Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 man squad

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Plenty of speculation now appearing for the Feb 1st squad...

Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer
HGP = Home Grown Player - we can only name up to 17 non-HGPs

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP) or New Signing ( Central Defender )
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (HGP) or New Signing ( Central Defender )
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell (HGP)
17. Knockaert
18. March (HGP)
19. Murphy or New Signing ( Midfielder )
20. Skalak or New Signing ( Striker )
21. Izquierdo
22. Groß
U21 Brown
23. Murray (not HGP !!)
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

Loans out for Skalak, Murphy and Goldson, maybe.

Dunk to be sold ? ??? *shudder*

We need to keep an eye on the HGP numbers. Maybe this is why we supposedly want Josh Vela from Bolton

Yes, that may well explain the Vela interest. Of those seven HGPs, the future of four is up for grabs next season -- Krul (who I suspect will be retained), Rosenior, Dunk and Sidwell -- whereas, as you suggest, Goldson is a leading candidate to be loaned out in January, requiring a HGP replacement.
All this does indicate that the recruitment team will need to turn their attention to HGPs in the next few windows.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That list looks to me like we might end up being quite active in January. Quite a few we either need to re-sign, or replace. We could see quite a different squad from Feb onwards ... assume 3 go out on loan, could be looking at 5-10 new names on the list by the time we're done. I'd expect closer to 5 than 10 (given the latter would probably upset the group dynamic we have in place currently).

If we can maintain mid-table form, do we think it'll be easier to entice targets to want to make the move than it was pre-season? We'll have gone a long way towards reducing the risk of immediate relegation in the minds of our targets if we're still sitting in that 10-12 area of the table going into January.

Doubt we'll get as many as five in, in January and would be surprised if it surpasses three.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, that may well explain the Vela interest. Of those seven HGPs, the future of four is up for grabs next season -- Krul (who I suspect will be retained), Rosenior, Dunk and Sidwell -- whereas, as you suggest, Goldson is a leading candidate to be loaned out in January, requiring a HGP replacement.
All this does indicate that the recruitment team will need to turn their attention to HGPs in the next few windows.
Also, maybe Walton will join the 25 next season as an additional HGP.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Also, maybe Walton will join the 25 next season as an additional HGP.

Entirely possible, but this is the conundrum for lads developed through the club's academy but not yet likely to make consistent first-team appearances:

1) do you stick them in the 25-man squad, and have them potentially make only a handful of competitive appearances all season, hindering their development at a critical juncture in their career

or do you

2) send them out on loan so they get matches and continue their development but then, of course, cannot be counted as HGP players in your squad.

It is exactly the issue we currently face with Goldson.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With the 25 man squad no longer relevant once the window opens tomorrow, it means Ahannach and LuaLua are now available for selection.

Biggest rumour is that Murphy will be leaving the squad, freeing up a space when it is re-nominated.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I think that we will see replacements for Murphy and Skalak. (I’m not sure of Baldock’s status as I thought he would have come on as a substitute by now). Hopefully we will keep Dunk until the summer (but could Southampton come calling for Duffy, Dunk or even Goldson to replace Van Dijk). Long term we have to look after Goodson as Dunk’s replacement. If that means he goes on loan, then so be it. However somehow I don’t see it happening now - Goldson may get more games in the rest of the season. There is also an argument that it is time to line up Bruno’s replacement - although again I personally think that will be in the summer. If we do bring in a Bruno replacement, if this happened Rosenior might drop out of the squad (which I would be sorry to see). I guess there is also a question over Sidwell’s fitness.
We do have one loan position left and I’m sure it will be used. My guess is that we will sign two different types of striker or attacking midfielder, with one being able to play deeper and one being a loan. Maybe we can also pick up an under-21 player in defence as a potential Bruno replacement.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Murphy virtually gone.

Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell (HGP)
17. Knockaert
18. March (HGP)
19. Murphy [nearly gone] or New Signing ( Striker ) or LuaLua or Ahannnach
20. Skalak or New Signing ( Midfielder )
21. Izquierdo
22. Groß
U21 Brown
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Entirely possible, but this is the conundrum for lads developed through the club's academy but not yet likely to make consistent first-team appearances:

1) do you stick them in the 25-man squad, and have them potentially make only a handful of competitive appearances all season, hindering their development at a critical juncture in their career

or do you

2) send them out on loan so they get matches and continue their development but then, of course, cannot be counted as HGP players in your squad.

It is exactly the issue we currently face with Goldson.

Goldson can't go out on loan unless we sign another CB. If he went now we'd not have enough cover. He'll get more opportunities later as the season takes it toll. Injuries, tiredness and suspensions will affect Dunk and Duffy sooner or later.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
CH has just said Goldson will play on Monday and could then go out on loan. Surprising unless one is coming in.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Stefano Denswil.

He's played twice in this seasons Champions League and scored 2 goals. Maybe we are going to turn him into the new Dion Dublin and Play him up top?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Just to add from AN's article that CH did confirm that CG would only go out if we had one coming in. I would assume that has already been sorted (or very near to) to even be a discussion.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Murphy gone, Skalak likely to stay, LuaLua clearly no way back at the albion.

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell (HGP) or New Signing ( Midfielder )
17. Knockaert
18. Izquierdo
19. March (HGP)
20. Skalak
21. Groß
U21 Brown
22. New Signing ( Striker )
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
We should ideally also see a replacement come in for Skalak. If Brown has a long term injury can we free up another loan slot? Maybe we will start to see Baldock coming on for Gross now? Personsllly I think we should keep Goldson and give him more game time. However I guess he needs to go out if CH is fixed on Dunk and Duffy. Hunemeier is good cover in the centre.

We need a striker (or two) even more urgently if Brown has a long term injury. Imagine what would happen if Murray and or Hemed got injured or banned....

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Uwe was as solid as during his last spell in the team last night, more so than Connor Goldson as it goes. CG is the future I think so I would be very happy for him to go out on loan all things considered. Obviously we need someone to come in though. Disappointed for Izzy Brown, I hope the injury is not too bad. Clearly we will need to cut the loan short if he is going to be out for a significant period.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Poor old Brown is crocked and gone, his face we'll see no more...

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell (HGP) or New Signing ( Midfielder )
17. Knockaert
18. Izquierdo
19. March (HGP)
20. Skalak
21. Groß
22. New Signing ( Striker )
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Sadly Steve Sidwell is out for "a few months" so that will be another space in the 25.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here