Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson tips us to go down

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two things occur to me re Merson and the Amex:

1. Sheffield Wednesday play-offs, 2nd leg - that WAS an intimidating atmosphere and if we need three points to stay up in our last home game of the season I don't see why it wouldn't be the same all over again.
2. When Swansea came up pundits thought they'd struggle but they finished 11th and 9th in their first two season and the atmosphere they created in the Liberty Stadium (capacity 21,000) was a big factor. Our ground hold 9,000 more than that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slightly unfair. I mean he's pretty successful at gambling so...............oh.

That gave me a near coffee splutter embarrassment. :lolol:

I tip Merson to go down....to the off licence.

larus

I've very quickly without much thought or analysis (some may say that's par for the course) created a list of the teams and bucketed together. It's probably not an unreasonable statement to make about our prospects nor that of Huddersfield. I know it's very subjective, but if you were a neutral what would your thoughts honestly be?

Definitely safe
Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Tottenham

Probably safe.
Leicester
Southampton
West Ham

Could get into a relegation battle
Crystal Palace
Stoke
Swansea
Watford
West Brom

Would not be a surprise to most if in the relegation mix
Bournemouth
Brighton
Burnley
Huddersfield
Newcastle

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this."

Personally, I think he is right there. It's something we need to change.

Well we can't relocate to some Northern shithole, so we'll have to live with it I guess

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've very quickly without much thought or analysis (some may say that's par for the course) created a list of the teams and bucketed together. It's probably not an unreasonable statement to make about our prospects nor that of Huddersfield. I know it's very subjective, but if you were a neutral what would your thoughts honestly be?

Definitely safe
Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Tottenham

Probably safe.
Leicester
Southampton
West Ham

Could get into a relegation battle
Crystal Palace
Stoke
Swansea
Watford
West Brom

Would not be a surprise to most if in the relegation mix
Bournemouth
Brighton
Burnley
Huddersfield
Newcastle

If/when Sigurdsson leaves I can see Swansea being in a relegation battle. Watford may also struggle with an unproven midfield pairing of Hughes and Chalobah.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
They all have. That prat Mick Quinn did on TS this morning. They know nothing!!!! Would love it if we prove them all wrong.

I heard that. He said Newcastle have a tough start with Spurs but should pick up points in there next HOME games against teams like Brighton.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The thing is, we all know far more about the Albion's prospects than almost all of these pundits. Most, like Merson, will have seen a handful of our Championship games at best and know nothing about the players we've brought in, who are far from household names. They're basing this simply on 'newly-promoted' + 'no PL experience' + 'haven't spent a fortune' = 'relegated'. Great incentive for the players to show them up. The more teams that come down expecting a nice easy ride the better, I reckon.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think this year may be a little different, somehow.

He DOES have a point. Multi-millionaire European players probably don't enjoy visiting the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth and Palace, with the fans close to the pitch in their ramshackle grounds. The Amex must be a far nicer place to come and play, with its big open spaces and ultra-modern facilities. I can't see anyone being intimidated by it.

So what you are saying is that we should move back to Withdean :moo:

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It's been a number of years since I was intimidated at an away ground as a fan, nevermind the comforts and seclusion the players get.

I hardly think any of our players are going to think, "damn i'm not looking forward to going to old trafford!" It's a ****ing morgue like many others.

This.

We can fill ours every week and make one hell of a noise when we want to. It doesn't have to be a caldron of hate like Bellend Road to make a difference.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"I like Anthony Knockaert, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the Premier League, he's the sort of player that gets you off your feet."

Translation: "Anthony Knockaert is the only one of their players I've 'erd of. Oh, and oozat ovva one....Curry ?"

Oh. And players like Knockaert get you ON your feet, not off them. You hopeless degenerate cockney shambles.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
"But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this."

Personally, I think he is right there. It's something we need to change.

Agreed. And we need to all change it. That means the fans have to start working together to generate atmosphere. Note to the police box crew - get chants going that everyone will get involved with and don't play oneupmanship of any sort. I know the west stand lower are a bunch of lettuces at the moment, but they need nurturing.

We need to be appealing for every decision and screaming at every opposition player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed. And we need to all change it. That means the fans have to start working together to generate atmosphere. Note to the police box crew - get chants going that everyone will get involved with and don't play oneupmanship of any sort. I know the west stand lower are a bunch of lettuces at the moment, but they need nurturing.

We need to be appealing for every decision and screaming at every opposition player.

Even the ones that go our way? :moo:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Ooh, you're hard.:lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here