Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things that annoy me on holiday...

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The fact that you or your missus insists on buying something that "in context" makes sense but is such a waste of money when you get home.. Limoncello, beach footwear, bottle of red wine from that tour, those clothes that made sense when it was 95 degrees at 11pm and the locals all wore because they had the physique and skin tone to make them look reasonable..

Oh and when your kids insist on making friends and asking if you can go out to dinner with their new best friends family in front of aforementioned "best friend".

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'll raise you the Concorde Room. The size of an aircraft hangar on its own and never more than about 5 people in there- and you don't have to walk through the terminal to get in

Finnair Helsinki. Own sauna.

New Concorde room changi.

Cathay cabanas at the pier in Hong Kong.

Virgin indeed! Remember when virgin was cool 25 years ago?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't get me started in why people take under 3's on sunshine holidays either. Kids that young don't need a tan and as a rule they hate flying. We took ours to Devon or South Wales instead - only a few hours in the car and it's much easier to keep them happy/quiet. As the parent you get a better holiday too.

Just got back from a long weekend in Devon with my nearly 2 year old daughter (the in-laws live down there). Six solid hours screaming each way. Much easier and quicker to go somewhere hot from Gatwick.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This was Norwigen Air the Last half hour of the flight was bumpy and the landing took a couple of attempts nothing to write home about but a number of people did clap including the air hostess

I think I may have joined in clapping after an aborted landing!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stuck in hotel waiting for tropical storm Franklin to abate, I'm getting quite grumpy due to old age.

- tattoos
- people eating in the restaurants whilst wearing baseball caps
- anyone smoking near me
- Americans talking s***e very loudly
- grown men (all Brits) wearing football kits
- failure to have signed a striker before now

Its getting awkward to wade through the non-football stuff on the Big Board

http://www.northstandchat.com/forumdisplay.php?62-The-Other-Stuff-Archive

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

You and Danny Baker
Had two days in Bradford on Avon. Very nice no Russians and a short trip to Bath. A lovely time and nothing to moan about at all.
Something of a non-league holiday destination that Rev - lovely place Bradford on Avon.

Seems to me a lot of people are going to the wrong places, or the wrong type of holidays?
and wrong time of year some of them.

Arriving at your ***** star hotel then finding out they don't have a full English breakfast option and no bingo in the evenings.

Continental Europeans wearing white socks and sandals skulking around the pool at 5.30am with fifteen towels.

Russians (also foreigners in general and most of my fellow countrymen).

Dear oh dear, the star system is no more than a rough guide to the type of facilities available and in many parts of the world is self regulating. A rough guide is as follows;
3 Star: Multiple room options, restaurant, gym facilities and conference room/ business facilities available.

4 Star: Multiple rooms/ suite options, restaurants and bars on site, business facilities, concierge services, swimming pool, gym and creche.

5 Star: Luxury accommodation with all of the above facilities and more. (Bingo and English breakfasts unless explicitly offered are unlikely to be included.

I can only hope that this is somewhat useful for Naive Brits, who have no clue how the world operates.

The whole holiday friendship thing is odd. I'm a bit of a grumpy anti social thing but why do people feel the need to do it? It's odd , just get on with your own holiday.
Always happy to exchange pleasantries with people from anywhere in the world and in any language we can collectively muster. Exchanging Christmas cards, reunions eek no way. Actually put me down for team anti-social.

Not universally popular but my own pet hate is cruise ships. Who needs 5,000 people all turning up to gawp at a tiny statue in Copenhagen, or 10 shiploads gridlocking Dubrovnik or Venice. So many of them are like automatons, waddle along following a guide stop in the worst possible places, take some crappy photos, stop somewhere else inconvenient, repeat several times and waddle back to the boat.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
but I can't get along with this idea that people have some sort of human right to be away from children at all times should they choose.

Really? We were all kids once agreed. But if people choose (and pay) to be in adult only gaffs, then why not?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Stuck in hotel waiting for tropical storm Franklin to abate, I'm getting quite grumpy due to old age.

- tattoos
- people eating in the restaurants whilst wearing baseball caps
- anyone smoking near me
- Americans talking s***e very loudly
- grown men (all Brits) wearing football kits
- failure to have signed a striker before now
Maybe don't go to benidorm next time..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It really annoys me when neymar turns up at the beach club I'm frequenting in st tropez. Only to take the damn thing over and have a big party.... drinks mostly on him.

I really hated that a couple of days ago [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northerners

Just recently, we paid good money to have a nice comfy Cabina by the pool, nice comfy seating, waiter service, shade, all that jazz, Some northerner stood at the entrance trying to blag it in telling the member of staff he didn't have to pay as it had gone 3pm, it became embarrassing listening to him but eventually he backed down and buggered off. Half hour later him and his family turn up and start making himself comftable in the one next to mine, so I'm thinking he's given in and paid up, but no, he'd gone over the fence so when the SAME member of staff turned up to throw them out he went through the SAME fūcking argument.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Why not? What's wrong with not wanting to be around children if you so desire? I don't have any children and have never wanted to have any. I've enjoyed a few holidays with girlfriends to Sandals etc where there are no kids. It's bloody fantastic.

No issue with Sandals etc, but the original post seemed to imply that it was unfair/unreasonable to have to sit near children on a plane.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Really? We were all kids once agreed. But if people choose (and pay) to be in adult only gaffs, then why not?

As said above, no issue. But you have to accept you'll be around kids in many situations, and that children (and their parents) deserve not to be barred from too many places.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

Dear oh dear, the star system is no more than a rough guide to the type of facilities available and in many parts of the world is self regulating. A rough guide is as follows;
3 Star: Multiple room options, restaurant, gym facilities and conference room/ business facilities available.

4 Star: Multiple rooms/ suite options, restaurants and bars on site, business facilities, concierge services, swimming pool, gym and creche.

5 Star: Luxury accommodation with all of the above facilities and more. (Bingo and English breakfasts unless explicitly offered are unlikely to be included.

I can only hope that this is somewhat useful for Naive Brits, who have no clue how the world operates.

Jul 7, 2003
Reading this thread reminds my why it is a long time since I went on a package holiday and why I generally avoid the Spanish tourist resorts. Enjoyed them when I was younger but these days they all seem to be the same - English breakfast, Sky Sports, EastEnders, etc.

My wife is ex Virgin cabin crew and she could never understand the sheer numbers of people on the Orlando flight clearly heading to Disney World with toddlers, what a waist of money! The rows she witnessed between parents over who's turn it was for the kid on the lap and tour of duty round the plane.

This one I can sympathise with to a degree. We took both of ours to Florida just before they were 3 years old. We have friends in Florida so we were mainly out to see them but I also understand why some people do it. Once you are there, it is very toddler friendly and, rather than sit around a pool getting slowly drunk, you can have a grown up holiday with the little ones. At just under three, the toddlers are old enough to appreciate the shiny things etc of the theme parks but you don't have to pay for them. They do child swaps on the big ride so one adult foes on the ride while the other waits with the child and then you swap over without having to rejoin the long queue.

As for laps of the plane, I did dozens over the years but then again, I always like to get up and about on a long haul flight as it is much better for your health then sitting down cramped in your seat for 9 hours.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Reading this thread reminds my why it is a long time since I went on a package holiday and why I generally avoid the Spanish tourist resorts. Enjoyed them when I was younger but these days they all seem to be the same - English breakfast, Sky Sports, EastEnders, etc.

This one I can sympathise with to a degree. We took both of ours to Florida just before they were 3 years old. We have friends in Florida so we were mainly out to see them but I also understand why some people do it. Once you are there, it is very toddler friendly and, rather than sit around a pool getting slowly drunk, you can have a grown up holiday with the little ones. At just under three, the toddlers are old enough to appreciate the shiny things etc of the theme parks but you don't have to pay for them. They do child swaps on the big ride so one adult foes on the ride while the other waits with the child and then you swap over without having to rejoin the long queue.

As for laps of the plane, I did dozens over the years but then again, I always like to get up and about on a long haul flight as it is much better for your health then sitting down cramped in your seat for 9 hours.

When my kids were small we decided that Jersey was a reasonable flight distance, that is Jersey CI and not New Jersey. The flight took off from Gatwick and then hit fog over the Channel Islands. The pilot started circling waiting for it to clear and a 40 minute flight promptly turned into a 2 hour plus flight at which point people started queueing for the toilet. So my dad takes my son, number one to the toilet, where he sits down and promptly throws up in his pants, just as the pilot announces that we are to return to Gatwick. New pants at Gatwick and back out on the afternoon flight, so no major dramas.

This summer's trip flights and destinations, there were tons of small kids and I reckon 99% were beautifully behaved and a credit to their parents.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here