Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Betting moral dilemma

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
So I'm looking for NSC as the voice of reason 🙈

I put on a footy bet of 4 away teams each week. I have a group of friends who follow my bet each week. Not really sure why as they rarely come in but none the less they follow it! So last week contained a couple of long odds teams and the pay out on Thursday was £1,660 for my £20 stake (I use oddschecker to ensure I get best odds possible and have a few accounts). Anyway a friend of mine texts on sat saying can i put his bet as he's on holiday and he'll pay me back when he gets back this week. No problem I say. When I look again at oddschecker that £20 returns £2,080. The bet didn't win but let's just assume it did. What would you do? For me there are 3 options. Do I A: take the higher payout myself and give him the lower one, which I'm sure he'll be over the moon with just winning? B: give him the higher payout and just say good luck to him to asking for it to be put on when price was better and accept he wins £400 more than me? Or C: add the two payouts together and divide by two so we get equal pay out?

Like to think of myself as a pretty reasonable chap, but generally interested to hear what people's thoughts are to what would be the right thing to do.

Over to you......

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
If the odds had been less when you put his on and it had won, would you have paid him the lesser amount?

If so, you have to pay him the higher now.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So I'm looking for NSC as the voice of reason ��

I put on a footy bet of 4 away teams each week. I have a group of friends who follow my bet each week. Not really sure why as they rarely come in but none the less they follow it! So last week contained a couple of long odds teams and the pay out on Thursday was £1,660 for my £20 stake (I use oddschecker to ensure I get best odds possible and have a few accounts). Anyway a friend of mine texts on sat saying can i put his bet as he's on holiday and he'll pay me back when he gets back this week. No problem I say. When I look again at oddschecker that £20 returns £2,080. The bet didn't win but let's just assume it did. What would you do? For me there are 3 options. Do I A: take the higher payout myself and give him the lower one, which I'm sure he'll be over the moon with just winning? B: give him the higher payout and just say good luck to him to asking for it to be put on when price was better and accept he wins £400 more than me? Or C: add the two payouts together and divide by two so we get equal pay out?

Like to think of myself as a pretty reasonable chap, but generally interested to hear what people's thoughts are to what would be the right thing to do.

Over to you......

B, without doubt. His bet paid out more than yours, shit happens. Ask yourself the same question if the payouts had been reversed - would there then be any doubt about what he got paid out? I doubt it. Why would the decision change because he got a bigger payout.?

Now, as I gave him his winnings, I might *casually* mention the situation. I would hope that a mate would at the very least say "Oh? Well, let's just divvy the pot up 50/50 then". Or even, "It was your tip in the first place - I'll take the lower payout", if he was especially emotionally intelligent. However, these outcomes are his call, not yours.

IMO, like.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Give him the higher amount, but tell him he owes you £210 commission :thumbsup:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
B.

If I am honest, if this is really a dilemma for you I don't think you should be betting on behalf of others.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Seems to me that you do the work, so take the higher payout.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I stopped reading at this

how anyone can write War And Peace yet save themself three letters with this so called word is beyond me.

How anyone can be bothered to post a reply on a thread they've not even read, is beyond me too. But hey that's NSC for you. Sorry Northstandchat :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What would you do? For me there are 3 options. Do I A: take the higher payout myself and give him the lower one, which I'm sure he'll be over the moon with just winning? B: give him the higher payout and just say good luck to him to asking for it to be put on when price was better and accept he wins £400 more than me? Or C: add the two payouts together and divide by two so we get equal pay out?
Either B), or when placing his bet message him saying you've done it and ask if he'll split the bets if it comes in.

How anyone can be bothered to post a reply on a thread they've not even read, is beyond me too. But hey that's NSC for you. Sorry Northstandchat :thumbsup:

Oh no, I read the rest of the thread, it was fascinating. I've got plenty of time on my hands as i'm on my "holibobs" I'm just waiting for the wife to get in, I'll do her some dinner as I'm a good "hubby" , a quick visit to the "loo" then I'll be off to the "footy". and if I've time see if I "can get" a beer on the way!

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I would of told him and hoped he offered me some of the extra £400. If he didn't I wouldn't put a bet on for him again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't do betting, but could you (as an insurance) put an extra £20 onto his stake, so that you guarantee yourself half of the larger payout if it comes off? Add in your original stake and you'll be laughing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here