Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal out for 8-10 weeks - broken FIBULA

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm amazed people seem to think we can shift a few players around to feel gaps in what is the toughest league going. Gross has been playing brilliantly in an advance role for us so why change all that and drop him back into the centre of midfield for an unproven youngster to take his role? All this for up to 12 weeks ? What happens if we pick up another midfield injury ? Hughton has already said we are going with a 5 man midfield for most games this season and this is the area where we need the most bodies,
I'm gobsmacked people seem to think will have enough cover. And Norwood ? He was loaned out simply because he isn't good enough for this league.. Why are people even contemplating him beggars belief.

Can't believe I am typing this, but I agree!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yep write him off. It's a break not serious ligament damage.

what I mean is, when he comes back he is going to have to find form and fitness in the middle of a premier league season, when other players will have laid claim to the starting positions in centre midfield, and we may well have done what you suggest and signed a replacement who ends up undroppable. It is much more likely now than before this injury that he doesn't come back in, that he may be loaned out or sold to another team, and we don't see him playing regularly in the premier league for us. Which would make me, at least, sad.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
We have plenty of cover, we can't sign a new player every time someone gets an injury, that's the point of having a squad.
As for the suggestion of Norwood returning... :shootself

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Normann 100% needs to be our next option as 4th choice. If we're not confident of these U23 players making the step up we should never sign them, he will be fine as #4 and he doesn't eat a 25 spot place.

No idea if Normann is good enough...............I'd never heard of him before we signed him, as with Gross, Suttner, Propper and Ryan - never heard of them before either - but I agree with your point about having U23s capable of standing up to the plate should the need arise. Sadly, I don't think we've got any home-grown U23s that meet that requirement, not yet anyway.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Why are people worrying about him taking a 'limited' squad place?
Last I saw, Towell, Ince & Kaz were in the 25. I'd rather have Beram for a fortnight than any of those three for four months (no offence intended to Towell or Kaz)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
No idea if Normann is good enough...............I'd never heard of him before we signed him, as with Gross, Suttner, Propper and Ryan - never heard of them before either - but I agree with your point about having U23s capable of standing up to the plate should the need arise. Sadly, I don't think we've got any home-grown U23s that meet that requirement, not yet anyway.

Nope. True. I hope they get Molumby a League One (at least) loan soon as he could very well be the future in that position.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nope. True. I hope they get Molumby a League One (at least) loan soon as he could very well be the future in that position.
Let's hope so. Also have hopes (not in midfield, of course) for Tilley, Connolly and JMD (when he comes back from Lincoln). Yes, it's great when we lump out millions for a player, but I'd really like to see us growing more of our own.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Gross could comfortably play alongside propper or Stephens with brown going into the 10 role.

Comfortable is an understatement, Groß is a central midfielder (like Towell & Ince) but was signed to play in a more advanced position by CH. He'll be fine. We'll only need him in that position if we get further injuries or suspensions to Stephens, Proper Dave & Sidwell.

Cover for Groß in the 10 position is Brown, Baldock when he returns and hopefully Tom Lawerence (who was exceptional at left wing for Ipswich as well as in the central role).

Sign Tom and sign him now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here