Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Railway Bell

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
If memory serves me correctly Shepherd and Neame often lease-off lesser profit making premises to other pub businesses/brands. This is how Craft Beer Co got started in Pimlico; I think it was SnN. Whatever brewery it is I think they still own a number of their pub buildings. Given the contacts maybe this is why? Just a guess though. Prof of the pudding etc....I'll investigate this weekend.

Ohh, that sounds interesting (and encouraging).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't mind if it's not football-friendly, just as not as it's not football-unfriendly, if you get me. Is it still Shepherd Neame then? If it is then I can see them getting frustrated if they love good beer.

The girl's own the pub so I'm guessing they choose what beer goes in there.

Jan 30, 2008
Last chance saloon for me..

Has gone desperately down hill the past couple of years, perfect location, always popular for home supporters pre match but the place needs some investment and to be a bit more welcoming for punters.

What's everyone's recommendations for a decent pre match beer near the station as an alternative? Bit of atmosphere and showing live football.
you need to know the right people
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'll give it a look at the weekend and report back. Sounds promising.

Enjoy!

Everything seems to be served on planks of wood so I know you'll love it ;-)
Not sure about the BBQ chef with his armpit over the hot grill though.

IMG_2616.PNG

IMG_2617.PNG

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I don't drink in Brighton now before the match, always Lewes now for me.
If I do have a cheeky one on the way home then it's always the bell, great footie pub. You wouldn't take your mrs there but that is part of its appeal!!!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The Pond was starting to get really busy towards the end of the season. Our route of choice usually goes Brighton beer dispensary, craft, evening star, the pond then the bell.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The big problem with The Railway Bell on matchday is the half an hour wait to get to the front of the queue. Before Bristol City I gave up and went and bought myself a couple of bottles from the offie on the corner next door to the cafe. Stood outside The Bell drinking em without any hassle with the same people who had just queued to get their drinks inside.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Love the Bell. Shithole. Rough. Questionable clientele. Exactly as a station pub should be. Not the sort of place I'd want to stay all day, but always worth a pint on a match day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, this and this.

Also some of the boys from days gone by drink in there.

Great to catch up.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I miss the Eclipse, people, atmosphere and leaving at 2.50pm for the game, with a group of 30 to 40.

Happy days friendships forged that are still alive all these years later. E.C.F.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here