Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls target Chris Wood - £12m - The Sun

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Just watching it on MOTD2. Wood was involved anything in the few minutes he came on.

Both he and Barnes in the same team. I know I could google it but did they play together at the Albion during Wood's stint with us at Withdean?

Pretty sure Poyet used to perm 2 of Murray Wood and Barnes. Remember they definitely played at Watford in the cup.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pretty sure Poyet used to perm 2 of Murray Wood and Barnes. Remember they definitely played at Watford in the cup.

That's what I was thinking. All 3 of them in the Prem now.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Amazing that we're still talking about our lack of strikers even though we've been pressing for promotion from the Championship ever since the Amex era started.

Can't put my finger on the problem exactly but the Albion scouting and buying department do seem to struggle a bit with this glaring issue. What is it that they watch on a weekly basis that they still can't pinpoint a solid quality striker or two for us to sign? Murray was obviously a no-brainer as we'd seen his striking talent at the Withdean Stadium, Vokes, Barnes and Ulloa were good but what had they seen in CMS, Leon Best, JFC, Agdestein and quite a few others that never made their mark up front for us?

Time for them to pull a rabbit or two out of the hat, then we'll have a better chance of keeping this well supported great family club in the Premier League.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just watching it on MOTD2. Wood was involved anything in the few minutes he came on.

Both he and Barnes in the same team. I know I could google it but did they play together at the Albion during Wood's stint with us at Withdean?
Thought I remembered all three of them at Walsall the day we became champions, but I googled it and found that Wood only came on as a substitute for Barnes.
I'm sure there must have been some occasions when all three were on the pitch together.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Can't put my finger on the problem exactly but the Albion scouting and buying department do seem to struggle a bit with this glaring issue..

Anyone outside the club would look at Ulloa, Hemed, Baldock, Murray and Zamora who scored hatful of goals and cost barely more than £6m (and in Ulloa's case earned us £££) got us to 3 play offs and a promotion and think. Blimey. Crisis, what crisis.

But boo hoo - Leon Best, Chuba ! Obika.

When did we last spend big £££ on a striker who was a disaster. Is CMS it ? He had his moments. Hoskins ? And both those were 6 years ago ?

As for this season then come back on Friday.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If it's OK with you, I'd rather people stick around between now and Friday, and open lots of threads related to fanciful strikers. Possibly start a few of their own too.

Are the Nsc funds running low? Don't tell Leekbrookgull, or he'll be scouting the BBC website for all sorts of stories.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I don't get the Wood bashing myself. I would have him here

After speaking to my nephew ( a very sensible chap), yesterday at the match.
He explained to me that Chris Woods wanted to come to us, but it was allegedly, the club who didn't want to pay the high transfer fee.
How he knows this, is because CW auntie lives in Hastings. :)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
After speaking to my nephew ( a very sensible chap), yesterday at the match.
He explained to me that Chris Woods wanted to come to us, but it was allegedly, the club who didn't want to pay the high transfer fee.
How he knows this, is because CW auntie lives in Hastings. :)

Maybe Chris Wood isn't as knowledgeable about things as he thinks he is and that he should get his facts correct before telling tall tales to his auntie.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought I'd break with tradition and do the :bounce: before the game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have never been a big fan but signing Wood would have been a much better bet than signing nobody.

My expectations for January are low too, we seem to be constantly trying to sign forwards but never willing to pay the going rate.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
My expectations for January are low too, we seem to be constantly trying to sign forwards but never willing to pay the going rate.

That we had big bids accepted for both Andone and Janssen would suggest that our strategy is changing, that has to give some hope.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have never been a big fan but signing Wood would have been a much better bet than signing nobody.

I think TB may get the gloves off on this occasion, as he knows what it'll cost to stay up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That we had big bids accepted for both Andone and Janssen would suggest that our strategy is changing, that has to give some hope.

Or, bearing in mind the timing of those bids, got desperate.

Fans of potential Albion signings are in for a rare treat tomorrow.
Andone and new Leo's teams are both on Sky.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously it's completely unfair to judge a player on one performance (when has that ever stopped us before) but it would appear £18m doesn't buy as much as it used to.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here