Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things that annoy me on holiday...

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
People in all inclusives/buffets loading their plates so high they can barely balance everything as they totter back to the table. Then leave half of it uneaten anyway before starting again on another plate
Brits shouting at locals in English when they clearly don't speak it as a first language, thinking the additional volume will help
Russian holidaymakers at beach resorts - loud, rude, arrogant and pissed virtually all the time

This! I thought some Brits abroad were a loud, pissed-up badly-behaved national embarrassment, but they're angels compared to the Ruskies.

I was on holiday in Goa last year, and the Russians were awful; fat (the women look like Pat Butcher from Eastenders a few years ago), loud, acted like they owned the place, and treated the locals and staff like sh*t.

Post-Communist wealth and freedom has gone to their heads, and now they have no sense of self-restraint or respect for others.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Brits (usually Northerners for some reason) who strike up a friendship with a couple of other Brits, and then spend 2 hours standing having a conversation (usually about the food) - in the middle of the swimming pool.

F***-off and sit in the cafe/bar/restaurant/on your sun-loungers and natter with your new friends, so everyone can, er, swim. Thick selfish anti-social ****s

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Everyone was a child once, including you. Children make noise, get sick, get restless etc. I'm not commenting on the above as it doesn't sound like the parents were particularly helpful or polite, but I can't get along with this idea that people have some sort of human right to be away from children at all times should they choose.

Why not? What's wrong with not wanting to be around children if you so desire? I don't have any children and have never wanted to have any. I've enjoyed a few holidays with girlfriends to Sandals etc where there are no kids. It's bloody fantastic.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
To be fair it's not that hard, a couple of hours is fine. Can't understand people who go long haul with toddlers though, what's the point? The kid won't know any difference about the destination and the resulting jet lagged toddler is going to ruin not only your holiday, but your first few days back home as well.

...everyone else's too!

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why not? What's wrong with not wanting to be around children if you so desire? I don't have any children and have never wanted to have any. I've enjoyed a few holidays with girlfriends to Sandals etc where there are no kids. It's bloody fantastic.

Same. People assume because you are not delighted and spellbound when kids are around assume you don't like kids. I do like kids, they can be great. I like sharks. I don't have any of them either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kids in Airport Lounges allowed to roam free, fingering all of the sandwiches then leaving half eaten muffins, rolls and bags of crisps all over the place simply because they were free.
Puts me right off of my G&T it does.

The Virgin Clubhouse aside, you're arriving too early for your flight if you use lounges.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Virgin Clubhouse aside, you're arriving too early for your flight if you use lounges.
Nah, BA First lounge at T5 is awesome. Also, can't avoid an early arrival as you need to allow for M25 horrors. Trip for me has been anything from 40 mins to over 3 hours.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bad behaviour from children is not inevitable, it's preventable. When ours were little if we took them into a pub or restaurant we always made sure we had something with us which would keep them quietly busy - a few bits of paper and some colouring pencils always do the trick, or a book to read. We're talking aged 6 and 2 here. Yet plenty of times saw other parents who thought that it was their kids' right to run around like they were in a playground amongst mainly adults trying to enjoy a quiet pint or lunch. No wonder people want adults only

Don't get me started in why people take under 3's on sunshine holidays either. Kids that young don't need a tan and as a rule they hate flying. We took ours to Devon or South Wales instead - only a few hours in the car and it's much easier to keep them happy/quiet. As the parent you get a better holiday too.

Totally agree with first part.

Second part- we took our 1 and 3 year olds to Mallorca in June. They absolutely loved it. No issues on the flight and had the best time ever being able to just play in the pool all day in the sunshine.

90% of the time the main issue with kids on holiday isn't the kids- it's the parents. Bad parenting ruins other people's holidays.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
People who insist on crowbarring the fact that they are on holiday/are going on holiday/have recently been on holiday into every single post they make on an internet forum, no matter the topic.

And posting thread asking where they can watch the Brighton game because they were silly enough to ignore the FIFA website to see when its the international breaks

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Nah, BA First lounge at T5 is awesome. Also, can't avoid an early arrival as you need to allow for M25 horrors. Trip for me has been anything from 40 mins to over 3 hours.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'll raise you the Concorde Room. The size of an aircraft hangar on its own and never more than about 5 people in there- and you don't have to walk through the terminal to get in

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think the thing is with kids on holidays is some parents are going on holiday purely for themselves. They want to sit in the sun by the pool getting sozzled all day. They figure if the kids have unlimited access to burgers, crisps and pop they will be happy. They may be for a time but will soon get bored and off their mittens on sugar and corn syrup. They also let them wander off, treating other guests and staff as unpaid minders.

Fortunately for me you don't find many of these types while touring the churches of Northern Ireland or exploring Hanovarian cathedrals.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As an aside on this thread so apologies. I've never been on an all inclusive because :

- You have to get up at 07.00 for a Sunbed.
- It's full of Russians
- The food is tasteless crap
- The walls are thin and the tossers next door make loads of noise.

Are any of the sweeping generalisations true or am I talking shite?

Yes clearly you have never been AI with those points - points 1,2 and 4 are nothing to do with AI anyway

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Same. People assume because you are not delighted and spellbound when kids are around assume you don't like kids. I do like kids, they can be great. I like sharks. I don't have any of them either.

The message I usually try to convey is: "It's not that I don't like kids. It's just that I don't like your kids."

And no, I don't have any either. I never saw the point.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Love this thread! I will add the annoying git who asks how your holiday is going, but it is just a ruse so that he can tell you what HE has been doing, insinuating that all the choices and decisions that you have made are CRAP - he had either considered and discounted that trip, found a cheaper/better/quicker option on that trip, knows a better bar/restaurant than the one you enjoyed, has an "understanding with the hotel/bar manager/waiter"; ultimately telling you he is having by far a better holiday than you are! This of course explains why he spends every evening at the bar on his own as his own family have got completely fed-up with him, while he looks to feed his ego.. git..

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Love this thread! I will add the annoying git who asks how your holiday is going, but it is just a ruse so that he can tell you what HE has been doing, insinuating that all the choices and decisions that you have made are CRAP - he had either considered and discounted that trip, found a cheaper/better/quicker option on that trip, knows a better bar/restaurant than the one you enjoyed, has an "understanding with the hotel/bar manager/waiter"; ultimately telling you he is having by far a better holiday than you are! This of course explains why he spends every evening at the bar on his own as his own family have got completely fed-up with him, while he looks to feed his ego.. git..

If you've been to Tenerife he's been to Elevenarife.

Another thing I hate about holidays is when your girlfriend puts all her bags and other needless shite down on the airport hall floor to find her lip balm, picks up every bit of natty tat she'd deemed necessary to have on an hour and a half flight to Gran Canaria but leaves a purse with 2/3rds of our holiday money changed up into Pesetas on the floor. Surprisingly it had gone when she realised an hour later and went rushing back to find it. And then rather than enjoying the diving lessons, trips into the mountains and other stuff you had saved up for all year you spend 10 days walking around or sitting on the rammed beach with screaming kids next to burger bars and perverts only being able to afford meals and a couple of drinks out a day. Don't know about you but that's what I hate about holidays.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll raise you the Concorde Room. The size of an aircraft hangar on its own and never more than about 5 people in there- and you don't have to walk through the terminal to get in

They wouldn't let a pleb like me in there [emoji23][emoji23] Can go straight into the First lounge from checkin now as well........

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The whole holiday friendship thing is odd. I'm a bit of a grumpy anti social thing but why do people feel the need to do it? It's odd , just get on with your own holiday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The message I usually try to convey is: "It's not that I don't like kids. It's just that I don't like your kids."

And no, I don't have any either. I never saw the point.

Why do some parents remark they are only children werent you ever a child, does that give them the right to be unruly and annoying to others.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here