Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Things which are not currently criminal offences but which absolutely should be

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've literally just given you evidence from the Oxford English Dictionary. That's what you're arguing with, not me. It is perfectly acceptable to be used. Language evolves.

The OED only offered an over-arching example, stating the concept of giving or receiving without any context or perspective.

In this context, to 'get' a coffee is to help yourself to it. In a coffee shop, you don't help yourself, you are served. So no, you may not 'get a latte...'

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Being a tourist during commuting hours (mainly applies to big cities).

The law should be that all tourists should be locked inside holding bays during the hours of 730-9.00am and 5.00-6.30pm.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The sale of tobacco and tobacco products.
Incoming calls from India.
The greeting of a group of people you don't know with "Hi guys"
Overbooking hotel rooms and aircraft seats.
Reality TV.
Radio One.
Caravans.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Using "could of" "would of" "should of"
Starting a sentence with "so"
Cyclists riding two or three abreast so that they can talk to each other as they're SO much more important than you - FFS get to your destination before wittering on
People holding phones in front of their faces so that "the feds" can't lipread them

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The wearing of boat shoes.
Eating food on public transport when you don't have the ability to keep your mouth closed at the same time.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The OED only offered an over-arching example, stating the concept of giving or receiving without any context or perspective.

In this context, to 'get' a coffee is to help yourself to it. In a coffee shop, you don't help yourself, you are served. So no, you may not 'get a latte...'

Do you got issues ?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

I bet you're a barrel of laughs when out having a coffee.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Using "could of" "would of" "should of"
Starting a sentence with "so"
Cyclists riding two or three abreast so that they can talk to each other as they're SO much more important than you - FFS get to your destination before wittering on
People holding phones in front of their faces so that "the feds" can't lipread them

People who hold that attitude.

One - the roads are for everyone
Two - it's more dangerous for other traffic when cyclists go single file

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Implying a match has been 'fogged' off when it hasn't

Finishing an email with Best

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Worse than that, finishing one with Rgds.

I asked our Sales Manager why he did it, the reply was because it saved time.
I then asked what he was going to do with that 1 second he'd saved and he reported me to HR for being disrespectful to Senior Management.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The tying of plastic bags containing dog shit to trees, hedges and other shrubbery.

Whole life tariff.

The leaving of said plastic bags anywhere but in a dog poo bin. Found one on my front wall today :(

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Nope. You've interpreted it that way. Pretty much everyone under 35 will interpret it to mean the OED definition - to receive, to have, which is also the first line and main example used. This is a generational thing, you won't find youngsters taking issue with how use of the word has changed, it is language evolving before our eyes, and it is correct.

Like "can I grab a coffee to go" - means, "can you make a coffee, put it on the side, at which point I will grab it and go". Literally everyone in the situation knows they don't mean can I come behind the kiosk and make a coffee myself. That would patently be absurd.

Yes, it might be seen as a bit clunky and aggressive, but it is 100% etymologically correct.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Texting (head down) while walking.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Flashing your hazards to say 'Ta' for letting me pull out. :rant:

Buying sprouts.

Why does this annoy you so much? ! Whilst technically against the highway code it is surely good manners, particular for say vans, which have no rear windows to use.

I would read it that the vehicle displaying such illuminants was in trouble or stalled, so I would slow down accordingly possibly causing a domino effect. They are there for a reason.

TBH, given the circumstances, anyone who thought that the car they had just let out had flashed their hazards to immediately warn them that they were slowing down would be a bit of a Tw*t.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
TBH, given the circumstances, anyone who thought that the car they had just let out had flashed their hazards to immediately warn them that they were slowing down would be a bit of a Tw*t.

My thoughts exactly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nope. You've interpreted it that way. Pretty much everyone under 35 will interpret it to mean the OED definition - to receive, to have, which is also the first line and main example used. This is a generational thing, you won't find youngsters taking issue with how use of the word has changed, it is language evolving before our eyes, and it is correct.

People with a far greater knowledge and appreciation of the English language than I have have interpreted it that way too.

You go with the arbitrary changing of the meaning of words when context isn't applied, I'll go with the experts. :)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Riding a bike without a licence and road tax.
Shooting seagulls that aren't on the coast.
Talking on the phone whilst in an enclosed public space.
Using a phone whilst crossing the road.
Queue jumping.
Poor use of grammar on social networking sites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here