Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Campbell

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Back to the point. Try this for size:

It's from a fine album, 'Meet Glen Campbell'. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was very young when he used to sing about being " A linesman for the county" and I always hoped he'd get his refereeing badge someday. Seems not now but RIP Glen Campbell.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I believe in being respectful when people pass on and I expect he was a lovely fella with many friends and family going to miss him dearly. Because of this, it is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you that in my opinion his music was utter crap. Worse dirge imaginable.

Corrected for you.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back in the 60s his clean cut, right wing, pro-Vietnam war image clashed greatly with the views of many of us at the time - only step or two up from 'I'm an Okie from Muskogie'. Also, on his shows, and when on programmes like TOTP etc, he nearly always just sang - so only those ITK realised he was a very good guitarist, which didn't improve his status in the days when Clapton, Hendrix and co. were our heroes. So, I was never a big fan, but really rated By the Time I get to Phoenix and especially Wichita Linesman.........which he didn't write! He made a good job of them though!
Good documentary though, and Campbell came across very well on the radio a few years ago, on his last tour of the UK.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Back in the 60s his clean cut, right wing, pro-Vietnam war image clashed greatly with the views of many of us at the time - only step or two up from 'I'm an Okie from Muskogie'. Also, on his shows, and when on programmes like TOTP etc, he nearly always just sang - so only those ITK realised he was a very good guitarist, which didn't improve his status in the days when Clapton, Hendrix and co. were our heroes. So, I was never a big fan, but really rated By the Time I get to Phoenix and especially Wichita Linesman.........which he didn't write! He made a good job of them though!
Good documentary though, and Campbell came across very well on the radio a few years ago, on his last tour of the UK.

i hear you. i have a friend who is a reasonably well known country singer from nashville who has similar views. i just switch off and listen. phoenix is the perfect song, campbell and webb

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was very young when he used to sing about being " A linesman for the county" and I always hoped he'd get his refereeing badge someday. Seems not now but RIP Glen Campbell.

:lolol:

Lovely stuff

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
i hear you. i have a friend who is a reasonably well known country singer from nashville who has similar views. i just switch off and listen. phoenix is the perfect song, campbell and webb
Are you allowed to say who your friend is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here