove a tad expensive soon.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/data-protection-reform/overview-of-the-gdpr/

I've worked in data for a very long time and convictions for breaches are very few and far between. Even long time repeat offenders seem to usually get away with a slap on the wrist.

Also its also a lot rarer than you'd think for a breach to actually occur. The company I worked for sold both B2C and B2B data but you'd tend to find it was the consumer market that had the disgusted of Tunbridge Wells types. We'd have a complaint pretty much every week. Some were nice and simply said please don't contact me ever again and in those instances we'd simply blacklist the contact and their data was never sold again. Other weren't so nice, we had one chap who said he'd come to our offices and murder all of us at our desks (cracking thing to document in an email!). We had a lot of people threaten to sue us, when asked what for they never could give an answer. All of our data was fully opted in if the consumer didn't know they'd opted in to something then that wasn't our fault or against the law.

In 10 years we had one complaint upheld by the DMA and that was a human error. Which was excepted by them and all that happened was we were told to improve our processes to ensure it didn't happen again.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Its not unsolicited though is it? As you are a customer

Erm, it is unsolicited if you haven't asked for it i.e. given permission for a company to call you for marketing purposes. I always opt-out of marketing when I sign up for anything. They may have hidden the procedure to opt-out away somewhere during sign-up, or I may have just missed it. Alternatively, they might not have mentioned it and just decided to call some previous customers. The reason I would have given them my number was for the purposes of the order itself, in case they needed to contact me in relation to it, not so that they could call me up many months later and try and sell more craft beer.

I don't like companies calling me trying to flog me stuff unless I have given my explicit permission for them to do so. Sorry about that. :wozza:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I've worked in data for a very long time and convictions for breaches are very few and far between. Even long time repeat offenders seem to usually get away with a slap on the wrist.

Also its also a lot rarer than you'd think for a breach to actually occur. The company I worked for sold both B2C and B2B data but you'd tend to find it was the consumer market that had the disgusted of Tunbridge Wells types. We'd have a complaint pretty much every week. Some were nice and simply said please don't contact me ever again and in those instances we'd simply blacklist the contact and their data was never sold again. Other weren't so nice, we had one chap who said he'd come to our offices and murder all of us at our desks (cracking thing to document in an email!). We had a lot of people threaten to sue us, when asked what for they never could give an answer. All of our data was fully opted in if the consumer didn't know they'd opted in to something then that wasn't our fault or against the law.

In 10 years we had one complaint upheld by the DMA and that was a human error. Which was excepted by them and all that happened was we were told to improve our processes to ensure it didn't happen again.

There does seem to be a crackdown on nuisance calls recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39877362

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-clamps-down-on-nuisance-call-crooks

People don't like it. You might be able to legally justify selling people's data on the basis that the customer didn't know they were opted-in - but it doesn't make it morally right does right? The mass selling people's data between companies is just wrong - you'd expect the number of people to willingly agree to that to be minimal.

As a student I worked in an outbound call centre for a very well known brand that hid the opt-in for marketing services for products distinct from those that were originally signed up for in their terms and conditions. Obviously lots of people said they had never signed up for it. No point in trying to get one over them and prove them wrong (as a lot of people did); I would simply offer to remove them from the marketing preferences immediately and apologise for the inconvenience - that way each call always ended on a positive note, with both sides content. Each month we had a fresh data-set, and by the end of the month you would get through to very few people as they were simply ignoring the calls. The team leaders of the same company also encouraged us to mislead people as to the monthly cost of what we were selling - something I always refused to do.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Long and the short is that it is incredibly easy for scammers and spoofers to hoodwink the banks and loan companies as the checks they make are woefully inadequate. If they can be conned so easily, it's easy for joe public to be ripped off.

Couple of years ago, I saw a £2.5k payment on a online statement, showing as gone from my barclays account, and immediately queried it with them.
It seems someone managed to sign for a direct debit at a car sales place near heathrow, and just with the knowledge of my account number, sort code, and signature, could buy a car.
It got cancelled and refunded, but when i saw copy of the signature, it was really poor compared to my own.
Kicka 1: Barclays even said, 'yes we'd already declined it once as the first time it looked even worse..' :wozza:
Kicka 2: i didnt have enough in account to cover the debit/agreed overdraft amount; why would they even approve it, 2nd time around..? :wozza:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Correct - good post
Need a dialler at all? Free trial its mint
I wonder which contact/call centre you worked with bet I have too :)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
People don't like it. You might be able to legally justify selling people's data on the basis that the customer didn't know they were opted-in - but it doesn't make it morally right does right? The mass selling people's data between companies is just wrong - you'd expect the number of people to willingly agree to that to be minimal.

I get people don't like it. I don't. Which is why my home and mobile number are both on TPS. Any marketer worth their salt will screen any telephone data against the file. It's a legal requirement.

I certainly wouldn't be fussed about a company I've bought from in the past contacting me though when I'd given them my number in the first place. I think you need to buy some more of their beer and chill out a bit.

When did morals ever come in to the business world? Is it morally right that the football club charges you £50 for a replica shirt that was made by an 8 year old for less than a quid? If people give out their personal information to companies and don't read the T&Cs then quite frankly they only have themselves to blame IMO.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Correct - good post
Need a dialler at all? Free trial its mint
I wonder which contact/call centre you worked with bet I have too :)

I worked for a data owner/broker. I'd be willing to bet we'd sold or acquired data for an agency that you worked with though.

What [MENTION=1104]seagulls4ever[/MENTION] does correctly state that these aren't two bob companies or one man bands scraping data (that does of course happen) but big household names that sell your data.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I get people don't like it. I don't. Which is why my home and mobile number are both on TPS. Any marketer worth their salt will screen any telephone data against the file. It's a legal requirement.

I certainly wouldn't be fussed about a company I've bought from in the past contacting me though when I'd given them my number in the first place. I think you need to buy some more of their beer and chill out a bit.

When did morals ever come in to the business world? Is it morally right that the football club charges you £50 for a replica shirt that was made by an 8 year old for less than a quid? If people give out their personal information to companies and don't read the T&Cs then quite frankly they only have themselves to blame IMO.

Problem is TPS/DMA/OFCOM compliance is pretty much unenforcable to off-shore companys

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

It's exactly sort of dismissive attitude from people who work in these industries as to people's legitimate concerns which annoys me. I can't imagine making a living by abusing people's personal information is particularly fulfilling. Sure people have not realised they have opted in (when done legally), but it's all very shady IMO.

It's a principle thing. I value my privacy and take care for my personal information not to be used for marketing purposes as far as I can. You have to position yourself somewhere. I take the position that any marketing calls which are not explicitly consented are acceptable - or else it's a slippery slope, as we see in so many other areas of life.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Problem is TPS/DMA/OFCOM compliance is pretty much unenforcable to off-shore companys

Very true.

It's exactly sort of dismissive attitude from people who work in these industries as to people's legitimate concerns which annoys me. I can't imagine making a living by abusing people's personal information is particularly fulfilling. Sure people have not realised they have opted in (when done legally), but it's all very shady IMO.

Blimey, I'm not sure I can be arsed to carry on with you, you are coming across like a right wet weekend simply because you had a bit of CRM. The important bit of that acronym is the customer bit. You were already their customer of course they should market to you. You'd be considered as a warm lead.

If you knew the amount of hours and money I spent running data against in house lists, TPS, MPS, Baby MPS, FPS, NCOA, mortascreen etc etc and how many ****ing DMA/Data Protection/Email law seminars I went to you'd understand I was able to sleep very well. I get there are companies out there that aren't as law abiding but they are few and far between now. I'm not sure how you can get on your high horse about it either when you've admitted on this thread cold calling is what you did for a living as a student. Everyone has to earn a crust buddy.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Couple of years ago, I saw a £2.5k payment on a online statement, showing as gone from my barclays account, and immediately queried it with them.
It seems someone managed to sign for a direct debit at a car sales place near heathrow, and just with the knowledge of my account number, sort code, and signature, could buy a car.
It got cancelled and refunded, but when i saw copy of the signature, it was really poor compared to my own.
Kicka 1: Barclays even said, 'yes we'd already declined it once as the first time it looked even worse..' :wozza:
Kicka 2: i didnt have enough in account to cover the debit/agreed overdraft amount; why would they even approve it, 2nd time around..? :wozza:

Jesus wept. These are the people the taxpayers bailed out in 2008. Should have let them go down, as it's clear that they are as incompetent as ever and have learned nothing.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Its not unsolicited though is it? As you are a customer

Yes it is. I don't get Tesco ringing me up every day telling me their latest offers just because I shop there occasionally. He may well have missed the 'No marketing calls' checkbox, but that's another issue.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes it is. I don't get Tesco ringing me up every day telling me their latest offers just because I shop there occasionally. He may well have missed the 'No marketing calls' checkbox, but that's another issue.

So because Tesco don't, no-one else should? They do email you don't they....

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Very true.

Blimey, I'm not sure I can be arsed to carry on with you, you are coming across like a right wet weekend simply because you had a bit of CRM. The important bit of that acronym is the customer bit. You were already their customer of course they should market to you. You'd be considered as a warm lead.

If you knew the amount of hours and money I spent running data against in house lists, TPS, MPS, Baby MPS, FPS, NCOA, mortascreen etc etc and how many ****ing DMA/Data Protection/Email law seminars I went to you'd understand I was able to sleep very well. I get there are companies out there that aren't as law abiding but they are few and far between now. I'm not sure how you can get on your high horse about it either when you've admitted on this thread cold calling is what you did for a living as a student. Everyone has to earn a crust buddy.
Bit harsh. I think you're slightly biased as you work in the industry, a lot of us DO find it really annoying. I once bought car insurance from the AA and they took that as carte blanche to pester me morning, afternoon and evening. I'm registered with TPS (who are brilliant at stopping reputable British companies), but as I was an AA customer their protection didn't apply. I told them all I didn't want to be contacted, but each branch was a different service and all said it 'took time' for my preferences to be recorded on the system.

However you are right, getting nuisance calls really isn't the end of the world. I solved all my problems by switching insurers and by not answering any calls (either on my mobile or landline) where I don't recognise the number. Can't remember now the last time I answered a nuisance call.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I worked for a data owner/broker. I'd be willing to bet we'd sold or acquired data for an agency that you worked with though.

What [MENTION=1104]seagulls4ever[/MENTION] does correctly state that these aren't two bob companies or one man bands scraping data (that does of course happen) but big household names that sell your data.

I am sure you did

I have worked both on and offshore and what I have seen offshore tend to not give a shit including some top companies data I walked from one job cos of it. I wonder who you worked for you seem to know your stuff and we must have crossed path its a smallish world

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here