Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth bid £20million for Demarai Gray

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I reckon the more we talk and complain about how these multi-billionaires spend their money, the sooner they will see sense and start spending in a more responsible manner.

Power to the fans!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fair play to Plucky. They made a conscious decision to thumb their noses at the EFL's rules, cheated the system to get promoted at the expense of clubs who played by those rules, and are now reaping the rewards.

Not a very ethical way to get promoted, but a hell of an effective one.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's better than Bournemouth! Quality player who should should be aiming higher than that - from what I hear Spurs are very interested which would make much more sense.

In the current ridiculous market he's easily worth £20 million.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We'll have been in the PL for 3 seasons now, taking an guesstimated £300m (ish). We have an owner willing to back Eddie to the hilt, and let's not forget, we're 25% owned by Americans who have far more money than Maxim Demin...

The new SKY TV deal of last year has meant the PL is largely a level playing field these days (for money)... Big money buys are no longer the privilege of the top 4/6 teams... With everyone coining in £100m+ every team can and will need to make big money signings... Just to be competitive...

Since hitting the Championship (2nd season) and then the PL, we've probably spent less than a third of our income on 'buying' players... Wages, I have no idea about, as is for the case with everyone (despite what we read on here). Defoe is no doubt our highest earner and I would speculate at about £60k per week... with the rest earning anything from £5k per week to £40k per week... But they're just guesses... But even Defoe's wages only mount up to circa £6m a year, which is nothing when you think that that £6m could keep you in the PL, earning you 20 times that much...

Speculate to accumulate folks... and enjoy the ride..!!!!

The bottom line is that Bournemouth and Southampton invested heavily on the playing side, from the moment they were promoted. It worked, they survived then prospered.

Despite what some would hope, neither is going to go bust and every transfer window they invest further to secure top half PL football for years to come.

The Leeds, Portsmouth and Bolton's spending sprees were built on sand. Either on external debt, mortgaging future s/t income or in the case of Bolton on a loan from the owner which wiped him out. They bear no comparison with Bournemouth and Southampton who receive far more from the latest broadcasting deal and both have billionaire owners.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Slowly slowly is great, but you still need to spend to survive...

I would agree.. the cautious approach is all well and good but sometimes you need that bit of 'star' quality added to give yourselves a fighting chance, no guarantees of course but if it gives you the edge and makes the difference between 17th and better or 18th or worse at seasons end then it's money well spent!

I'm reasonably confident that by September 1st our strike force will be enhanced!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In football terms, why would Gray leave Leicester for Bournemouth??

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I must admit I`ve been extremely jealous of Bournemouth for the last few seasons but really admire the way they try and buy young emerging talent from the UK. They play good football with plenty of pace, the style that I hope we will look to play given time.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Corrected that for you :cheers:

How do you know we run a massive loss...? We've just posted profits for last year... They were minuscule amounts, but profits nonetheless...

You're forgetting Begovic as well... I can't personally see us topping 9th this season... The top 7 are pretty much sewn up and the next spot it is anyones from 8 to 16

I wouldn't say our approach has been a 'spend' approach... We played our first season with pretty much our starting XI for the championship... and still now we have the bulk of that team involved still... We have been strengthening our Depth as before we had 13/14 top players and the rest were purely squad players... Now we have 20 odd top quality players... and this is now, only after a full 2 seasons at the top level...

Football is very different to the days when Pompey and Leeds went stupid and bust... As I pointed out, we have coined in roughly £300m in the last 3 years and spent roughly a third of that on 'buying' players... Another season in the PL will bring in another £120m... Slowly slowly is great, but you still need to spend to survive...

So the first season you had already spent big, very big in the championship, so had players capable of playing at that level.

As an outsider and an away fan, your set up does not look like it can sustain the current set up if the owners stop funding it. Hence the paying of the FFP fine knowing you could not sustain your spending v your revenues. I am assuming the Premier money is there money, not in an away locked into the club.

Again as an outsider looking in, it feels like you are set up on a Monaco basis, or do you have plans to expand your ground and match day revenues.

Yes the money you generate by being there are huge and if you think they sustain 20 million pound signings and Defoe on a reported 100k a week its good.

But I have sat behind Eddie Howe at reserve games listening to him begging for keepers when you, like us fighting to stay in the league. I hope this stay in the premier secures the safety and longevity of the club. That the owners have the clubs and fans long term interests.

I also do not know how much investment they have put into your academy and developing talent. Our owner has spent a lot of money on infrastructure and on a top level academy that is set up to fund itself. Our budget has grown up from 20 to 30 million plus, so that we are covered by revenues.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
As a Championship club, the Albion's costs are very much NOT covered by revenues, by a huge margin. It's all in the published accounts.

No what with all the spend costs (all Tonys money - interest free-loan) in setting up the current infrastructure. But our revenues (and now PL income) are high and are set up to make the club stable over the long term.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
So the first season you had already spent big, very big in the championship, so had players capable of playing at that level.

As an outsider and an away fan, your set up does not look like it can sustain the current set up if the owners stop funding it. Hence the paying of the FFP fine knowing you could not sustain your spending v your revenues. I am assuming the Premier money is there money, not in an away locked into the club.

Again as an outsider looking in, it feels like you are set up on a Monaco basis, or do you have plans to expand your ground and match day revenues.

Yes the money you generate by being there are huge and if you think they sustain 20 million pound signings and Defoe on a reported 100k a week its good.

But I have sat behind Eddie Howe at reserve games listening to him begging for keepers when you, like us fighting to stay in the league. I hope this stay in the premier secures the safety and longevity of the club. That the owners have the clubs and fans long term interests.

I also do not know how much investment they have put into your academy and developing talent. Our owner has spent a lot of money on infrastructure and on a top level academy that is set up to fund itself. Our budget has grown up from 20 to 30 million plus, so that we are covered by revenues.

They've made various announcements over recent months about building a new stadium, most recently announcing their proposed site. However Brighton better than anyone know that the stage they're at is still early and that a hell of a lot can happen between 1) locating a site and 2) actually completing a stadium!! They've a long way to go on that front. But the intent is there.

Brighton got their stadium and then got Premier League.
Bournemouth got Premier League and then set about their stadium.
Each to their own really. It'd be boring if every club did exactly the same thing.
It might feck up there. It might even feck up here if a forward or two isn't signed. That's football, ups and downs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
New stadium should be built for the 2020 season.

I'd say that is hugely optimistic. Well, actually I'll just say that's bollocks.

The Amex took about 3 years to build. You haven't even submitted the plans yet, let alone had planning permission.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
They've made various announcements over recent months about building a new stadium, most recently announcing their proposed site. However Brighton better than anyone know that the stage they're at is still early and that a hell of a lot can happen between 1) locating a site and 2) actually completing a stadium!! They've a long way to go on that front. But the intent is there.

Brighton got their stadium and then got Premier League.
Bournemouth got Premier League and then set about their stadium.
Each to their own really. It'd be boring if every club did exactly the same thing.
It might feck up there. It might even feck up here if a forward or two isn't signed. That's football, ups and downs.

Strikers come and go, the club stays and hopefully long term. Our recruitmet team and management have made some great value signings (and academy promotions) that are now worth a lot of money - Dunk - March - Knockhart - Stephens all worth a lot more that we outlaid on them. I think the Neto signing showed we are willing to spend 10 million on the right player, but not to the detriment of the club.

Yes agree lots of ways to achieve the goals, and in theory both sides can probably afford to get relegated and have the base squad and sales to fund another successful championship campaign.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
That's the going rate of Premier League players in this market. Harry Maguire went for 18m and he's no better than Dunk.
You either pay the going rate or you take risks with untested players. Thems the choices.

And clearly Bournemouth want to stay in the Premier League.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
New stadium should be built for the 2020 season. But, match day revenues are a drop in the ocean compared to sky money.

Do you have any links for the proposed site/stadium design? Genuinely interested as just spent a week in the south of France with a family of Bournemouth fans we met here.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
How can a club that earns a minimum of £100m per year afford to bid £20m? Does that question really need answering?

IMPOSSIBLE, THEY HAVE A TINY STADIUM. No way could they have saved a little from each season and roll it forward.

And clearly Bournemouth want to stay in the Premier League.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt". - Abraham Lincoln

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here