Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Michael Oliver - Referee for Man City game [and Everton]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched the game from my seat in Lower West and saw nothing wrong with most of Olivers decisions and would think the assessor gave him good marks.

Did you not notice the increasing levels of irritation in the stadium and around you at Oliver's decisions ? The ironic cheering and applause when he'd (finally) give something our way, having given Everton the benefit of just about every 50/50 and marginal decision that he possibly could ?

Quite apart from the HUGE letoff he gave them when Baines blatantly shoved Gross over at the far post, a couple of his decisions in particular defied belief. The one where Murray literally just stood there and had a defender jump into him from behind and tumble to the ground. Somehow that was construed as a foul by Murray. And a similar instance when the ball was bouncing around in their area next to Propper. Gueyne jumped up to challenge for the ball, landed on his feet, and then comically (and belatedly) toppled over backwards onto the floor almost in slow motion, with Propper having done nothing except land at the same time next to him. Free kick Everton, natch.

Astonishing.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Did you not notice the increasing levels of irritation in the stadium and around you at Oliver's decisions ? The ironic cheering and applause when he'd (finally) give something our way, having given Everton the benefit of just about every 50/50 and marginal decision that he possibly could ?

Quite apart from the HUGE letoff he gave them when Baines blatantly shoved Gross over at the far post, a couple of his decisions in particular defied belief. The one where Murray literally just stood there and had a defender jump into him from behind and tumble to the ground. Somehow that was construed as a foul by Murray. And a similar instance when the ball was bouncing around in their area next to Propper. Gueyne jumped up to challenge for the ball, landed on his feet, and then comically (and belatedly) toppled over backwards onto the floor almost in slow motion, with Propper having done nothing except land at the same time next to him. Free kick Everton, natch.

Astonishing.

I thought he gave a lot to Everton, but he got the main ones correct in my book: The Baines one was not a foul, not in a million years, we would be screaming if it was given against us. Murray is very clever and does that a lot and sometimes gets away with it.Cant remember the Propper one. I don't think he was any good overall, but he got those right, IMHO and was correct on the penalties. A 6 out 10 performance. Have a look at the Everton site, they thought he was appalling for them, football is all about opinions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought he gave a lot to Everton, but he got the main ones correct in my book: The Baines one was not a foul, not in a million years, we would be screaming if it was given against us. Murray is very clever and does that a lot and sometimes gets away with it.Cant remember the Propper one. I don't think he was any good overall, but he got those right, IMHO and was correct on the penalties. A 6 out 10 performance. Have a look at the Everton site, they thought he was appalling for them, football is all about opinions.

It certainly is.

I cannot fathom how you would consider Baine's shove on Gross at the far post as anything other than a foul. Gross was goalside, Baines was caught out, he made no challenge for the ball and simply shoved him in the back the moment Gross had jumped for the header. That's a foul, plain and simple, and we could have zero complaints if one of our defenders had done the same and conceded a pen.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
It certainly is.

I cannot fathom how you would consider Baine's shove on Gross at the far post as anything other than a foul. Gross was goalside, Baines was caught out, he made no challenge for the ball and simply shoved him in the back the moment Gross had jumped for the header. That's a foul, plain and simple, and we could have zero complaints if one of our defenders had done the same and conceded a pen.

Well as I said opinions, but never a penalty on my book, football is a contact sport and if you give that one, then they should have another pen when Propper I think fouled the £40 Million Icelandic, which was more of a foul than the Baines one. I know we all watch the games with our Blue and White glasses on, but think he was 100% correct not to give both those.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have only seen the push on Gross live and in the replay on the screens after the game. I was surprised it didn’t make the MOTD footage so maybe it wasn’t, but it looked a clear cut penalty to me during the game, and also on the replay I saw. Is it online anywhere?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nice wind-up BG. He was bullied by Rooney for almost the entirety of the game. When Rooney dived and didn't get the free kick you could see all the spit as shrek screamed a torrent of abuse at Oliver. In my refereeing days no player who did that would have stayed on the pitch.

Last season Guy Butters said on the radio commentary at one game that we lacked a man who got in the refs ears constantly and needed somebody to do it like Chippy and Nobby used to do

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Last season Guy Butters said on the radio commentary at one game that we lacked a man who got in the refs ears constantly and needed somebody to do it like Chippy and Nobby used to do

In the ear or giving abuse to the ref..best to differentiate..what the two players you were refer to were up to were not what Rooney was doing

I think we’ve seen from posts on this thread that he probably made poor decisions for both sides ...and with all the ironical cheering etc for you to say you hardly noticed him does make me smile ...I think the ref had a good game when City were here but Sunday was not his finest hour imho

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the ear or giving abuse to the ref..best to differentiate..what the two players you were refer to were up to were not what Rooney was doing

They argued every decision that went against us as Rooney did that went against Everton. very little if any difference except that Rooney is more well known and higher profile.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I agree with you the Murray he’s a very experienced and knows ways of unsettling defenders...but I think I know the one the Op was referring to and Oliver indicated he had backed into the defender which seemed ludicrous from my vantage point

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They argued every decision that went against us as Rooney did that went against Everton. very little if any difference except that Rooney is more well known and higher profile.

What Butters was indicating was very different than an irate Rooney who really should have been booked...big difference Imho and I saw both players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here