Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson tips us to go down

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That Blunkett quote...

“I’ve never experienced anything, in the many years I’ve been a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, like the first quarter of that game last night. It was a forcefield. It was a forcefield on the pitch and off it. The sound was unbelievable, the emotion was so high that we were all literally shaking."

Maybe they should pin up the Merson quote on the way into the Amex? Might get a few people going.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this." Quote by Merson

Of course the Emerates is a cauldron of hate, vitriol and G&T's with cucumber sandwiches which is enough to create a knee shaking atmosphere - especially when its Merson on the G&T's.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I hope everyone predicts us to finish in the bottom 3.
Brighton being underdogs just sits right with me. It's what we've always been.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Great logic, Merse.

No team in the world looks forward to playing at the slum that is Selhurst, with their 19th Century facilities and collection of spotty Always Ultras behind the Holmesdale end goal. Yet curiously, quite a lot of them appeared to rather enjoy playing there last season, not least fellow relegation candidates Swansea (crap most of the season: did the double over Palace) and Burnley (one away win ALL season...at Selhurst).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
We're one of the favourites to go down. Hardly a shock or revelation.

I'd expect every season at least 2 of the 3 teams promoted would be favoured to drop back down. And as in most cases it'll be the teams that finished second and third they'll pick out.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He doesn't take a good photo looking face on does he.
Sporting life has us at 9/2 to be relegated.
I think we will survive myself, 16th or 17th.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Completely correct. All the dinosaurs going on about an "intimidating atmosphere", when was the last time you actually experienced one away?

It's bullshit but it gives the likes of ppf something to **** over I suppose.

My son laughed at the "come on then, you outside! Etc" antics of the mongs at Elland Road when he was six. We won of course despite their "intimidating atmosphere".

It's nonsense.

Which Premier League clubs have this x factor from the crowd which makes them successful? Palace maybe? Oh.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Football crowds are far more ' sanitised ' since all seater stadiums pre-dominated.
Those of us who attended matches in the era of virtually no segregation, know what its like to experience intimidation. To stand on the terrace at the Old Den, side by side with hardened Millwall fans, was an experience on a different level. Any movement to indicate support for the away side resulted in almost certain attack. There was no warning. No preliminary abuse. Just a surge and a flurry of punches.
I've been to White Hart Lane to watch Spurs v Arsenal, where rival fans were allowed to pass each other inside the ground. I watched two hours of constant fighting. Drop kicks, rabbit punches, flailing boots etc. Serious, serious intent. It was the same at many grounds but not now. Its a picnic now. Fans used to stand for 2-3 hours before kick off, getting worked up. Now, they calmly take their seats as the teams are walking out.
The Goldstone was much more open than the Amex but it didn't stop the old place rocking at times. I've stood on the Kop, in the Shed, the North Bank, Park Lane End, Chicken Run at Upton Park and many more. Sizzling, surging, swaying crowds creating a lot of noise, deafening at times and yes, a lot more intimidating than now. Its no surprise that places like the Old Den and Anfield enjoyed good home records. Teams withered in the face of the noise and intimidation.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
"But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this."

Personally, I think he is right there. It's something we need to change.

Football grounds and atmospheres have been getting steralised for years. How many grounds TRULY have an intimidating atmosphere these days where players and fans "don't want to go"?

For years now when we have gone to big grounds, I've often been struck by how quiet they are, and I certainly have rarely felt any form of intimidation. Merson, like so many of those pundits, are just stuck in a World of 20 years ago. Football grounds are nice, friendly, family and corporate orientated venues up and down the country now. We are no different in that respect, and don't need to try to change it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this."

Personally, I think he is right there. It's something we need to change.
Probably because so many clubs came away with three points from their trips to the Amex last season.

Oh.

The bottom line is that Merson's "expert" opinion is nothing of the sort. I never really understand why media outlets tolerate former pros lazily predicting stuff based on nothing other than history or ill conceived preconceptions. What, for example, does Merson know about proper Dave or Pascal Gross? How do they stack up against the equivalent players at Stoke, West Brom, or Huddersfield? Personally, I'm delighted with our recruitment so far based on the evidence we have. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us in around 14th spot at the turn of the year.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Probably because so many clubs came away with three points from their trips to the Amex last season.

Oh.

The bottom line is that Merson's "expert" opinion is nothing of the sort. I never really understand why media outlets tolerate former pros lazily predicting stuff based on nothing other than history or ill conceived preconceptions. What, for example, does Merson know about proper Dave or Pascal Gross? How do they stack up against the equivalent players at Stoke, West Brom, or Huddersfield? Personally, I'm delighted with our recruitment so far based on the evidence we have. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us in around 14th spot at the turn of the year.
Dutch Dave is going to surprise a few pundits.... they may be rewriting their predictions once we get a striker or two installed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bit Harsh those knocking his addictions because he tipped us to go down.

Merson is alright . Decent bloke.

Gets things wrong but seems alright to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here