Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's Striker Problem

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Oh good grief.

Their opening post is on here is very poor. If that's the standard of their blog, they really need to improve it before it's ready for the masses. And if a bit of criticism for a poorly written post is too upsetting, then maybe they're not ready to be doing a blog yet.

Presumably they're quite young, and yes it's great that they're enthusiastic and having a go, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to publish work that isn't ready yet. Better to tell them straight now and get things fixed before the blog reaches a wider audience. There's no point in pretending everything is wonderful if it isn't, you'd just set them up for a fall later.

You learn from taking chances and making mistakes, not hiding away. The poster has learned that there is a need to improve but he or she has learned it in an unpleasant and avoidable way, and one of which some should be ashamed.

The point is that critique is good, sneering and mocking and condemning less so.

There is a definite recurring theme here on NSC that it is "acceptable" to be particularly vile to those seeking to publish and promote journalistic projects regarding the Albion, probably fuelled by envy at even the gumption to try, let alone succeed, in such efforts.

We get it - how dare they publish and seek to attain on this topic which I know so much about, is so dear to my heart? They must be a chancer, and a hack, and further yet a swine! How dare they and could they even seek to make a career of it! Snarl, gnash!

It seems to unleash a real nastiness now and again on this forum and your post here looks like apologia on that behalf and to that effect, a softer and more thoughtful rendition of the same behaviour and possibly more odious for it.

Hark ye faithful, as the Connoisseurs and Stately Men of the NSC and Albion sit in their Reasoned Judgement!

Last edited:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Thanks for everyones concern ( or not so ). My post on here was written badly, I admit, but that isn't my normal standard. I wrote it very quickly and didn't proof read it. As for me deleting the blog, it wasn't down to any posts on this thread; instead other things.

Well don't be discouraged. Take any (constructive) advice on board and carry on. If you take pleasure in writing, that's all that matters.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Oh good grief.

Their opening post is on here is very poor. If that's the standard of their blog, they really need to improve it before it's ready for the masses. And if a bit of criticism for a poorly written post is too upsetting, then maybe they're not ready to be doing a blog yet.

Presumably they're quite young, and yes it's great that they're enthusiastic and having a go, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to publish work that isn't ready yet. Better to tell them straight now and get things fixed before the blog reaches a wider audience. There's no point in pretending everything is wonderful if it isn't, you'd just set them up for a fall later.

No one said pretend everything is wonderful. There's away to go about things. My point was that you should give constructive criticism rather than just act like a bunch of dicks.

You acted like a dick by the tone of your post, along with some others. This is not the way to help a youngster improve their writing skills. Admit you're in the wrong and move on.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
:rolleyes:

Nice to see someone ( in fact many people ) have spent a small part of their day posting a childish response to my thread. Hope I was worth your time and glad you all lead such exciting lives!

In your original post you asked for feedback... I didn't read your blog before it was deleted so I can't comment on it, but if you still want feedback I can offer some general thoughts:

1. Most important: always always always know who your audience is and why you are writing for them. Are you writing for outsiders who don't know anything about BHAFC, casual fans or hardcore supporters? In this case you got a (unjustified) hostile response because you misjudged your audience. Your original post suggested people on here might not have realised we need a striker. The tone of the post might have been okay for people who don't know the club, but wasn't right for the kind of people you get on NSC who already know this kind of thing. So always be really clear with yourself who your audience is, and don't pitch your article to the wrong audience (as happened in this case).

2. Always try to iron out typos and simple errors, e.g. by getting a mate carefully to proof read what you write and point out any mistakes. In this case, your OP contained a few errors. That's not really a problem if it's just a regular post, but if you're trying to persuade people to read your blog it doesn't give a good impression if there are mistakes in your writing.

3. Keep going. I'm sorry that you deleted your blog post. Don't let some online nastiness stop you if this is something you want to do. The people involved are (probably) actually decent blokes who got carried away with their criticism. So don't take it to heart and remember that having a go at something is always better than sitting there being a keyboard warrior.

Hope you don't find any of the above patronising, but you asked for feedback so that's mine. Good luck.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
In your original post you asked for feedback... I didn't read your blog before it was deleted so I can't comment on it, but if you still want feedback I can offer some general thoughts:

1. Most important: always always always know who your audience is and why you are writing for them. Are you writing for outsiders who don't know anything about BHAFC, casual fans or hardcore supporters? In this case you got a (unjustified) hostile response because you misjudged your audience. Your original post suggested people on here might not have realised we need a striker. The tone of the post might have been okay for people who don't know the club, but wasn't right for the kind of people you get on NSC who already know this kind of thing. So always be really clear with yourself who your audience is, and don't pitch your article to the wrong audience (as happened in this case).

His page wasn't a simple statement that we need a striker, it was a decent appraisal of possible options to meet that need. I wish the author would put it back up, it showed potential. It was a million miles from the worst thing I've ever read and the grammar/typos weren't any worse than the Argus.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For a few moments this thread had a very Jamie feel in it's direction !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was hardly a flaming was it!?

Just a bit of general teasing, no actual stinging criticism of the OP or the blog. Did anyone actually say anything that cutting? I can't see much other than a usual forum type responses to be honest...are we going a bit soft? :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
really? if any of my three young lads had written that i'd be happy and encouraging.
So would I, but I'd encourage them to proof read it and check it before posting.

there's plenty of poorly written junk on here
But if any of it is a link to a blog, then it's going to get the same treatment.
and there's (probably) a rather crestfallen youngster now. personally, i'd rather see a little encouragement
But the OP doesn't say 'hi, I'm 13 and looking for some encouragement', so I don't know who they are. Maybe their parent could encourage them. And if they're crestfallen they can pick themselves up. IMO a blog needs to be better written than the first post.

That argument may hold up if there was something remotely constructive about any of the comebacks.
So you don't think English lessons would help?

You learn from taking chances and making mistakes, not hiding away. The poster has learned that there is a need to improve
Ok, cool.
but he or she has learned it in an unpleasant and avoidable way, and one of which some should be ashamed.
I think you're being a bit fragile. How old do you think the OP is? I'm sure they get harsher treatment at school.

There is a definite recurring theme here on NSC that it is "acceptable" to be particularly vile to those seeking to publish and promote journalistic projects regarding the Albion, probably fuelled by envy at even the gumption to try, let alone succeed, in such efforts.
I think you're quite wide of the mark with the last bit. We've had a lot of journalistic projects promoted here in the past, often trying to make money out of the support here, and so people do react against it. Not because they're envious though.

We get it - how dare they publish and seek to attain on this topic which I know so much about, is so dear to my heart? They must be a chancer, and a hack, and further yet a swine! How dare they and could they even seek to make a career of it! Snarl, gnash!
Er, no.

No one said pretend everything is wonderful. There's away to go about things. My point was that you should give constructive criticism rather than just act like a bunch of dicks.

You acted like a dick by the tone of your post, along with some others. This is not the way to help a youngster improve their writing skills.
Nothing in the original post said it was a youngster. You might think it's obvious because of the writing, but no, there are plenty of examples of poorly written posts on here, even by so called journalists.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NSC can be a brilliant site at times, where members band together to achieve some great things. At other times it seems to be full of sanctimonious cliques of people sneering and belittling others. This is sadly the latter.

and I can't believe I didn't contribute. :facepalm:

#BetterLuckNextTime.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Sensible ripostes. I'd say it is a noticeable trend that comments get nastier when someone exhibits a work that has wings beyond NSC, and if my comments seemed fragile it will be in frustration at that behaviour as it appears in life in general - that is to say A LOT - all sorts of people torn down by the merest of comments from those they ought not to respect, where the comments are more truly based on the commentators (commentors?) own interpretation of reality, and an ego-importance desire to be correct that x or y is difficult or impossible

there is also an aspect of those who wield their egos on these pages which I suppose I shouldn't get put-out by... since I am doing the same but for a less populist audience

after all this it's probably a palace troll

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Oh come on. This thread is very tame compared to some of bullying before (Hun).

Anyone for a curry?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
As I'm sure a lot ok you know, Brighton are on the market for a striker, and the Argus are reporting that we are willing to break a transfer record again for one. The future being banded around is that our budget for one is 20mil. If this is the case I'm wondering who everyone thinks the Albion should fork out their huge cash sum for.
I have, in fact, written a short blog post on this topic, and if people wouldn't mind checking it out it is theguidetobhafc.wordpress.com . Any feedback appreciated.:smile:

Stop WINEING you big girls BLOWSE !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Oh good grief.

it seems too much of an automatic reaction though nowadays just to have a go first without even really considering (or reading) the material.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
So would I, but I'd encourage them to proof read it and check it before posting.

But if any of it is a link to a blog, then it's going to get the same treatment.
But the OP doesn't say 'hi, I'm 13 and looking for some encouragement', so I don't know who they are. Maybe their parent could encourage them. And if they're crestfallen they can pick themselves up. IMO a blog needs to be better written than the first post.

So you don't think English lessons would help?

Ok, cool.
I think you're being a bit fragile. How old do you think the OP is? I'm sure they get harsher treatment at school.

I think you're quite wide of the mark with the last bit. We've had a lot of journalistic projects promoted here in the past, often trying to make money out of the support here, and so people do react against it. Not because they're envious though.

Er, no.

Nothing in the original post said it was a youngster. You might think it's obvious because of the writing, but no, there are plenty of examples of poorly written posts on here, even by so called journalists.

Trig you are one of the best posters on here. Think you are being a bit harsh on this one though just my opinion

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
As I'm sure a lot ok you know, Brighton are on the market for a striker, and the Argus are reporting that we are willing to break a transfer record again for one. The future being banded around is that our budget for one is 20mil. If this is the case I'm wondering who everyone thinks the Albion should fork out their huge cash sum for.
I have, in fact, written a short blog post on this topic, and if people wouldn't mind checking it out it is theguidetobhafc.wordpress.com . Any feedback appreciated.:smile:

Put it back up and give the rest of us a chance to read. :) And keep doing what you are doing ignore any crap insults and take any criticism constructivley fair play to you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here