Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Discrimination, positive or negative, or none at all?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Maybe because they are not entirely comfortable with homosexuality? Maybe they are of the older generation? Maybe their religious beliefs have skewed their moral compass? None of these things are to be applauded, but equally it is not illegal to feel like this, discrimination is illegal. Should a Labour supporter be forced to wear a Tory rosette at the whim of their employer?

Maybe, if that employer felt it was in keeping with the company's principles that the employees had signed up for (be a bit of a weird company, but it's a stupid example anyway), which is what the NT are saying here.

Anyway, total non-story.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The NT have reversed their decision - it's now optional to wear the badges and all volunteers can resume their public facing roles.

One positive note coming out of this is that with the increased exposure, there may be more people visiting Felbrigg and other NT properties.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-40837709

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Do people genuinely think that Chairmen across the country don't appoint black Managers because of the colour of their skin?
Honest question!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
They're only volunteers. If someone who has thoughts that haven't moved on from the dark ages doesn't want to wear a badge, volunteer them to a shittier volunteer job. Or tell them they're no longer welcome. It's quite simple.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do people genuinely think that Chairmen across the country don't appoint black Managers because of the colour of their skin?
Honest question!

Probably not. But I think it will be very useful and interesting to know why so many black people play the game but next to none make it as managers.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
They're only volunteers. If someone who has thoughts that haven't moved on from the dark ages doesn't want to wear a badge, volunteer them to a shittier volunteer job. Or tell them they're no longer welcome. It's quite simple.

It would be a shame to lose experienced, knowledgeable volunteers who've probably given up their time for free for years over a badge.

Freedom to wear a badge, freedom not to wear a badge.

Sounds fair.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It would be a shame to lose experienced, knowledgeable volunteers who've probably given up their time for free for years over a badge.

Freedom to wear a badge, freedom not to wear a badge.

Sounds fair.

Unless they were allergic to metal I'd question why they wouldn't want to wear a badge that celebrates freedom.

biddles911

May 12, 2014

Volunteers make most charities work, as I can confirm from some 20+ years working for one of the larger charities.

Without them most charities wouldn't even exist so being so dismissive of them is pretty patronising.

I don't suppose the visitors to this property give a stuff whether it was previously owned by a gay man?

Similarly, I would object to wearing any badge beyond the basics of name, position and organisation. I might stretch to "here to help".....maybe?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Unless they were allergic to metal I'd question why they wouldn't want to wear a badge that celebrates freedom.

Deep concern and sensitivity by the volunteers about causing offence through cultural appropriation by displaying the rainbow flag?

(Probably not and admittedly slightly tongue-in-cheek, but there shouldn't be any justification for reasons needed here.)

Whatever the individual reasons, the NT has not enforced the wearing of the badges.

The NT has received a huge boost in publicity and the campaign continues.

It's probably win-win overall.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

The NT have reversed their decision - it's now optional to wear the badges and all volunteers can resume their public facing roles.

One positive note coming out of this is that with the increased exposure, there may be more people visiting Felbrigg and other NT properties.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-40837709

It seems that common sense won out on this occasion, thankfully.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Probably not. But I think it will be very useful and interesting to know why so many black people play the game but next to none make it as managers.

Not many people on here are fans of Alan Pardew, but when he was Charlton manager he promoted Chris Powell to a coaching job because he said he believed in positive discrimination.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

my god.......isn't it all about choice....??

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and shouldn't have others' thrust upon them as policy.
It should be discretional and the wearers choice.
Those who choose not to wear them are equally as justified as those that choose to wear them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here