Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kaz and Ince

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
More or less the same squad that saw us finish 4th under Poyet, albeit a year older. The only major losses were Bridcutt and Barnes in January if memory serves correctly. A generic starting XI could have consisted of:

Kuszczak
Bruno
Upson
Greer
Ward
Ince
Andrews
Crofts
Orlandi
Buckley
Ulloa

Not as good as the squad we had in the last championship season sure, but not exactly the shit show it would become under Hyppia with a lesser squad and kamikaze defending.

Good point. That midfield looks weak though, whereas the defence doesn't and, inexplicably (in hindsight, at least), limited Dunk to a handful of opportunities that season. FWIW, Orlandi was injured for most of the season, so his appearances were similarly restricted, but there was a decent cast vying for that position: Barnes, Lingard, KLL, March.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If Kaz is fit and happy to be here as an impact sub I'd keep him. He's great to bring on against a tiring defence and always capable of making something happen.

I can't see a future for Ince however.

What you say about Kazenga was very true when we were in League One and then the Championship. I can't see him even making the bench in the Premier League to be honest.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
League One Div 1 all the same.

Actually it's League 1, Division 3 all the same.

Pity they didn't just leave the names the same though, Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4. Calling the second division 'The Championship' is perverse - the 'Champions' of England are the team that wins the PL (aka the first division).

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Thing is, he didn't play the holding midfield role at all... common myth. He was given license to smash his way around midfield disrupting everything - and he was bloody good at it. However, his ball-playing skills let him down unfortunately, and that's going to restrict him from playing top level football.

Ince's eye-catching moments tended to follow a mistake. His pace helped him out a lot. Apart from a good game against Arsenal, he never really fulfilled the potential that Oscar saw in him. I'd say there have been too many lapses in concentration and poor decisions in games which has done for him at the Albion. Plus his 'melt' moment in the wall away at Watford which they scored from was unforgivable!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The team under Oscar was very average. It is no exaggeration to suggest we fluked 6th place. Better sides were falling over themselves to give a play-off place away. With the loss of Ulloa, Oscar would have struggled the same as Sammi. Neither was exactly a brilliant manager (notwithstanding Burke's interference) Oscar just seemed a nicer bloke and looked more interested on the touchline.

A lot of shite is written on here, but come on now. Oscar is quite literally in a whole different league to Hyypia.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Can't see Kaz being an impact sub. He's lost some pace and will be up against faster players than he's been used to. Squad player for cup games is the best for him I fear.

theboybilly

A lot of shite is written on here, but come on now. Oscar is quite literally in a whole different league to Hyypia.

Really? Take Ulloa out of that team and Oscar would have had nearly as much trouble as Hyppia. It was Leo that gave the Albion it's best moments of the season. I didn't think Garcia's tactics of constant passing across the back four was that different from Sami's to be perfectly honest. Hyppia had a worse squad to work with (although I'll agree, obviously, that he was out of his depth)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Really? Take Ulloa out of that team and Oscar would have had nearly as much trouble as Hyppia. It was Leo that gave the Albion it's best moments of the season. I didn't think Garcia's tactics of constant passing across the back four was that different from Sami's to be perfectly honest. Hyppia had a worse squad to work with (although I'll agree, obviously, that he was out of his depth)

I remember after Hyppias first game in charge coming away thinking I have no idea what formation we just used and the players appeared to be thinking the same, Oscar kept it simple to get the players we had at that time to perform to or near to there best ability

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here