Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walking Football

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Started playing this game a couple of months ago in France.

It is a lot of fun, great exercise and good to meet like minded people......( mostly Brits who play, but trying to encourage the locals).

Anyone on NSC play ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Specifically are there any SPECIAL rules for goalkeepers? Are you allowed to dive about and that?

Fungus

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yes, I organise a group in Truro, and can thoroughly recommend it. Even/especially if you haven't played for 30-odd years!

It IS a lot more energetic than it sounds - as it's usually five or six-a-side, you're always on the move - with the ball or looking for space to receive it, twisting and turning. Inevitably, people will run at times - it's natural if the ball is getting away from you.

But it's great fun, a good way to meet new people, and a great workout - I always finish with a sweat and a buzz.

Keepers can dive if they want, but we play indoors on a hard surface.

Rules are "flexible", unless you're playing in competitions.

See https://www.walkingfootballunited.co.uk/club-scout to find your nearest club.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
What are the rules?
Is it just football played at a walking pace like Richard Tiltman and Robert Codnor used to do

Lol...!

We are slow.....but not as slow as those two.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Yes, I organise a group in Truro, and can thoroughly recommend it. Even/especially if you haven't played for 30-odd years!

It IS a lot more energetic than it sounds - as it's usually five or six-a-side, you're always on the move - with the ball or looking for space to receive it, twisting and turning. Inevitably, people will run at times - it's natural if the ball is getting away from you.

But it's great fun, a good way to meet new people, and a great workout - I always finish with a sweat and a buzz.

Keepers can dive if they want, but we play indoors on a hard surface.

Rules are "flexible", unless you're playing in competitions.

See https://www.walkingfootballunited.co.uk/club-scout to find your nearest club.

I agree with everything you have written.

I'm 65 now and had a heart attack just over two years ago, but this is as much fun as it was when I played local football 30 years ago.

Means belonging to a club, camaraderie,kicking a ball again ( yesssss) and although surprisingly tiring is great excercise.

Everyone else is knocking on a bit too, so it doesn't matter how good or bad you are. Roll on early September for a two day tournament in Brittany, where I understand there will be teams from the south coast represented too......an excuse for a huge p**s up !

We play outdoors on the local 3G pitch ( 6 a side)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
AITC do a session at Hurstpierpoint College it is great fun but not as easy as it sounds because as you get older your body wont allow you to do what your mind tells it that it should . I had to pack up because I kept injuring myself falling over. I should have listened to the instructor /coach who kept telling me that I was trying to turn etc as I did when I was 25 He said the simple rule was play the ball the way you are facing but me being me thought that I knew best and was trying to turn etc even at walking pace and fell over numerous times but it was great fun

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
AITC do a session at Hurstpierpoint College it is great fun but not as easy as it sounds because as you get older your body wont allow you to do what your mind tells it that it should . I had to pack up because I kept injuring myself falling over. I should have listened to the instructor /coach who kept telling me that I was trying to turn etc as I did when I was 25 He said the simple rule was play the ball the way you are facing but me being me thought that I knew best and was trying to turn etc even at walking pace and fell over numerous times but it was great fun

Did you play left back?

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
I play a couple of times a week and there's a regular tournament on the nice 3G pitches at Durrington first Monday of each month. Normally about 8 teams of 6-a-side plus subs from Brighton, Bognor, Mile Oak, etc.

Marvellous Scenes

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
I agree with everything you have written.

I'm 65 now and had a heart attack just over two years ago, but this is as much fun as it was when I played local football 30 years ago.

Means belonging to a club, camaraderie,kicking a ball again ( yesssss) and although surprisingly tiring is great excercise.

Everyone else is knocking on a bit too, so it doesn't matter how good or bad you are. Roll on early September for a two day tournament in Brittany, where I understand there will be teams from the south coast represented too......an excuse for a huge p**s up !

We play outdoors on the local 3G pitch ( 6 a side)

Good stuff.

It gives your pride a boost, just to know that you CAN still play (albeit, as you say, with other oldies). Maybe your best days aren't long gone! When I started walking football, I felt like a school-kid again. The brain and body weren't in sync, so I was quite clumsy, but I've now got to the stage where they work together!

People seem to find that the first week or two is a shock to the body, especially the morning after, but they soon get used to it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good stuff.

It gives your pride a boost, just to know that you CAN still play (albeit, as you say, with other oldies). Maybe your best days aren't long gone! When I started walking football, I felt like a school-kid again. The brain and body weren't in sync, so I was quite clumsy, but I've now got to the stage where they work together!

People seem to find that the first week or two is a shock to the body, especially the morning after, but they soon get used to it.

That was how I was but gave up perhaps I should have persevered longer but couldnt stand the bruises.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A Five a side sized pitch with 6 max has just enough room to pass and play the ball. A Ref. or somebody to control the running is also ideal.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yep, played a couple of years back on the AFC Telford 3G training pitch twice a week.
As others have said, playing with like-minded [and ability] players is a great leveler - I found it got me moving, got a sweat on, and had a laugh - what could be better for an overweight 55+ ex [amateur] footballer.
Sadly, chronic sub-talar injury has now brought this to an end - but it was fun while it lasted.
#recommended

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Started playing this game a couple of months ago in France.

It is a lot of fun, great exercise and good to meet like minded people......( mostly Brits who play, but trying to encourage the locals).

Anyone on NSC play ?

I am aware that Lancing has a walking football team and intend popping along to see what's it like just not done it yet

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
That was how I was but gave up perhaps I should have persevered longer but couldnt stand the bruises.

We agreed a "non-contact" rule, so we just have to make sure we don't trip ourselves up!

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Me at 63 I play every wednesday, great fun
Where? I'm looking for a club Brighton/ Hove area (no, I cant play left back!}

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills