Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 man squad

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Home grown players don’t have to be English. To be a home grown player they need to have been on the books of an FA or FAW affiliated club for 36 months (not necessarily consecutively) prior to their 21st birthday. It’s how Tim Krul is one and Glenn Murray isn’t.

Dembele is a HGP but for this season he qualifies as an under 21 so couldn’t be named in the 25 man squad.

Does the under 21 date remain the same in January? I assume so.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-premier-league-25-man-squad-3349993

Clubs do not have to name eight 'home-grown' players if they do not have enough, but this would mean submitting a reduced squad.

So Goldson can go, but he will have to be replaced by a homegrown player over 21.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Welcome back The Man From Argentina !

Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer
HGP = Home Grown Player - we can only name up to 17 non-HGPs

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (HGP) or New Signing ( Central Defender )
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Knockaert
17. Izquierdo
18. March (HGP)
19. Skalak
20. Groß
21. Ulloa
22. Locadia
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed
New Signing ( Central Midfielder ) ??

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Welcome back The Man From Argentina !

Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (HGP) or New Signing ( Central Defender )
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Knockaert
17. Izquierdo
18. March (HGP)
19. Skalak
20. Groß
21. Ulloa
22. Locadia
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed
New Signing ( Central Midfielder ) ??

So, as it stands we have the maximum 17 Non-HGP players.

If we sign another Non-HGP player they would need to replace one of the existing non-HGP players, most likely Skalak.

It also means we MUST keep Goldson though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

If we sign another Non-HGP player they would need to replace one of the existing non-HGP players, most likely Skalak.

Or Goldson gets replaced by a HGP

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

I think JS or TH out on loan and a new CM in. Only guessing though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why is Murray not a HGP? Sorry to be so badly informed

Because he spent the relevant years for HGP qualification playing in the USA.

It is the reverse situation for Krul and Duffy who are overseas players, but spent the right years at a club in England.

And hopefully some of the overseas players we have at the academy will count as HGPs in future because they were here at the right age.

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

It is the reverse situation for Krul and Duffy who are overseas players, but spent the right years at a club in England.

And hopefully some of the overseas players we have at the academy will count as HGPs in future because they were here at the right age.

Thank you

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (HGP)
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. Groß
17. Knockaert
18. Izquierdo
19. March (HGP)
20. Skalak
21. Ulloa
22. Locadia
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Overall a better and stronger 25 than the one we entered the window with, could have done with a midfielder as we are slightly lightweight there but not too many complaints from me, main area that needed reinforcing has been dealt with. The HGP situation come the summer will be interesting, we look like we'll need at least two or three incomings that are homegrown (that is if we're still a PL club, don't think this rule exists in the Championship?)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

What are the relevant years for this rule?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Yoda

English & European
A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

That's a bit harsh on Murray. He wasn't even playing at any youth level, went straight into non-league when he was almost 19. Spent 2 years at Workington before having ONE Summer season in the US before coming back to England at 21.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That's a bit harsh on Murray. He wasn't even playing at any youth level, went straight into non-league when he was almost 19. Spent 2 years at Workington before having ONE Summer season in the US before coming back to England at 21.

That is not correct and shows the problem with relying on Wikipedia, which isn't always accurate. I refer you to a post I made back in November - Jamie Murphy

That is the thing that surprised me, and it didn't seem to make sense - why a single season (which would have been less than a 12-month calendar period) would have invalidated his HGP status. Wikipedia shows him spending a single season (in 2004) with the gloriously-named Wilmington Hammerheads.

However, a bit of digging turned up this interview in the Mirror last season - Wally meets Glenn Murray - Brighton's hitman on plastering, America and kick-starting his career

The following is the relevant bit:-

...I had been working as a plasterer's labourer, so in football terms I didn't go out there to salvage my career because I had no career to rescue,” he said.

“But there was a Workington connection because David Irving, who played for Everton in the 1970s was coaching over in Wilmington and his brother, Jimmy, was running a local amateur team up my way in Cumbria.

“Jimmy suggested that I should try my luck with his brother in America – and I liked it so much I spent three seasons over there.

“I had the choice of staying at home, working the days away doing something I didn't really enjoy, or packing my bags and giving it another shot and hoping something came of it.

“I didn't really have anything to lose, and it turned out to be a great way of growing up, learning about life and learning about football.

It would appear, then, that he actually spent a significant chunk of his HGP years in the States.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That is not correct and shows the problem with relying on Wikipedia, which isn't always accurate. I refer you to a post I made back in November - Jamie Murphy
I remembered you posted on this, but not the details.

Thanks for taking the time to research this.
:albion2:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
And Jordan Nando Marques Araujo....Who I can't find any information about whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

.... Do you know what position Araujo plays?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

An interview with our young Canadian midfielder - Dreams into reality

As a side note - based upon a couple of social media posts by one of his teammates, I think he might have suffered a potentially serious injury playing for the U-18s last Saturday, but I don't know the details.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here