Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson tips us to go down

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this." Quote by Merson

He's a moron. This literally means nothing in modern football. Players are professionals and referees protect players from hostile challenges. It's not the 80's anymore.

If this was the case, why didn't Burton or Yeovil have better home records in recent championship years? Why haven't Swansea been relegated from the premiership? How have Newcastle managed two recent relegations with their 'intimidating' St James park?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Regardless of whether his proved right or wrong he is 100% accurate in his statement. The Amex is not intimidating in the slightest for away fans or players and that won't change whether we go down or stay up.

Agreed bar the 1st half of the Sheff Weds playoff Semi in 2016. If we could replicate even 50% of that in the PL it would make such a difference

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this."

Personally, I think he is right there. It's something we need to change.

Bottles of piss and smashing coaches then. Because you won't turn the Brighton fans into a volatile, hostile crowd.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bottles of piss and smashing coaches then. Because you won't turn the Brighton fans into a volatile, hostile crowd.

Oh yes I will.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You have to remember most of these pundits know literally nothing about the EFL. Merson will know more about Brighton by Christmas than he has in his entire life. If he's tipping us to go down (and that isn't unreasonable) he could at least base it on some decent analysis.

But he's right about it being a great place to come for a day out, many PL fans I know can't wait and the older ones have missed it.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He's no going to say we will be a top ten club is he , also I quite like the fact he stated the thing about other teams fancying it down here , he is bloody right , we seem to make things very comfy for visiting teams , club and fans alike , if we can't show up and roar the team on for 90 mins now when will we ? let'em avit

It's been a number of years since I was intimidated at an away ground as a fan, nevermind the comforts and seclusion the players get.

I hardly think any of our players are going to think, "damn i'm not looking forward to going to old trafford!" It's a ****ing morgue like many others.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
His opinion is pretty meaningless... we could go down, we could stay up, nobody knows! He's just going for the easy answer that the promoted teams are logically amongst the teams that will be near the bottom of the table come the end of season, but in truth anything could happen. Before today I would have said that it is likely but not certain for us to be relegated, the same as could be said for Newcastle & Huddersfield. But with Propper signed, a decent striker, and right back added to the team we're much closer to competing with the likes of Swansea, Burnley, Watford, Palace, Bournemouth and West Brom.

Who F@cking knows what will happen! Certainly not Paul Merson.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well we ARE one of the favourites, however you don't really have to be a football expert to tip us to go down. I know absolutely nothing about motor racing, but at the start of an F1 season I could say that I fancy Lewis Hamilton to do well and not be proved that wrong.

As others have said he's bang on about people not being afraid of coming here though. However at least we've stopped applauding the away fans for turning up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
More from Merson:

Newcastle 17th

They won't be happy with this, but they haven't really recruited yet. I worry for them, and I think the fans will keep them up. This is a Championship team, and they haven't really added much top-flight quality.

The fans didn't manage to keep Newcastle up in 2015/16 so why should it be any different now? Even more so if they're watching a team they know to be Championship and not good enough for the Prem. Merson is "predicting" they'll stay up purely because they're a big club and he doesn't want their fans on his back.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Why are people getting all arsey just because he predicted relegation? It's his opinion and I would guess that most fans would predict a final table that is quite similar to what he has predicted. Lots on here have predicted a bottom 6 place and it is likely that there will only be a few points between 15th and 20th.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
"But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this."

Personally, I think he is right there. It's something we need to change.

We could start with stop applauding away teams.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Paul Merson & Mick Quinn. images-2.jpeg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Regardless of whether his proved right or wrong he is 100% accurate in his statement. The Amex is not intimidating in the slightest for away fans or players and that won't change whether we go down or stay up.

Agreed. I still think it a mistake to give away sides a whole bank of visiting fans to shoot at. Teams WILL enjoy coming here.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
One out of 3 is awful. We wont go down. City won't win the league but Arsenal will miss out on top 4. Again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here