Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Discrimination, positive or negative, or none at all?

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-40825660

Whatever this is, the world has gone crazy. Someone's job role can be changed because they do not wish to wear a multicoloured lanyard? Discuss.
    Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      I've stayed at Felbrigg Hall, in one of the apartments there.
      All of the NT staff we encountered, were helpful and always willing to explain the history of the place, in their own style.

As with all NT volunteers we've encountered over the years, you never know and you don't ask what their personal beliefs are, it's none of my business.
      It's crazy that these knowledgeable people should be shoved to the side because they refuse to wear these lanyards. IMO.
      Minister of Information

5 Not allowed!
      Had a feeling this one might turn up.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that 'outing' a deceased person in this way is the right thing to do. It's hard to say whether or not he would have wanted it.

It is important to mark the 50th anniversary though. Some folk are still alive who suffered greatly as a result of ignorance. Whether this is the right way- I don't know.
      I've lost my way. If anyone should find it, do return it quickly. I should imagine it quite rusty by now.

0 Not allowed!
      "But 10 of the 350 volunteers at Felbrigg have chosen not to wear them."

10 people out of 350. Ten people...and this is news. ffs
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Have already altered the sticker in my windscreen to read National Thrust

4 Not allowed!
      On the general topic of discrimination, I used to think positive discrimination of all kinds is implicitly wrong but as I get older I see the world less in absolutes. One of the things that has changed my opinion is when you consider the number of black British players over the last 40 years and then the number of black British managers. I'm not saying it's down to racism but it's clear that something isn't right. Call it positive discrimination if you like but I think that some serious thought needs to go into how black players wanting to go into management can be helped.

Likewise, I'd say the same for trying to help white working class boys with their education because they really do need it. They are the worst performing social/ethnic group academically.
      My music blog: de-minimis music
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

8 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Likewise, I'd say the same for trying to help white working class boys with their education because they really do need it. They are the worst performing social/ethnic group academically.
      You say that, but only last week my 5 year old boy wrote "Bum Hole" in 3 foot high chalk letters right across our patio. He even punctuated it with a full stop.

As I scrubbed it off with a yard brush before his mother got home, I couldn't help feeling a sense of pride in how far he has come since Reception class.
      Last edited by Bry Nylon; 05-08-2017 at 00:18.

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bry Nylon View Post
      You say that, but only last week my 5 year old boy wrote "Bum Hole" in 3 foot high chalk letters right across our patio. He even punctuated it with a full stop.

As I scrubbed it off with a yard brush before his mother got home, I couldn't feeling a sense of pride in how far he has come since Reception class.

I still swell with pride when I think of the time my youngest wrote 'we hate Palace' on the teacher's whiteboard at primary school. His mum blamed me. She got even more irate when I bought him a milkshake as reward. Women, eh?
      Minister of Information

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post

I still swell with pride when I think of the time my youngest wrote 'we hate Palace' on the teacher's whiteboard at primary school. His mum blamed me. She got even more irate when I bought him a milkshake as reward. Women, eh?
      I've lost my way. If anyone should find it, do return it quickly. I should imagine it quite rusty by now.

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      I've stayed at Felbrigg Hall, in one of the apartments there.
      All of the NT staff we encountered, were helpful and always willing to explain the history of the place, in their own style.

As with all NT volunteers we've encountered over the years, you never know and you don't ask what their personal beliefs are, it's none of my business.
      It's crazy that these knowledgeable people should be shoved to the side because they refuse to wear these lanyards. IMO.
      Agreed. It's a nice gesture by the National Trust but no-one should be forced to wear them if they don't want. I'm sure that no-one else is much worried about it. Same with poppies, we're still a free country so we should be allowed and trusted to act on our own conscience.