Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest British Sports Stars

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Watching the breath taking performance of Mo last night got me thinking. Are we living through a period of having a lot Britian's all time greatest sports stars doing the business?

If so who are they?

I'll start with three.

1. Mo Farah - Britian's greatest ever long distance track athlete

2. Andy Murray- Britian's greatest ever tennis player

3. Lewis Hamilton - Britian's greatest ever motor racing driver.

Fred Perry won eight grand slams, Murray has three...

Quite impressive that you managed to spell Britain wrong four times as well.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Chris Hoy got to be in the top 10. Bloke revolutionised velodrome cycling as ultra cool.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Fred Perry won eight grand slams, Murray has three...

Quite impressive that you managed to spell Britain wrong four times as well.

1. You don't measure 'greatness' by the number of grand slams, especially when comparing two such different eras where professionalism and fitness are incomparable. I suspect Perry would have one zilch if he'd been up against Federer, Nadal & Djokovic.

2. Spelling. Oh shit - my spell checker is broke!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
4. Wayne Rooney - Britian's greatest ever football player.

nudie.gif

Bingo

Jul 27, 2014
Seaford
1. You don't measure 'greatness' by the number of grand slams, especially when comparing two such different eras where professionalism and fitness are incomparable. I suspect Perry would have one zilch if he'd been up against Federer, Nadal & Djokovic.

2. Spelling. Oh shit - my spell checker is broke!

Also Murray has two Olympic singles gold medals, Nadal 1, Federer and Djokovic have none.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Watching the breath taking performance of Mo last night got me thinking. Are we living through a period of having a lot Britian's all time greatest sports stars doing the business?

If so who are they?

I'll start with three.

1. Mo Farah - Britian's greatest ever long distance track athlete

2. Andy Murray- Britian's greatest ever tennis player

3. Lewis Hamilton - Britian's greatest ever motor racing driver.

Hamilton?!! A side from him being an absolute bellend, F1 isn't even a sport. It's a no from me, likes of Redgrave, Bannister, Coe, Perry and Best etc get my vote over someone pushing a pedal in a most expensive machine wins event any day

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
John Surtees
Ian Botham
Stanley Mathews

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ian Botham

When Wisden asked 100 cricket writers/cricketers for the best players of the 20th century, Botham didn't even make the top five English players. Just because he's done some great work for charity, it shouldn't elevate him above better players.

But if you're looking for someone who did finish top of a world list, I suggest Gareth Edwards, named as the best player in a poll of worldwide rugby experts.

I'm no horse racing fan but reckon Lester Piggott must be in with a shout too - don't really know enough about his rivals to know for sure.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I may be doing him a dis-service (and I probably picked the worst bloke to do it to), but I thought Geoff Capes was more your 'Good British Trier' rather than multi medal winning greatest ?
It was a bit of a tongue in cheek pick, but to be fair to him he won gold medals in shot put at Commonwealth level, was twice "worlds strongest man" when that was a popular pastime in the late 70's and was five time Highland games champion.

Also as a child of the 70's Geoff Capes was just about the most famous and recognisable Englishman there was for a time, but I agree with you that in sporting excellence terms there are more worthy candidates.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek pick, but to be fair to him he won gold medals in shot put at Commonwealth level, was twice "worlds strongest man" when that was a popular pastime in the late 70's and was five time Highland games champion.

Also as a child of the 70's Geoff Capes was just about the most famous and recognisable Englishman there was for a time, but I agree with you that in sporting excellence terms there are more worthy candidates.

Pretty good at growing budgies too by all accounts.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
When Wisden asked 100 cricket writers/cricketers for the best players of the 20th century, Botham didn't even make the top five English players. Just because he's done some great work for charity, it shouldn't elevate him above better players.

But if you're looking for someone who did finish top of a world list, I suggest Gareth Edwards, named as the best player in a poll of worldwide rugby experts.

I'm no horse racing fan but reckon Lester Piggott must be in with a shout too - don't really know enough about his rivals to know for sure.

Don't really care what Wisden or the journos think about Beefy.Anybody who can bat like he did,after a skinful the night before,at Edgbaston is tops in my book!:drink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So all of the Greatest British Sports Stars happen to be men?

That'll be news to the likes of
LauraTrott
Jessica Ennis-Hill,
Kate Richardson-Walsh,
Nicola Adams,
Jo Pavey,
Sarah Storey,
Tracey Neville.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
So all of the Greatest British Sports Stars happen to be men?

That'll be news to the likes of
LauraTrott
Jessica Ennis-Hill,
Kate Richardson-Walsh,
Nicola Adams,
Jo Pavey,
Sarah Storey,
Tracey Neville.

Just beat me to the Jess Ennis-Hill and Sarah Storey post.
Mo is great at running but to be champion at a sport that requires a lot of different skills is pretty damned impressive.And (Dame) Sarah Storey has been Paralympic champion at 2 entirely different sports. Weve also had some pretty impressive sailors, both men and women.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Phil Taylor if you count darts as a sport.

For me that is as much of a sport as what Lewis Hamilton does, i.e. not at all

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Isn't it C B Fry? Of course, none of his achievements were on tv and he played football before 1992, so it doesn't count.

Represented England at football and cricket, equalled world record for the long jump.

And was offered the throne of Albania. Unlikely to happen to Andy Murray, Mo Farah or Chris Froome.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
For me that is as much of a sport as what Lewis Hamilton does, i.e. not at all

You have clearly never been a motor racing driver or a motorcyclist, the technology is nothing to do with your skill to drive/ride. And these days you have to be fit as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here