Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Campbell

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I believe in being respectful when people pass on and I expect he was a lovely fella with many friends and family going to miss him dearly. Because of this, it is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you his music was utter crap. Worse dirge imaginable.
It's a good thing Glen was so "gentle on your mind."

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
He'd be a legend even without his own singing career:

"Campbell made his name in the music business as one of the top session guitarists in Los Angeles, and helped hone producer Phil Spector's famous Wall of Sound technique.

He toured for three months in 1965 with the Beach Boys, filling in for singer Brian Wilson after he suffered a breakdown.

Campbell played on hundreds of tracks including Daydream Believer by The Monkees, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling by The Righteous Brothers, Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra and Viva Las Vegas by Elvis Presley."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40870474

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think that many people don't differentiate between the many forms of dementia but there are commonalities including memory loss but also behaviour changes. Physical decline is almost the final and most merciful stage when the person we knew and who knew us has long departed. I watched Glenn's last performance on TV when he had to have a lyric sheet in front of him but still couldn't manage many of the words to songs he had been playing for decades. He was diagnosed in 2011 and with average life expectancy between 4 and 10 years and having not been seen since 2015 his passing is no surprise but no less sad for that.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Saw him in Eastbourne in the early eighties - he was a great performer and even played the bagpipes on stage as a throw back to his origins.
Some memorable songs in his time !

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I first heard him when I was around 7 or 8. I liked him him until I was aged about 13, when I discovered that he wasn't cool and then spent a decade deriding him. For the last 30 years I've admired his technical singing ability, his song writing, and his soul. He's just about the only country singer I like at all, but him I really liked, cool or not. RIP. Thanks for some great songs, and some great sideburns.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
When I was young I'd often wake up to the sound of my father singing Rhinestone Cowboy as he got ready for work. I've had a soft spot for GC ever since. Great songwriter with a great voice. RIP

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I believe in being respectful when people pass on and I expect he was a lovely fella with many friends and family going to miss him dearly. Because of this, it is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you his music was utter crap. Worse dirge imaginable.

Your view.

Sometimes it's best to say nothing.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I never worked out what a 'Rhinestone Cowboy' was. But I wanted to be one anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh no. So sad. RIP Glen. Rhinestone Cowboy, Witchita Lineman, just two of his timeless classics.
To be fair, Wichita Lineman and By the Time I get to Phoenix - that's probably the only two I'll remember him for, but I do realise he had a terrific musical career - Beach Boys, Monkees, and heaven knows how many other great records he contributed to. There as a lovely interview with him on Radio 4, a year or two back, when he made hi last visit to the UK - came across as a real gentleman. I even forgave him for writing Rhinestone Cowboy for scores of talentless 'musicians' to belt out in pubs on a Friday night!

RIP..........still on the line.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I never worked out what a 'Rhinestone Cowboy' was. But I wanted to be one anyway.

I guess that a rodeo Cowboy is a showman, a bit like in the circus. The rhinestones would be sown onto their riding duds, Think of the rhinestone suits of Elvis in his later days.......lol
Mind you a real young showman really rode those angry critters!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here