Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Athletics Championships London 2017

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Almost all" ???

Yes although we tend to look the other way when 'good' athletes are doing EXACTLY regimes as their 'bad' colleagues.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
They ALL do, just called supplements if they're the right side of the line, drugs if not. I loved watching Gatlin silence the hypocrites.

I cant agree with you. Taking banned performance enhancing drugs is totally different from taking legal supplements.It's an absolute disgrace that an athlete twice banned for drugs is picking up a gold medal this evening. Coe must be squirming with embarrassment. If he isn't then he damned well should be.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Athletics are a joke lets be fair, Bolt is going out at the right time and the loss to a drugs cheat is the perfect encapsulation of all that is wrong with the sport. It has a long hard climb back to any former glory.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I cant agree with you. Taking banned performance enhancing drugs is totally different from taking legal supplements.It's an absolute disgrace that an athlete twice banned for drugs is picking up a gold medal this evening. Coe must be squirming with embarrassment. If he isn't then he damned well should be.

End off and Thank-You. Yet Coe was always anti Drugs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Jamaican sprinting programme has the most positive drug tests of any nation, since the unification of Germany.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Gatlin booed loudly when he walked out, everyone else got good receptions...Bolt's was deafening.

Got to be good to be Usain Bolt as surely everybody loves him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That doesn't excuse Gatlin and it doesn't taint Bolt. World Junior Champion at 15 years old and a "natural"progression since then. Not even a hint of drugs in his case.
I'm surprised none of that sounds familiar to you.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Disgusting from the crowd to boo the champion. Let's not forget Bolt finished 3rd, even if Gatlin didn't participate he still wouldn't have won. Unfortunately it seems the middle class London audience only turned up for a Bolt procession, thankfully sport is unpredictable.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Had a suspicion Bolt was going to lose out to Coleman. Michael Johnson has been banging on all evening about how Bolt was definitely going to win the final, with a time of about 9.80. But it never looked like he was going to get close to that time. What I didn't expect was Gatlin to win, especially given he is 35. Shame De Grasse missed out through injury. It's also a shame that it appears injuries have taken their toll on Yohan Blake, who at one point looked like he could potentially beat Bolt's world records. He achieved 9.69 in the 100m and 19.26 in the 200m before his injuries, way back in 2012 and 2011. He's still only 27.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had a suspicion Bolt was going to lose out to Coleman. Michael Johnson has been banging on all evening about how Bolt was definitely going to win the final, with a time of about 9.80. But it never looked like he was going to get close to that time. What I didn't expect was Gatlin to win, especially given he is 35. Shame De Grasse missed out through injury. It's also a shame that it appears injuries have taken their toll on Yohan Blake, who at one point looked like he could potentially beat Bolt's world records. He achieved 9.69 in the 100m and 19.26 in the 200m before his injuries, way back in 2012 and 2011. He's still only 27.

5 current sprints named.

2 kids
2 previously banned
I Usain Bolt.

Yoda

English & European
Yes, Gatlin has been a cheat, but can we please stop referring to him as a two time cheat?

The only thing he failed to do first time around (as a naive young nineteen year old) was check his medication. If he had, he would've found out he shouldn't have been taking it during competitions.

The following was a statement from the IAAF regarding this matter:

"The IAAF Council has accepted a request for early reinstatement on behalf of the US sprinter Justin Gatlin (suspended 2 years from 17.06.2001).

It was agreed that Gatlin had a genuine medical explanation for his positive test: prescription medicine for the condition "Attention Deficit Disorder" (ADD) which was first diagnosed when
Gatlin was 9 years-old, had never challenged his suspension, and had not competed in USATF or IAAF events since learning of his test result on 12 July 2001."

Due to this first instance, when he was actually caught cheating (the second time) he was originally given an EIGHT year ban, reduced to FOUR on appeal because of the circumstances surrounding his first offence. That in itself was a harsher sentence than a lot of doppers get for their first offence.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Disgusting from the crowd to boo the champion. Let's not forget Bolt finished 3rd, even if Gatlin didn't participate he still wouldn't have won. Unfortunately it seems the middle class London audience only turned up for a Bolt procession, thankfully sport is unpredictable.

I was there tonight and I booed him because he's a cheat. I hope they are testing him thoroughly tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here