Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Discrimination, positive or negative, or none at all?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've stayed at Felbrigg Hall, in one of the apartments there.
All of the NT staff we encountered, were helpful and always willing to explain the history of the place, in their own style.

As with all NT volunteers we've encountered over the years, you never know and you don't ask what their personal beliefs are, it's none of my business.
It's crazy that these knowledgeable people should be shoved to the side because they refuse to wear these lanyards. IMO.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Had a feeling this one might turn up.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that 'outing' a deceased person in this way is the right thing to do. It's hard to say whether or not he would have wanted it.

It is important to mark the 50th anniversary though. Some folk are still alive who suffered greatly as a result of ignorance. Whether this is the right way- I don't know.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
"But 10 of the 350 volunteers at Felbrigg have chosen not to wear them."

10 people out of 350. Ten people...and this is news. ffs :ffsparr:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Have already altered the sticker in my windscreen to read National Thrust :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
On the general topic of discrimination, I used to think positive discrimination of all kinds is implicitly wrong but as I get older I see the world less in absolutes. One of the things that has changed my opinion is when you consider the number of black British players over the last 40 years and then the number of black British managers. I'm not saying it's down to racism but it's clear that something isn't right. Call it positive discrimination if you like but I think that some serious thought needs to go into how black players wanting to go into management can be helped.

Likewise, I'd say the same for trying to help white working class boys with their education because they really do need it. They are the worst performing social/ethnic group academically.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Likewise, I'd say the same for trying to help white working class boys with their education because they really do need it. They are the worst performing social/ethnic group academically.

You say that, but only last week my 5 year old boy wrote "Bum Hole" in 3 foot high chalk letters right across our patio. He even punctuated it with a full stop.

As I scrubbed it off with a yard brush before his mother got home, I couldn't help feeling a sense of pride in how far he has come since Reception class.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You say that, but only last week my 5 year old boy wrote "Bum Hole" in 3 foot high chalk letters right across our patio. He even punctuated it with a full stop.

As I scrubbed it off with a yard brush before his mother got home, I couldn't feeling a sense of pride in how far he has come since Reception class.

:lolol:

I still swell with pride when I think of the time my youngest wrote 'we hate Palace' on the teacher's whiteboard at primary school. His mum blamed me. She got even more irate when I bought him a milkshake as reward. Women, eh?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I still swell with pride when I think of the time my youngest wrote 'we hate Palace' on the teacher's whiteboard at primary school. His mum blamed me. She got even more irate when I bought him a milkshake as reward. Women, eh?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've stayed at Felbrigg Hall, in one of the apartments there.
All of the NT staff we encountered, were helpful and always willing to explain the history of the place, in their own style.

As with all NT volunteers we've encountered over the years, you never know and you don't ask what their personal beliefs are, it's none of my business.
It's crazy that these knowledgeable people should be shoved to the side because they refuse to wear these lanyards. IMO.

Agreed. It's a nice gesture by the National Trust but no-one should be forced to wear them if they don't want. I'm sure that no-one else is much worried about it. Same with poppies, we're still a free country so we should be allowed and trusted to act on our own conscience.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not sure how National Trust offering people different roles because THEY didn't want to join in (and by join in basically just wear a badge and a lanyard) means they've been 'shoved to the side'. The real story should be the shocking discrimination gay people have suffered over the years. But of course this complete non-story will be being shared all over the place by wankers constantly pushing the political correctness gone mad angle, for which I am sure they have their own reasons.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Not sure how National Trust offering people different roles because THEY didn't want to join in (and by join in basically just wear a badge and a lanyard) means they've been 'shoved to the side'. The real story should be the shocking discrimination gay people have suffered over the years. But of course this complete non-story will be being shared all over the place by wankers constantly pushing the political correctness gone mad angle, for which I am sure they have their own reasons.

I dare say Richard Littlejohn already writing his next column

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Nail/head

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
On the general topic of discrimination, I used to think positive discrimination of all kinds is implicitly wrong but as I get older I see the world less in absolutes. One of the things that has changed my opinion is when you consider the number of black British players over the last 40 years and then the number of black British managers. I'm not saying it's down to racism but it's clear that something isn't right. Call it positive discrimination if you like but I think that some serious thought needs to go into how black players wanting to go into management can be helped.

Yeah, brilliant managers like Paul Ince can't get a job because he's black. Nothing to do with a woeful management record and being a complete prick.

(Not really sure what point I'm making because I think there is a wider problem, but just thought that was as good opportunity to have a go at him).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, brilliant managers like Paul Ince can't get a job because he's black. Nothing to do with a woeful management record and being a complete prick.

(Not really sure what point I'm making because I think there is a wider problem, but just thought that was as good opportunity to have a go at him).

It's annoying isn't it? I'm sure there is a problem but then you get Paul Ince and John Barnes piping up whilst being, particularly in Barnes' case, just rubbish.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Why should an employee have to push a political message on their employers behalf?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Agreed. It's a nice gesture by the National Trust but no-one should be forced to wear them if they don't want. I'm sure that no-one else is much worried about it. Same with poppies, we're still a free country so we should be allowed and trusted to act on our own conscience.
Totally agree.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Why should an employee have to push a political message on their employers behalf?

'Pushing a political message' is a bit hysterical. It's a rainbow coloured badge and lanyard. I'm wondering more why the ten people can't just wear them. They're not being asked to cavort in a tutu made of dildos on a float at Pride.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
'Pushing a political message' is a bit hysterical. It's a rainbow coloured badge and lanyard. I'm wondering more why the ten people can't just wear them. They're not being asked to cavort in a tutu made of dildos on a float at Pride.

Maybe because they are not entirely comfortable with homosexuality? Maybe they are of the older generation? Maybe their religious beliefs have skewed their moral compass? None of these things are to be applauded, but equally it is not illegal to feel like this, discrimination is illegal. Should a Labour supporter be forced to wear a Tory rosette at the whim of their employer?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here