Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson tips us to go down

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
It won't be easy for us again. We would like to think we may progress a little from this year but we may not be as lucky with injuries and we may struggle. I say "may" I wonder what the bookies will think. I'd settle for 15th or 16th

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It won't be easy for us again. We would like to think we may progress a little from this year but we may not be as lucky with injuries and we may struggle. I say "may" I wonder what the bookies will think. I'd settle for 15th or 16th

True about our great luck with injuries.

But we have another £100m of ADDITIONAL income to build squad quality and numbers this summer.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006

But we have another £100m of ADDITIONAL income to build squad quality and numbers this summer.

That's all well and good but a good few other teams will have that amount of money to throw around. It doesn't put us at a great advantage over all the teams. Does it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's all well and good but a good few other teams will have that amount of money to throw around. It doesn't put us at a great advantage over all the teams. Does it?

This season we (with Hudd) had a huge disadvantage with a thin squad and some players that found the PL a struggle at times.

Next season that squad/quality disadvantage is narrowed.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
This season we (with Hudd) had a huge disadvantage with a thin squad and some players that found the PL a struggle at times.

Next season that squad/quality disadvantage is narrowed.[]

I completely agree Weststander, only trouble is other likely relegation candidates.....Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace, Watford etc etc will be better off too. The club's who come up......Wolves......minted with high ambitions, will not struggle in my opinion. Cardiff may struggle but may do a Huddersfield/ Brighton and defy the bookies. That leaves the play off winners all big strong clubs. Can't see who we have an advantage over really. Yes we have more money to strengthen but we will be playing in an even more competitive league......It going to be hard just to tread water. I think we will improve but it's not going to be easy or straightforward.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Next season that squad/quality disadvantage is narrowed.[]

I completely agree Weststander, only trouble is other likely relegation candidates.....Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace, Watford etc etc will be better off too. The club's who come up......Wolves......minted with high ambitions, will not struggle in my opinion. Cardiff may struggle but may do a Huddersfield/ Brighton and defy the bookies. That leaves the play off winners all big strong clubs. Can't see who we have an advantage over really. Yes we have more money to strengthen but we will be playing in an even more competitive league......It going to be hard just to tread water. I think we will improve but it's not going to be easy or straightforward.

We can only worry about ourselves. Hughton, TB, Winstanley and the players won't fret for one second about the squads of Palace, S'ton, Burnley, Cardiff, etc.

We must be in a better position than a year ago, as we're about to have our third PL transfer window, but now with a great base of new players (Gross. Propper, Izquierdo, etc), crucial know-how of PL transfer business (hard lessons learnt) and £135m of turnover to invest.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Not sure there’ll be an additional £100m - the club made a loss of nearly £39m last year - can’t see TB accepting a similar loss this year - take into account the higher wage bill this year and the capital costs incurred pre-season with the lights, press box etc. And there won’t be a whole lot left.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we may not be as lucky with injuries and we may struggle.
Were we that lucky? Didn't Kayal miss the start, with Sidwell injured all season, meaning we only had Propper and Stephens with no subs? They formed a good partnership through necessity. Didn't March and Baldock also miss a chunk? Would have been nice if Baldock started as he finished last season, and competed for a place. Goldson missed the start too right?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not sure there’ll be an additional £100m - the club made a loss of nearly £39m last year - can’t see TB accepting a similar loss this year - take into account the higher wage bill this year and the capital costs incurred pre-season with the lights, press box etc. And there won’t be a whole lot left.

Our budget will need to be similar EVERY year to stay up. You spend to tread water in this division.

I expect it will be, but for fewer players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That was old Championship financial results:
Income £29m
Regular costs £56m

= Loss £27m
(Then less exceptional promotion costs of £9m).

PL club income is at least £135m.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

No, with the £9m (will never happen again) promotion costs, my figures were the audited results per Companies House.

Separately, to give an indication of our club income 2017/18 and 2018/19, here's Southampton's. Deduct say £30m for their greater broadcasting income/high PL finish prize money .... and we can see how our club income is easily £140m (compared to £29m in the Championship):

IMG_2604.PNG

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Were we that lucky? Didn't Kayal miss the start, with Sidwell injured all season, meaning we only had Propper and Stephens with no subs? They formed a good partnership through necessity. Didn't March and Baldock also miss a chunk? Would have been nice if Baldock started as he finished last season, and competed for a place. Goldson missed the start too right?

I think we were....when you look at the spine of the ‘regular’ starting eleven we lost only Stephens for any reasonable length of time and that wasn’t too long

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Thats up to the recruitment team not all about money
Agreed it is up to our recruitment team, look how much of a gem Gross was. But financially we will only be better off to a very few teams.....Cardiff being one, Wolves are minted, third promoted team.....anyone's guess. So having an increased income will not give us a financial advantage.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed it is up to our recruitment team, look how much of a gem Gross was. But financially we will only be better off to a very few teams.....Cardiff being one, Wolves are minted, third promoted team.....anyone's guess. So having an increased income will not give us a financial advantage.

But it will allow us to buy our second 'batch' of top flight quality players. Last season Palace, Bmuff and the rest had the huge advantage of having built PL squad over many windows. If they improve that again it will be in small increments, but PL quality players will have to leave their squads to balance numbers. In contrast if we buy say 4 quality players to replace Skalak, Hunnemaier, Sidwell and Hemed, that's a big step forward for us. We have the money to do just that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here