Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth bid £20million for Demarai Gray

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Just goes to show how over inflated the market is.
Everything is 3 or 4 times more expensive than it was last summer.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Pluckiness beyond extreme

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just goes to show how over inflated the market is.
Everything is 3 or 4 times more expensive than it was last summer.

In fairness though the same can be said about the year before, and so on.

Nobody should be surprised by such an offer.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
How can a club that earns a minimum of £100m per year afford to bid £20m? Does that question really need answering?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
That's the going rate of Premier League players in this market. Harry Maguire went for 18m and he's no better than Dunk.
You either pay the going rate or you take risks with untested players. Thems the choices.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ambitious owners.

Recognising that its far better to have an annual income stream of £130m instead of £25m.

Remember that transfer fees in accounting terms are spread over the term of the contract, and in cash flow terms after often paid over more than one year if substantial. Both making a few such transfers very doable, when your income is £130m year after year.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Is there still the requirement to have x amount of home grown players ? If there is I think that would explain why British players prices are even more inflated

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does the potential Neymar deal surprise you
Yes and no.

Obviously £198m is a fookin surprising deal.
But there being a club prepared to pay £198m for a player, no, not in the slightest.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
And yet, in spite of the frankly ridiculous money, and no doubt wages, Plucky are prepared to offer, it was still rejected showing once again just how hard it is to prize decent players from clubs. It's not like popping to the supermarket, the selling club have to want to sell, the money has to be right, the wages have to be right, the player needs to want to move etc. Hell, even with PSG paying £200m for Neymar, that deal has been in the works for months. It takes time and some unrealistic posters just need to remember that the club are working tirelessly to get the right players in - fingers crossed their hard work pays off but if not we go with what we have and see how we get on.

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
We'll have been in the PL for 3 seasons now, taking an guesstimated £300m (ish). We have an owner willing to back Eddie to the hilt, and let's not forget, we're 25% owned by Americans who have far more money than Maxim Demin...

The new SKY TV deal of last year has meant the PL is largely a level playing field these days (for money)... Big money buys are no longer the privilege of the top 4/6 teams... With everyone coining in £100m+ every team can and will need to make big money signings... Just to be competitive...

Since hitting the Championship (2nd season) and then the PL, we've probably spent less than a third of our income on 'buying' players... Wages, I have no idea about, as is for the case with everyone (despite what we read on here). Defoe is no doubt our highest earner and I would speculate at about £60k per week... with the rest earning anything from £5k per week to £40k per week... But they're just guesses... But even Defoe's wages only mount up to circa £6m a year, which is nothing when you think that that £6m could keep you in the PL, earning you 20 times that much...

Speculate to accumulate folks... and enjoy the ride..!!!!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The owner Maxim Denimn is very rich and happy to spend, as are the US investors he has brought on board. I believe he is one of the few chairman to have broken FFP rules to get promoted and then just paid the 7.6 million pound fine with arguing.

They run at a massive loss that is propped up by their wealth, as their income streams are so small.

So if its a fun sideline for very wealthy people - they have a clever and effective manager who has built a good premier league side that can get the needed results. You have finished in 9th place - 16 points away from European football - would adding quality players like Defoe up front, Ake in defence and Gray on the wing push you towards that goal. I would think a fit Defoe alone could score 15 goals and get you close.

The big difference between this spend approach and our chairmans build slowly and spend sensibly approach is what is their long term commitment to the club. I would always be worried about the quick sale for a profit to another person/company and the dangers of constant unknown owners.

We have a long term vision and I am happy that Bloom understands the survival and sustainability of the club comes before then danger of overpaying players and wage bills that have been the death and detriment of clubs such as Pompey and Leeds chasing these same dreams quickly.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/03/bournemouth-fined-last-season-ffp

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
The owner Maxim Denimn is very rich and happy to spend, as are the US investors he has brought on board. I believe he is one of the few chairman to have broken FFP rules to get promoted and then just paid the 7.6 million pound fine without arguing.

Corrected that for you :cheers:

They run at a massive loss that is propped up by their wealth, as their income streams are so small.

How do you know we run a massive loss...? We've just posted profits for last year... They were minuscule amounts, but profits nonetheless...

So if its a fun sideline for very wealthy people - they have a clever and effective manager who has built a good premier league side that can get the needed results. You have finished in 9th place - 16 points away from European football - would adding quality players like Defoe up front, Ake in defence and Gray on the wing push you towards that goal. I would think a fit Defoe alone could score 15 goals and get you close.

You're forgetting Begovic as well... I can't personally see us topping 9th this season... The top 7 are pretty much sewn up and the next spot it is anyones from 8 to 16

The big difference between this spend approach and our chairmans build slowly and spend sensibly approach is what is their long term commitment to the club. I would always be worried about the quick sale for a profit to another person/company and the dangers of constant unknown owners.

I wouldn't say our approach has been a 'spend' approach... We played our first season with pretty much our starting XI for the championship... and still now we have the bulk of that team involved still... We have been strengthening our Depth as before we had 13/14 top players and the rest were purely squad players... Now we have 20 odd top quality players... and this is now, only after a full 2 seasons at the top level...

We have a long term vision and I am happy that Bloom understands the survival and sustainability of the club comes before then danger of overpaying players and wage bills that have been the death and detriment of clubs such as Pompey and Leeds chasing these same dreams quickly.

Football is very different to the days when Pompey and Leeds went stupid and bust... As I pointed out, we have coined in roughly £300m in the last 3 years and spent roughly a third of that on 'buying' players... Another season in the PL will bring in another £120m... Slowly slowly is great, but you still need to spend to survive...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here