Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion hero Steve Foster reflects on scars of the past

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He used to be at the bar at Coral's Squash club during his first stint. Friend of mine was the manager. Great drinking place then. Allegedly he once mistook one of the squash courts for the toilets.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I still chuckle at the memory of him deliberately standing on Paul Walsh's ankle early in a game against Portsmouth, thus eliminating (he went off injured) the threat of their best player. He could be nasty when required!

Agreed, I still haven't got over when he nicked my crisps at my school quiz night, years back:)

that's funny! thanks

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
My mate's mum wrote a letter to the club complaining about his repeated loud swearing in front of the South Stand. Got a reply from Bellotti saying it would be resolved. Can't decide whether Bellotti would have loved doing that or wouldn't have had the guts. Probably called Fozzie in, shat it at the last moment and started looking down and drawing a stadium plan on the back of a Rizla.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My mate's mum wrote a letter to the club complaining about his repeated loud swearing in front of the South Stand. Got a reply from Bellotti saying it would be resolved. Can't decide whether Bellotti would have loved doing that or wouldn't have had the guts. Probably called Fozzie in, shat it at the last moment and started looking down and drawing a stadium plan on the back of a Rizla.

Must have had no lead in his pencil the c***, unless he was drawing Toys'r'Us shop.

Edited as I'm hungover and missed your 'up in smoke' line. Apologies but at least I'm right in what he is.

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Foster was excellent on his return but Case was way off the pace and embarrassing to watch.

Nope. Case would run the midfield on his return without having to break sweat. He'd sit in the middle and spray passes around, landing on a sixpence.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Nope. Case would run the midfield on his return without having to break sweat. He'd sit in the middle and spray passes around, landing on a sixpence.

He didn't break sweat because he couldn't run. The game used to pass him by. He would try and act hard still but he couldn't catch anyone! Still, you remember him with your tinted specs on. Brilliant first time round, second time a sorry shadow of his former self.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He didn't break sweat because he couldn't run. The game used to pass him by. He would try and act hard still but he couldn't catch anyone! Still, you remember him with your tinted specs on. Brilliant first time round, second time a sorry shadow of his former self.

Case didn't need to run. Very similar to Sheringham but obviously a different position, his class and experience meant he knew where to be and when and he expended the least energy possible to be there.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Amazed he didn't get more England caps to be honest.

He would these days. Unfortunately for him England had a lot of decent centre halves to choose from. The league that was dominated by English players.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Case didn't need to run. Very similar to Sheringham but obviously a different position, his class and experience meant he knew where to be and when and he expended the least energy possible to be there.

OK. He was such hot property at the time that he was previously playing for Sittingbourne.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

He was still very effective on his return, hence are much improved form under Liam Brady in the 93/94 season. He made a huge difference and was a major influence on the team.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A close friend was a professional at the time from 82-84, he has told me a million stories of those days, but he always says never underestimate just how good they were, some genuinely international class, something that we have not yet got to even today, but perhaps we will find some this season, also they were nearly self managing something that he assures me is missing in todays game, these players were tough uncompromising and the dressing room was full of leaders, it didnt always make for an easy ride for team mates, coaches or even managers but I quite like that, but they certainly enjoyed a night out that's for sure, nothing much happened without Fozzies permission.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
A close friend was a professional at the time from 82-84, he has told me a million stories of those days, but he always says never underestimate just how good they were, some genuinely international class, something that we have not yet got to even today, but perhaps we will find some this season, also they were nearly self managing something that he assures me is missing in todays game, these players were tough uncompromising and the dressing room was full of leaders, it didnt always make for an easy ride for team mates, coaches or even managers but I quite like that, but they certainly enjoyed a night out that's for sure, nothing much happened without Fozzies permission.

:lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember the return of Case fondly. My god, he was a dirty *******. I recall watching him very carefully one game, because he was clearly up to mischief that was going way under the radar. At one point he kicked a long pass, and as all eyes followed the ball, he smoothly pirouetted and kicked the opposition player sligtly behind him, to his left. I swear only 3 people saw it; Case, the bloke left on the grass, and me :lolol:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I remember the return of Case fondly. My god, he was a dirty *******. I recall watching him very carefully one game, because he was clearly up to mischief that was going way under the radar. At one point he kicked a long pass, and as all eyes followed the ball, he smoothly pirouetted and kicked the opposition player sligtly behind him, to his left. I swear only 3 people saw it; Case, the bloke left on the grass, and me :lolol:

He's such a placid bloke, though. One of the easiest interviewees. Has a pretty low stress threshold, hence giving up management. Think he left all his aggression on the pitch

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'd say Shane Duffy is the closest to Fozzie we've had since his heyday. Get past him on the ground and that was the end of it, but he'd smash through a brick wall to win a header. Great at what he did and a really commanding leader.

Nah, Guy Butters [the Tank] was better in the air - won everything ....
On the floor, he'd only ever be first to a KFC bargain bucket ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here