Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson tips us to go down

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Agreed it is up to our recruitment team, look how much of a gem Gross was. But financially we will only be better off to a very few teams.....Cardiff being one, Wolves are minted, third promoted team.....anyone's guess. So having an increased income will not give us a financial advantage.

Pretty sure the rules are still in place where you cannot increase your wage bill by more than 7M per season.

Wolves are going to find many things in place that will stunt any attempts to break the bank for immediate success.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
No, with the £9m (will never happen again) promotion costs, my figures were the audited results per Companies House.

Separately, to give an indication of our club income 2017/18 and 2018/19, here's Southampton's. Deduct say £30m for their greater broadcasting income/high PL finish prize money .... and we can see how our club income is easily £140m (compared to £29m in the Championship):

View attachment 96856

Of course our income is more than a £100m higher than last season but as I said earlier I wouldn’t think TB will be looking to put another £30m into the club as he did last year and when the higher costs connected with being in the PL are taken into account there will be substantially less than an additional £100m to spend.

You can’t just look at the club’s costs - the BHA Holdings finances are the ‘real’ ones.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of course our income is more than a £100m higher than last season but as I said earlier I wouldn’t think TB will be looking to put another £30m into the club as he did last year and when the higher costs connected with being in the PL are taken into account there will be substantially less than an additional £100m to spend.

You can’t just look at the club’s costs - the BHA Holdings finances are the ‘real’ ones.

He won't be putting anything in. Agreed.

£140m income or more, less original cost base leaves the best part of £100m for PL wages and new transfers. I never said £100m will be spent solely on fees, but it will be invested in fees, agents fees and PL level wages.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
He won't be putting anything in. Agreed.

£140m income or more, less original cost base leaves the best part of £100m for PL wages and new transfers. I never said £100m will be spent solely on fees, but it will be invested in fees, agents fees and PL level wages.

Yes, for sure a large chunk of it will be spent on transfer fees, wages and agents. We'll also still make a profit, as we will have done this year. TB wants the club to be self-sustainable but he also doesn't want to make money from the club. He'll take back the interest-free loans slowly, but most of the rest of the money will be spent on infrastructure, first team squad, academy, etc. I'd expect similar levels of spending on fees to last summer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we were....when you look at the spine of the ‘regular’ starting eleven we lost only Stephens for any reasonable length of time and that wasn’t too long
But our regular starting 11 might have included Kayal if he hadn't been injured. It would have included March too, was he out at the start?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But our regular starting 11 might have included Kayal if he hadn't been injured. It would have included March too, was he out at the start?

But it didn’t....and March isn’t really the spine of the side is he (and I can’t remember if he was)

You look at
Ryan
Dunk Duffy
Stephens Pröpper
Murray (normally Gross

That’s the spine....we I think did ok for injuries

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But it didn’t
It didn't because he was injured. If Ryan had been injured all season, he wouldn't be the a regular, but that doesn't mean his injury wouldn't count.
....and March isn’t really the spine of the side is he (and I can’t remember if he was)
Given that we had to wait for Izquierdo to be up to PL speed, March would have been in our starting 11, if fit. Kayal probably would have been too. Maybe even Baldock.

we I think did ok for injuries
Definitely ok, maybe quite well. Just questioning whether we really had 'great luck'. I didn't think we were that lucky, that's all.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It didn't because he was injured. If Ryan had been injured all season, he wouldn't be the a regular, but that doesn't mean his injury wouldn't count.
Given that we had to wait for Izquierdo to be up to PL speed, March would have been in our starting 11, if fit. Kayal probably would have been too. Maybe even Baldock.

Definitely ok, maybe quite well. Just questioning whether we really had 'great luck'. I didn't think we were that lucky, that's all.

It’s very wet up at Coventry

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Agreed, I always get twitchy when claimed we have been lucky with injuries.

Having two of our central midfielders out before a ball is kicked, and then claiming we are lucky because the other two don't get injured? Seems strange.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, for sure a large chunk of it will be spent on transfer fees, wages and agents. We'll also still make a profit, as we will have done this year. TB wants the club to be self-sustainable but he also doesn't want to make money from the club. He'll take back the interest-free loans slowly, but most of the rest of the money will be spent on infrastructure, first team squad, academy, etc. I'd expect similar levels of spending on fees to last summer.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Another £50m spend on transfer fees, but this time just on 4 players or thereabouts.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We spent about £55 million in our first season and a further 10 million roughly bringing the Amex up to Premier league standards.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Were we that lucky? Didn't Kayal miss the start, with Sidwell injured all season, meaning we only had Propper and Stephens with no subs? They formed a good partnership through necessity. Didn't March and Baldock also miss a chunk? Would have been nice if Baldock started as he finished last season, and competed for a place. Goldson missed the start too right?

Apart from Stephens, the rest weren't regular starters. Yes, we were lucky that neither Murray nor Groß were Injured.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Apart from Stephens, the rest weren't regular starters.
How were Kayal (play of the season year before last), March and Baldock not regular starters? The only reason they didn't start more was because of injury.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I assume that £100m also has to cover existing wages, so the extent to which we can strengthen must depend on what the existing wage bill is

To give the full picture for 2018/19:

Club income (estimate) £140m
Less: operational & admin costs (£15m)
= £125m cash to cover payroll, new transfer fees & agents fees.

This assumes no cash inflow from player sales, or repayments to TB.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Merson making himself look a cock on Sky Sports - The Debate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here