Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walking Football

gandalf81

Jul 26, 2017
iv seen this advertised and i think its a great idea and concept to get the older gents more active! i could see our local boozer knocking a team up

Jul 7, 2003
I'm looking to start playing this in the next couple of months. I had a knee replacement nearly two years ago so proper football is now out of the question as I have to be careful about impact injuries.

My only issue with walking football is that in Sussex, it is still primarily focussed on retired folk. Most of the sessions organised are on weekday afternoons (I think Lancing is the exception near me)

I am 48 and still have a fair few years of work ahead of me. There must be loads of 'younger' people who are no longer able to play proper football due to injuries and/or fitness but who would play walking football if the sessions were available to them.

I'm planning to speak to the Sussex FA development person to see if they can look at sessions for younger/working people. If there are others on here who are similarly interested in walking football for under 50's, then post on this thread and I can share this to show the demand.

D

Deleted member 2719

I would love to start playing this, but I wondered how competitive it gets, do players go through the ball, either deliberately or accidentally?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I would love to start playing this, but I wondered how competitive it gets, do players go through the ball, either deliberately or accidentally?

I suppose it may depend on the age group ?

At my age I just want to be able to kick and pass the ball and be as creative as you can, given you cannot run.

The desire to win or play well is just as strong but to enjoy it and congratulate an opponent on winning is equally gratifying. It is not a contact sport for obvious reasons...(health and age related). Anyone who accidentally or otherwise injures another player shouldn't really be playing.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

If they did at my sessions, they wouldn't be allowed back!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

At my age I just want to be able to kick and pass the ball and be as creative as you can, given you cannot run.

The desire to win or play well is just as strong but to enjoy it and congratulate an opponent on winning is equally gratifying. It is not a contact sport for obvious reasons...(health and age related). Anyone who accidentally or otherwise injures another player shouldn't really be playing.

I've just been invited, this very night, to join a French team from Brittany who are playing a tournament here in October. Will be seeing one of them next week anyway and have declared my interest. Being not yet fifty I guess I'm one of the 'development squad'.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have been asked to play a few times of normal dads football but the ages range from 30 to 53, me being the latter and knowing some of the dads in their late 30's playing as if they were Vinne jones, it always sounded to higher risk, so i have avoided it although always very tempted!

Sounds reassuring a great safe sport for the mature generation.:thumbsup:

kjgood

Yes it does get fairly competitive, well at least with the guys I play with. We have all abilities in our group of about twenty players, ages from 50 to 70 odd including one ex pro who is great mates with Graham Mosely for those old enough to remember. Of course people get kicked accidentially its football, and those who do not not play cannot understand how tiring it can be.

In a couple of months playing what has been noticable to me is that for the first couple of weeks I pulled muscles through turning and streching for the ball, now I dont. Also the standard of football has risen amazingly, the passing and finding space is way better than it was at the start, people have remembered how to play football after many years of not playing.

Remember the teasing, micky taking, making new friends, going for a pint after etc you had when you played when 15- 35 years old, its just the same.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
It's not walking football - although pretty close to it at the pace we play at - but we have a great mix of players turning up for free footy in the Hove Park area every Sunday, kicking off at 9.30am.

We've been going for a good five years now and have goals and cones and turn out enough for a least five-aside most weeks. ANYONE is welcome to play and we have guys and gals of all ages and abilities playing.

Search for Hove Park Sunday Football on Facebook or message me if anyone fancies it.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yes it does get fairly competitive, well at least with the guys I play with. We have all abilities in our group of about twenty players, ages from 50 to 70 odd including one ex pro who is great mates with Graham Mosely for those old enough to remember. Of course people get kicked accidentially its football, and those who do not not play cannot understand how tiring it can be.

In a couple of months playing what has been noticable to me is that for the first couple of weeks I pulled muscles through turning and streching for the ball, now I dont. Also the standard of football has risen amazingly, the passing and finding space is way better than it was at the start, people have remembered how to play football after many years of not playing.

Remember the teasing, micky taking, making new friends, going for a pint after etc you had when you played when 15- 35 years old, its just the same.

Absolutely all of this. And one of our guys turns out to be a tour guide at the local brewery. :cheers:

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks for the insight, i can see me giving this ago.:rave::goal:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm looking to start playing this in the next couple of months. I had a knee replacement nearly two years ago so proper football is now out of the question as I have to be careful about impact injuries.

My only issue with walking football is that in Sussex, it is still primarily focussed on retired folk. Most of the sessions organised are on weekday afternoons (I think Lancing is the exception near me)

I am 48 and still have a fair few years of work ahead of me. There must be loads of 'younger' people who are no longer able to play proper football due to injuries and/or fitness but who would play walking football if the sessions were available to them.

I'm planning to speak to the Sussex FA development person to see if they can look at sessions for younger/working people. If there are others on here who are similarly interested in walking football for under 50's, then post on this thread and I can share this to show the demand.

Very interested. I broke both my legs back in 2001 playing rugby, and consequently got vastly overweight and out of shape. I tried playing in a six a side team with some lads on here a couple of years ago, but I was shockingly out of shape and utterly rubbish. Would love to play football and get fitter at my pace so this sounds right up my street.

Jul 7, 2003
Apologies for bouncing an old thread but does anyone on here play for a team in West Sussex which takes youngsters of just 50 and who play outside of normal working hours?

I've been looking around and in Worthing there is a team but they only take over 55's. There is one in Lancing but they also seem to be an older group.

Most of the sessions are still during the working day so no use to me. I tried AITC but they don't run many sessions now and had nothing to help me. The list on the Sussex FA website seems out of date so hoping someone on here might be able to help.

Alternatively, if there enough people in the area who might want to get together to play we could try and find someone who knows the rules and set up a game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here