Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Been in the Sussex Sea Since the July Sewage Fiasco?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Hmm... 3 weeks ago I was swimming at Camber . . . . lots of dogs frolicking in the water . . . put me off so I got out...on the drive home I started feeling ill.....

I slept most of the next 3 days, weak as a baby, but developed a lung infection (sea water inhaled?). I have been ill ever since; right lung severely congested, 'crackle' when exhaling; two different courses of antibiotic, chest x-ray . . . litres of muck coughed up . . . slowly on the mend now but determined to not swim on the 'quiet' beaches (where there are no restrictions on dogs) again.

Not saying its the dogs, obviously. I have no proof. However, as loony would say, I have evidence. I saw a dog so that is evidence.

Have to be a hell of a lot of leaky dogs. How many kids and adults do it in the sea compared to dogs?

And I'm not a dog owner or lover.

But I have kids who swim in the sea on Shoreham Beach.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If they are floaters then surely the wind will become a factor as well as the current ?
Too low a profile when "bobbing"... 9 tenths of the jobbie will be subjected to the tidal flow whereas 1 tenth affected by the wind.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Ive been in sea at least once a week since april. In june the water looked rank - metallicy brown - reallt weird. Ive never seen it like that. Have to say 2 weeks ago the water was clear as anything - saw quite a few jelly fish, a dead rat & a headless seagull as well as the usual plastic bags but no other floaties

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
Too low a profile when "bobbing"... 9 tenths of the jobbie will be subjected to the tidal flow whereas 1 tenth affected by the wind.

It's nice when a scientific fact is explained to you precisely, succinctly and without any attempt at sarcasm or general rudeness.
I like the term 'bobbing jobbie'. I must remember not to confuse it with 'hobby bobby' when engaging with our local police community officers.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
In june the water looked rank - metallicy brown - reallt weird.

Would just have been the left over May rot (algae blooms and various organisms that come to life when the water warms up). Seaweed and other particles grow and die then too, washing in to shore, often a browny-red colour. All perfectly natural.

B&H lifeguards use Environment agency readings for water quality on a regular basis, and I know they have put the red flags up a few times this summer due to water quality issues (rather than waves). At least in Brighton, that's almost unheard of, so must have been to do with the incident in Worthing. We've had some wind and waves to add to the normal tidal movement recently, so I would have thought anything left over would have been dispersed to a point where it's safe now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here