Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things that annoy me on holiday...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
People who request the hotel floor above you just so they can practice their scraping-chairs-across-the-floor-in-the-middle-of-the-night technique.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
People who request the hotel floor above you just so they can practice their scraping-chairs-across-the-floor-in-the-middle-of-the-night technique.

They get above my room too - everywhere I go. Even when I'm on the top floor (which is scary)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've never understood why anyone would take a baby/toddler on a flight, I look at some parents who have gone down this foolish evolution after a flight and they look like they need rehab, all before holiday.

Can't they wait for four years ( child can feed itself on plane)before they waist their hard earned cash in what will be a shit holiday for them!

We thought this so went to the Vendee last June, catching the ferry from newhaven then constant screaming in the car for seven hours. It rained constantly for seven days. As such we went to Spain in October and it was much easier. If we didn't have such miserably unreliable weather in this country, though, I guess it would be different.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Brits abroad are quite simply embarrassing, especially in all inclusive deals, which I would never do again. Had a 'wonderful' experience in Cyprus a few years ago, Brits queuing for beer at 10 in the morning, putting union jacks towels on sun beds during the night, yes we are the worst in the world for this, Agadoo full blast in the afternoon by the pool, screaming kids, brits moaning that the food is foreign, clapping when the planes lands, getting up and collecting their luggage before plane has stopped or seatbelt signs are turned off. Bloody replica football shirts, singing 'here we go', god I sound like that monty python sketch now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sweaty Geordie's that own shitty little bars with football flags adorning the walls, they then proceed to talk to you like a pleb because they live and work in the sun and you don't.
Crap beer and food, tart of a daughter working behind the bar and a miserable missus.
Frequented by the same people all week as their local and get to know the barman like a friend while the kids are in there from lunchtime until 2 in the morning playing pool.
(Don't go in them then Raleigh)

Oh and fat Brits getting up at 6am to put a towel on 20 sun beds for their Jeremy Kyle family.
It's not all Germans you know.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sweaty Geordie's that own shitty little bars with football flags adorning the walls, they then proceed to talk to you like a pleb because they live and work in the sun and you don't.
Crap beer and food

Usually John Smith's, Carling and Strongbow on tap, all the vile stuff you wouldn't dream of drinking at home.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've been on adults only all inclusives for the last few years as I don't like screaming kids ruining my holiday. However they don't seem to have adults only flights yet so you always get parents who can't be bothered to control their little darlings and who glare at you when you complain that their little treasure has just chucked up all over your seat whilst you've been away from your seat to go to the loo (yes it happened this year and I made them sit in the slowly congealing mess). Not a good start to the holiday

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sounds like some of you really need to start holidaying elsewhere. The places you visit sound be like a nightmare.

When Snowdonia's on your doorstep why would you go through the hell of airports and flying? "I am not a number (in an airport departure lounge surrounded by wankers, the flight delayed five hours) I am a free man!"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Or their trotting horse impressions as the female totters around in stilettos, I ALWAYS get someone like that in the room above me. I have stopped staying anywhere where I can't have the top floor or a bungalow/separate building.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Or their trotting horse impressions as the female totters around in stilettos.

Rule 1 of holiday-makng: Never ever go on holiday anywhere where there are women who feel the need to wear stilettos.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I've been on adults only all inclusives for the last few years as I don't like screaming kids ruining my holiday. However they don't seem to have adults only flights yet so you always get parents who can't be bothered to control their little darlings and who glare at you when you complain that their little treasure has just chucked up all over your seat whilst you've been away from your seat to go to the loo (yes it happened this year and I made them sit in the slowly congealing mess). Not a good start to the holiday

Everyone was a child once, including you. Children make noise, get sick, get restless etc. I'm not commenting on the above as it doesn't sound like the parents were particularly helpful or polite, but I can't get along with this idea that people have some sort of human right to be away from children at all times should they choose.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Choose a destination, hire a villa or apartment online direct from the owners, book a flight and a car from the airport.

The flight can sometimes be a little annoying but the moment you go through baggage control and get in your car, you leave it all behind :thumbsup:

And this from a proper grumpy old git !

PS if you're on a flight to Croatia in the next few weeks, keep the noise down

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Everyone was a child once, including you. Children make noise, get sick, get restless etc. I'm not commenting on the above as it doesn't sound like the parents were particularly helpful or polite, but I can't get along with this idea that people have some sort of human right to be away from children at all times should they choose.

I'm not sure he was talking about the right to be away from children. Just a desire for parents to keep their little darlings under control and understand they're not the centre of everyone else's universe. Certainly, compared to when I was a kid in the 70s/80s, things are very different. Flights/cafes/restaurants - even pubs - are sometimes more like a play school these days. It's good we've moved on from a packet of crisps in the car park, but learning when to behave is still a pretty useful life skill.

Puts on tin helmet.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
People who insist on crowbarring the fact that they are on holiday/are going on holiday/have recently been on holiday into every single post they make on an internet forum, no matter the topic.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm not sure he was talking about the right to be away from children. Just the need for parents to keep their little darlings under control. Certainly, compared to when I was a kid in the 70s/80s, things are very different. Flights/cafes/restaurants - even pubs - are sometimes more like a play school these days. It's good we've moved on from a packet of crisps in the car park, but learning when to behave would still be a pretty useful life skill. Puts on tin helmet.

Don't disagree with that at all. I would say the majority of parents who take kids into these places keep them occupied/sat down etc, but you are always going to notice the ones who are out of control, in spite of it being the minority. I think the tone of that post however was much more general in terms of wanting away from kids "there's no adults-only flights YET". There's also a line drawn between what kids do and poor behaviour/lack of control. I.e. kids do make noise when it's not ideal, have tantrums, get sick etc. No amount of top parenting is going to stop toddlers doing these things from time to time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here