Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm delighted by our transfer business and strategy

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm talking about the policy of a few years back re. 5/6 loanees fella
Did we have any more in our starting 11 than Huddersfield had last season? It would be better if you could get people on a permanent deal, but loans can work if they're the right ones, joining the right team.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
agreed a team widely tipped by almost everyone for instant relegation
So you think that's all our team is :rolleyes:
no we can't, we are not established and cannot afford the risk. Witness what B'muff can spend now, we are not in their spending league or others in the bottom half.
We're trying to buy one striker - we can afford a decent striker. And you don't know how much TB can risk spending. He also won't want to risk us getting relegated and stuck back in the Championship where we lose money every year.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think we have gone about our business to make sure that relegation won't mean a complete rebuild and those who may leave can easily be replaced. ie if Dunk and Duffy left we have Golson and Hune to step in with continuity. A drop won't kill us.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Did we have any more in our starting 11 than Huddersfield had last season? It would be better if you could get people on a permanent deal, but loans can work if they're the right ones, joining the right team.

Weren't we having to rotate the match day squad as we had more loan players than the five that were permitted?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm one of these people who would be amongst the first to moan if I didn't approve of the way the club goes about its business - indeed I do, where I feel we're off the mark (e.g. the policy of a few years ago of getting promoted on the cheap via loans) or where I feel the club take fans as mugs (pies and beers for players anyone?)

But I have to say that the club's transfer policy this year feels excellent, and puts us in the best possible position to stay up, without compromising club finances excessively.

Each signing feels well research and thought through, and adds quality to areas of the park where we are short. I'm also confident that the club are getting value for money - the signings are effective for their price in this market. I look at Newcastle, who have spent £12m on a good second-tier winger (Jacob Murphy), and smile at the thought of us paying no more on a player who is recently capped by Holland and played Champions League football.

The three players we are reported to be after - a new back-up goalkeeper, a full-back and a striker seem spot on too. I'm sure we'll get good players in, at a reasonable price, in these positions.

Up the Albion.

You will be even more delighted before this week is out.
I am expecting us to break our transfer record again, to bring in another key player. ( May even be another Dutchman )

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I am expecting us to break our transfer record again, to bring in another key player. ( May even be another Dutchman )
Excuse me?! Elaborate please....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Tbh our transfer strategy has been good for a while now. We have one dreadful summer but all in all we have recruited well since CH has been in charge and you could easily argue fairly well during the Poyet era. Never expected anything different from the club this summer other than a careful and sensible approach. Positions identified that we wanted to strengthen and we have worked on that in a methodical order. Number 10, GK, LB, brown. We missed out on Tammy Abrahams but that's life and 2 CM missed when one failed the medical and the other just not for sale but the club know there are other options already in mind so move on and have got the Propper deal over the line at a good price again.
People on here are sometimes not realistic about what we can pay, are impatient or have played to much championship manager for their own good.
Trust the club to get the right players for the squad. They built the squad to get us here and I trust them to build the squad that keeps us here

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

This does seem to be a Strategy we pursue, pairing signings, the Israelis, Ingolstadt etc... so could be a Dutch striker or a player from PSV.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm happy with what we've got as I believe we've strengthened. However, I'm still slightly worried by the fact we've not secured a striker. The news article about Tony prepared to splash the cash is a bit worrying as it appears we've spent too long looking for cheap targets. You'll always pay a premium for strikers, we should have swallowed that pill sooner. The arrival of Propper means we need a pacy striker, given we look like we're playing a 4-2-3-1 or an adaption - they're expensive. We should have just done that sooner and allowed them time to adapt.

Who would you suggest, if we are late splashing the cash?
The only one that I have fancied even remotely in our money frame, would be Ineahacho, and then, he would have to want to come to us. It really isn't to easy to get a striker for our money, that would be good, fit in with the team ethic that was so important last season, and, want to come to a team that is favourite to go straight down again. Of all the strikers that have so far moved, is there any that we would have seriously wanted as a first choice.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
This does seem to be a Strategy we pursue, pairing signings, the Israelis, Ingolstadt etc... so could be a Dutch striker or a player from PSV.

Luuk de Jong supposedly a target for palace plays for PSV and is Dutch.
Bas Dost is a beast as well plays for sporting and another Dutchman who could be on the move at right price. He's no Baldock upgrade though defo a number 9 type. Scored a ridiculous amount of goals last year

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure a right back was ever THE priority. Bruno has that starting spot nailed down. Bong didn't.

Spot on. Rosenior is more than adequate cover too. And while we're on the subject of what we need now, I'd be quite happy with Sanchez as third choice keeper (with the option to recall Walton in January). The more money in the striker fund the better.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bas Dost is a beast as well plays for sporting and another Dutchman who could be on the move at right price. He's no Baldock upgrade though defo a number 9 type. Scored a ridiculous amount of goals last year

As long as he dosn't celebrate goals with a moonwalk . . . . .

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia

Dost will be very expensive (his release clause is said to be £60m, and Sporting has no need to sell), and his current state is similar to the infamous van Wolfswinkel (both being Dutch strikers who scored bucketloads of goals for Sporting)

Jorgensen from Feyenoord would be ideal, but sadly, Champions League football will be what makes him out of our reach

Need the striker. One injury to Murray and we are in big trouble

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm not going to ask your source, but can you give us a clue?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here