Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls target Chris Wood - £12m - The Sun

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not 100% sure that we're after a 'Better Baldock' anymore. If the plan is to play three behind a striker or 4-4-1-1 then we have Gross, Proper and (hopefully) Izquierdo who can all play that role... so maybe focus should now be on a strong player who the others can play off of.
Maybe. Also I wonder if we're forced on the defensive a lot, and virtually playing 4-5-1, maybe the requirement for the one on his own up-front will just to be bloody fast*, rather than a hold up merchant. Guess we'll find out, sooner or later.

*that is bloody fast, with skill, and an eye for goal!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it's us then it will be interesting...what about the Ghanaian lad we are after?? Maybe 2 new strikers and goodbye TH??
Again with the desperate need to offload Hemed.
What the frack has Tomer done to warrant so many of NSC so eager to drive him anywhere but here?

I would take him, I think he would fit into our new system well.
So well that he'll be £16,000,000, massive wages and a 4 year contract better than Murray or Hemed?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is no value in buying Wood for £16million+ when that sort of money would buy a stellar striker from Europe.

And Hemed is going nowhere ( at least before January ).

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Again with the desperate need to offload Hemed.
What the frack has Tomer done to warrant so many of NSC so eager to drive him anywhere but here?

So well that he'll be £16,000,000, massive wages and a 4 year contract better than Murray or Hemed?
We would sell Hemed, but otherwise yes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We would sell Hemed, but otherwise yes.

So Wood is £11,000,000 + shiteloads of contract better than Hemed, each to there own, but I just don't see it.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
So Wood is £11,000,000 + shiteloads of contract better than Hemed, each to there own, but I just don't see it.
Fair enough. I would be happy to have the Championship top goal scorer though and I feel he is better than either Murray or Hemed. That said, this should be a back up option as we can probably get better value abroad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough. I would be happy to have the Championship top goal scorer though and I feel he is better than either Murray or Hemed. That said, this should be a back up option as we can probably get better value abroad.

I don't dispute the fact that he's better than M & H, it's just by how much that I can't get my head around.

We're not going to be spending all season saying 'Wood wouldn't have hit the woodwork there'.

If not next season certainly the season after the club will have to buy the 'next Chris Wood' and even then I'll still bet he won't cost £16,000,000.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
He was only 4 goals better than Murray last season and l believe he took the penalties for Leeds as well. Not a great, if any, improvement to what we have except his age. If it were my own money Glen Murray at 3m or Chris Woods at 16m, l'd stick!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Delighted with this if true and makes complete sense with the other attacking players we have.

He will score goals with the delivery abilities March, AK, Gross and Suttner around him.

He is also VERY good with his back to goal which is key for us in my opinion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't dispute the fact that he's better than M & H, it's just by how much that I can't get my head around.

We're not going to be spending all season saying 'Wood wouldn't have hit the woodwork there'.

If not next season certainly the season after the club will have to buy the 'next Chris Wood' and even then I'll still bet he won't cost £16,000,000.

Hemed is 30, Murray 33, Wood 25. We're now in the PL. There is your transfer fee multiple even if he is the same quality as M&H.

Are you leaving on 80 or 85mins today? If 80, I'll walk up to the bus with you and we can have a chat while we wait for it to go. :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I fail to see why he gets so much negative reviews on NSC he had a great season last year in a failed average team, he has got a look on his face like there is a really bad smell and £12 million is an awful lot of money but apart from that I cannot see a problem

That is exactly my problem. He has a bad attitude, which could cause problems in our team, whose keyword is together.
We are going to get beaten soundly by some teams, so we need a team spirit which will shrug off those defeats, and go for the next game with a positive lookout.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hemed is 30, Murray 33, Wood 25. We're now in the PL. There is your transfer fee multiple even if he is the same quality as M&H.

Are you leaving on 80 or 85mins today? If 80, I'll walk up to the bus with you and we can have a chat while we wait for it to go. :thumbsup:

30,000+ inside the ground, it's a tough call.
After I've left before halftime to get my pints, and got back to my seat late, I'm hoping to watch the crucial 20 minutes between 55 & 75 minutes.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That is exactly my problem. He has a bad attitude, which could cause problems in our team, whose keyword is together.
We are going to get beaten soundly by some teams, so we need a team spirit which will shrug off those defeats, and go for the next game with a positive lookout.

Why do you think that ? I don't remember any bad attitude, just a youngster trying his best. His game has improved immensely since he was with us previously.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
14-16 million I can see some sense in it. He's a big unit and with the right service which you would hope with the abundance of wide players we have that look decent or have potential in this league then he should do well. He's young and should still be improving as well. At this point though you would expect that Hemed would be moved on. As some have pointed out is this worth the 10 million plus likely swing. I'm not 100% sure it is. The Ghanaian lad looks to be something different or Baldock competition so if we can agree a fee I can see that happening with no one leaving but with wood surely it's got to be one in and one out

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Woods goal record in last two seasons is better than the two seasons Murray had with Palace when they ended up going up. Wood is 42 in 81 and Murray was 36 in 79. And Murray was a couple years older and more experienced. For me he would be an addition, they give each other excellent cover. They are both made of our wingers.

I would replace Tomer for him given age and cutting edge. But Tomers record is impressive, 30 in 73 and worth more than £4m in this market.

On the £m, the market is crazy but if you beleive it won't fall quickly then that is the market price.

Attitude, i see a very focused comitted player wanting to win. He would absolutely fit in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why do you think that ? I don't remember any bad attitude, just a youngster trying his best. His game has improved immensely since he was with us previously.

My own observation and whenever he has scored against us. I just don't like him.
If he does come here, then I'll support him as a player, but I really hope he doesn't.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My own observation and whenever he has scored against us. I just don't like him.
If he does come here, then I'll support him as a player, but I really hope he doesn't.

Fair enough, some players annoy me as well so I know what you mean. I would be pleased to have Wood return though. Enjoy the game today. We are setting off shortly and I can't wait !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here