Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Brighton and Hove Albion hero Steve Foster reflects on scars of the past

11 Not allowed!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Keith Keith Keith Dublin herecomesaregular's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Never saw him or Jimmy Case the first time around but on their returns, despite having no legs, it was a privilege to see them strolling around the pitch controlling the game - still a class apart from those other players around them half their age.

1 Not allowed!
      Fozzy was a rock, I think Tony Grealish wore a headband when he walked out at Wembley in his honour (or did I just make that up)
      Standing in the park, I was wondering why a frisbee looks larger the closer it gets...then it hit me
      Grey bearded old man
      Between St Leonards and Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by seagull_special View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Fozzy was a rock, I think Tony Grealish wore a headband when he walked out at Wembley in his honour (or did I just make that up)
      Yes he did. Foster was suspended for the final but came back for the replay.

I was never Fosters greatest fan, decent player but no more IMO.

But he did have the ability to get into position early by judging exactly what where a goalkeeper kick out (none of that roll it to the full back malarkey in those days!); and being strong it meant he won the majority of headers. Not because he was a brilliant header of the ball but because he got to the right spot first and the opponents couldn't get a run on the ball.
      If history teaches us anything, it is that history teaches us nothing

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by herecomesaregular View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Never saw him or Jimmy Case the first time around but on their returns, despite having no legs, it was a privilege to see them strolling around the pitch controlling the game - still a class apart from those other players around them half their age.
      Foster was excellent on his return but Case was way off the pace and embarrassing to watch.

9 Not allowed!
      My favourite memory of Fozzie was at the City Ground when we took their long unbeaten record.
      Gerry Ryan squeezed a goal in about the twelfth minute and from then until the end Fozzie played them on his own
      They threw everything at us, particularly John Robertson chucking crosses over time after time.
      But Fozzie dealt with every one.
      It was fanbloodytastic
      They say "Legend" is an over used term, but this not where this guy is concerned
      I have not forgiven Lewes Council, or DeVeggie, or Archer, or Bellotti, or Stanley, or Bailey, or Whiteside, or Challis, or Saints and Spurs for that 0-0 in 1978.
      I don't get over things and I don't move on easily. OK?
      The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Great player for the club in all his spells. Underrated too, read the game well to compensate for not being the quickest on his feet.
      Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
      I look nothing like him! Jack Straw's Avatar

7 Not allowed!
      "Still a fan, Foster says: 'This is a proper football town, people donít realise that'"

This wins it for me.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      He helped make Mark Lawrenson and Gary Streven better defenders as they only had to concern themselves with their game on the floor as he dealt with all long balls into the box thus releasing them from that task.

Brighton and Hove Albion hero Steve Foster reflects on scars of the past

2 Not allowed!
      I'd say Shane Duffy is the closest to Fozzie we've had since his heyday. Get past him on the ground and that was the end of it, but he'd smash through a brick wall to win a header. Great at what he did and a really commanding leader. Still remember being distraught when he was flogged to Villa.

Still see him around in central Hove a lot.