Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal legend Tony Adams strikes £200m deal to buy Crystal Palace (says Daily Star)

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
"Within your means"? ???

How much has Bloom pumped into your club over and above your football generated income? Over £200 million isn't it?

Are owners not allowed to invest in something they own, have Donner and Bltzen or the fab four never put any cash into the club? When you borrow money from people like the banks and agillo and don't pay them thats the debt you need to be worried about IMHO.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
"Within your means"? ???

How much has Bloom pumped into your club over and above your football generated income? Over £200 million isn't it?

And out of that money we have a state of the art Stadium that certain clubs can only dream of, we have a training centre, that is rated as one of the best in the country, and now we have a team in the PL.

Envy is a very ugly trait in a person.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Are owners not allowed to invest in something they own, have Donner and Bltzen or the fab four never put any cash into the club? When you borrow money from people like the banks and agillo and don't pay them thats the debt you need to be worried about IMHO.

Of course they are. I'd love to be owned by the same kind of benefactor as Brighton have in Bloom, a very rich genuine fan. But to suggest that Brighton came back from the brink of non league football, via the Withdean, to the premier league gaining a spanking new stadium and training ground en route, by operating 'within your means' is frankly laughable.

Does anyone honestly think that without TB's amazing generosity, you'd be in the same position as you find yourself now?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Within your means"? ???

Mr Bloom is one of us though. A lifelong fan, whose family have been involved with the Albion for many years. If you'd seen him dancing around and going mental in the away end at Brentford last season, you'd know that. He just happens to be a lot richer than any of us.

If you don't understand what the "debt" means in the context of Brighton & Hove Albion in its current position, then you don't know a lot about football. We don't owe millions to banks, or finance companies, or opportunist Americans who are out for what they can get and who will pull the plug or lose interest the moment their potential windfall looks like it won't materialise to the anticipated extent.

Tony Bloom's investment in the Albion will, in all probability, never be repaid. Because he's not in this to make money. His loans will probably end up being converted to shares in the long run. Obviously he'd like the club to become self-sustaining, but the only way a football club manages this in the current age is either to manage very prudently at a low level with little expenditure on wages or players, or to reach the Premier League.

He's not going to turn around tomorrow and say "I'm out, give me my money back". It's a debt in the same way that Blackburn Rovers owed Jack Walker back in the day. He never demanded that money back. "Man saves his boyhood team from oblivion and leads them into the Promised Land": it's a much nicer story than Abramovich, or the Abu Dhabi folk, or that Russian bloke at Bournemouth.

I'm sure Parish is the same with you lot, albeit he's not as rich. Ultimately, we all know it pisses you all right off that we've finally managed to claw ourselves back from the depths after a very long time swimming around in the darkness. You might still be slightly ahead of us on the pitch, but nonetheless your envy of what Tony Bloom has done for Brighton & Hove Albion is palpable, and that, ultimately, is what your posts on this thread come down to.

Suck it up, buttercup :wave:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
And out of that money we have a state of the art Stadium that certain clubs can only dream of, we have a training centre, that is rated as one of the best in the country, and now we have a team in the PL.

None of which was paid for by living 'within your means' though, was it?

Which was the only point I was questioning.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Of course they are. I'd love to be owned by the same kind of benefactor as Brighton have in Bloom, a very rich genuine fan. But to suggest that Brighton came back from the brink of non league football, via the Withdean, to the premier league gaining a spanking new stadium and training ground en route, by operating 'within your means' is frankly laughable.

Does anyone honestly think that without TB's amazing generosity, you'd be in the same position as you find yourself now?

Of course not and I am pleased we have him. But please tell me what is the difference to him putting money into the club ,which Palace fans claim are debts, but all the money the fab four put into buy the club and the £100 mill put into the club by Donner and Blitzen is NOT a debt?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Do you have a mortgage? If so - I assume you consider yourself not living within your means?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Of course not, and to suggest it is risible.
We were managed very well financially in the Withdean years, Dick Knight deserves huge credit (no pun intended) for bringing the club back to Brighton, and even managing three promotions in a run down athletic stadium, where Glenn Murray was our record signing at 350,000 quid.
We then won the lottery in football terms, with the Sainted Tony Bloom giving the club a huge amount of money, so we could build a future for the club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Whose means? Tony Bloom is a fan who is extremely rich. He has paid for everything in full. Yes, there are profits and losses, but that's how businesses are run. Nobody is owed any money, except Tony Bloom, and he has converted some of that money into shares.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You are owned by the Famous Four who are rich fans (before the Americans came in) so what is the difference? You have four benefactors, we have one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course not, and to suggest it is risible.
We were managed very well financially in the Withdean years, Dick Knight deserves huge credit (no pun intended) for bringing the club back to Brighton, and even managing three promotions in a run down athletic stadium, where Glenn Murray was our record signing at 350,000 quid.
We then won the lottery in football terms, with the Sainted Tony Bloom giving the club a huge amount of money, so we could build a future for the club.

Adam Virgo sold to Celtic for £1.5 million to pay the Capital Gains tax on the Goldstone, because 10 years had passed, and no new ground. Our opponents (political) had hoped to bankrupt us, but failed. The Forty note fund, the Alive & Kicking campaign, they all helped us survive.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You are owned by the Famous Four who are rich fans (before the Americans came in) so what is the difference? You have four benefactors, we have one.

The difference is that they were owned by fans and they sold out and are majority owned by people more interested in money than Crystal Palace. I doubt either of the yanks even knew who Palace were when they became cpfc2010 a newly formed club.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Did BHAFC pay all their debtors in full in the 90s when you got yourself in trouble?

No, they did not, but they were board members and investors and to avoid going into Administration they agreed to pay off the debtors at a reduced amount. A bit different than going into Admin and not paying local builders, charities and clearing debts and then buying players etc. This is when a nice Mr Archer came in and saved us ???????

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Adam Virgo sold to Celtic for £1.5 million to pay the Capital Gains tax on the Goldstone, because 10 years had passed, and no new ground. Our opponents (political) had hoped to bankrupt us, but failed. The Forty note fund, the Alive & Kicking campaign, they all helped us survive.

Don't forget Norman Cook and some others locally (Brown?), who help to keep us going during those days. it was amazing that we did and gained 4 promotions by living within our means and selling players to survive.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No. I was able to pay my mortgage and do everything I wanted without the need for a generous benefactor helping me out financially every year. So yes I lived within my means.

We didn't NEED a generous benefactor.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't forget Norman Cook and some others locally (Brown?), who help to keep us going during those days. it was amazing that we did and gained 4 promotions by living within our means and selling players to survive.

Yes, Norman, bless him, paid in £1M just for a parking space at Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here