Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson tips us to go down

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
At this stage of the season with signings still being made and with a squad largely untested at premier league level it is no surprise we are being tipped for the drop. Even us fans have no real idea how we will cope with the premier league.

These predictions are best ignored and wait until xmas where we will have a much better indication of how competitive we are in this division

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Bit Harsh those knocking his addictions because he tipped us to go down.

Merson is alright . Decent bloke.

Gets things wrong but seems alright to me.
He's getting paid to make predictions so it's hardly "knocking his addictions" to point out that he's shit at making them, as proven by his gambling record.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We need desperately to make our atmosphere better. It is poor. But how many extra points will that get us? None probably. It'll just make the day more enjoyable.

Utter bollocks.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Merton is obviously a terrible tipster :) but makes for a cracking guest on the Quickly Kevin Will He Score podcast (episode 3 I think). Which is superbly funny. If you like Josh Widdicombe.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Football grounds and atmospheres have been getting steralised for years. How many grounds TRULY have an intimidating atmosphere these days where players and fans "don't want to go"?

For years now when we have gone to big grounds, I've often been struck by how quiet they are, and I certainly have rarely felt any form of intimidation. Merson, like so many of those pundits, are just stuck in a World of 20 years ago. Football grounds are nice, friendly, family and corporate orientated venues up and down the country now. We are no different in that respect, and don't need to try to change it.

I think it would be a mistake for Albion fans to start this season thinking they have no part to play in the club's survival this season. The atmosphere vs Doncaster, Palace, Arsenal in the Cup, Sheff Wed in the play-offs was turned up to the max and I think it did affect the players and their performances. I've seen refs send players off at the Amex because of the reaction from the crowd.

There will be occasions when we'll be drawing with the likes of Stoke with 5 mins to go when anything can happen. Our support in those closing moments could be the difference between winning and losing, survival and relegation. I don't agree with him that the Amex is the cushiest of awaydays - more so that Bournemouth, Watford? - but I take his point that the atmosphere needs to be at a level to make the opposition feel they are playing away from home.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Great logic, Merse.

No team in the world looks forward to playing at the slum that is Selhurst, with their 19th Century facilities and collection of spotty Always Ultras behind the Holmesdale end goal. Yet curiously, quite a lot of them appeared to rather enjoy playing there last season, not least fellow relegation candidates Swansea (crap most of the season: did the double over Palace) and Burnley (one away win ALL season...at Selhurst).

Nor forgetting the day Sunderland (SUNDERLAND!) put 4 past them before half time :lolol:

:goal: :goal: :goal: :goal:

... and their away attendance!

Was absolutely amazed the club caved on that, as if makes a scrap of difference to anything or anyone except those who want to know the attendance

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There will be occasions when we'll be drawing with the likes of Stoke with 5 mins to go when anything can happen. Our support in those closing moments could be the difference between winning and losing, survival and relegation.

Problem is, our support in those closing moments will be queuing up at the train station.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're not sure ourselves whether we're going to stay up or not, so I'm not surprised that Merson has tipped us for relegation.

And he's a ****.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Was absolutely amazed the club caved on that, as if makes a scrap of difference to anything or anyone except those who want to know the attendance

Caved in on what? There was no pressure for the club to do so.

Maybe they just finally realised that this announcement during play only served to gee up the away crowd which was particularly noticeable when a substantial, but quiet villa following suddenly sprung into great voice when it was announced, and unsurprisingly hasn't happened since.

Your opinion differs to many others but feel free to be absolutely amazed to your heart's content.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for that. No explanation, too arrogant for that eh? Prick.

Well, fairly self explanatory? The suggestion that our atmosphere is poor is - in my relatively educated (been to plenty of other big grounds in last few years) opinion - bollocks. Nothing personal against you. Attack the argument, not the person. No need for the ad hominem stuff mate. :thumbsup:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well, fairly self explanatory? The suggestion that our atmosphere is poor is - in my relatively educated (been to plenty of other big grounds in last few years) opinion - bollocks. Nothing personal against you. Attack the argument, not the person. No need for the ad hominem stuff mate. :thumbsup:

That's just it you didn't. 'Utter Bollocks' is not attacking any argument really is it?

IMO you're also wrong, The atmosphere doesn't inspire. I've done the 88 of the 92 so my argument is also educated. The noise isn't great, a lot of that is the ground design, the small north stand, spread of fans around the stadium etc but it's rarely loud from where I sit on the halfway line, unless its a generic 'seagulls' etc and even then... I'm not one for singing myself so it's not a dig at anyone as such but it really isn't brilliant. I'm sure it'll be better than average tomorrow especially if we are competitive but as a rule I do think it's poor for an attendance of the size we get. What can be done? Not much I suspect, I'd hate drums or stupid flag waving like the pikeys go in for but that's just me. The world is changed and I guess it is what it is.

Take your point about the rest of it. Apologies.

Yoda

English & European
Noticed on The Debate last night on Sky Sports PL that Merse was saying the same, and both Jeff & Kammy replied why didn't they lose more than they did last season/it was a bit of a fortress for us last season. :lol:

SAC

May 21, 2014
That's just it you didn't. 'Utter Bollocks' is not attacking any argument really is it?

IMO you're also wrong, The atmosphere doesn't inspire. I've done the 88 of the 92 so my argument is also educated. The noise isn't great, a lot of that is the ground design, the small north stand, spread of fans around the stadium etc but it's rarely loud from where I sit on the halfway line, unless its a generic 'seagulls' etc and even then... I'm not one for singing myself so it's not a dig at anyone as such but it really isn't brilliant. I'm sure it'll be better than average tomorrow especially if we are competitive but as a rule I do think it's poor for an attendance of the size we get. What can be done? Not much I suspect, I'd hate drums or stupid flag waving like the pikeys go in for but that's just me. The world is changed and I guess it is what it is.

Take your point about the rest of it. Apologies.

You are going to hate tomorrow then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here