Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 man squad

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Will leave us treading water with regards HGP, on the limit without him in the squad so does that stop Goldson's potential loan?

All depends on whether we want to buy/loan another HGP or promote one from the DS. It's sad news for Sidwell, but he was unlikely to get much game time this season if at all with his injury. It does mean that we could do with cover in CM, and we could do with adding quality as, at present, we've only got four players covering three positions, although Gross and Propper can operate in both CM and ACM.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All depends on whether we want to buy/loan another HGP or promote one from the DS. It's sad news for Sidwell, but he was unlikely to get much game time this season if at all with his injury. It does mean that we could do with cover in CM, and we could do with adding quality as, at present, we've only got four players covering three positions, although Gross and Propper can operate in both CM and ACM.

Sidwell was being targeted for a comeback at the cup 4th round.
Given limited CM cover, and Molumby being injured as well then i think Hughton was hoping to have him back to do that 3 in midfield / finish off a game role that he used him for many times last season. his experience also invaluable.
Sad stuff. Might never play for the Albion again. Hard to see him getting a contract if we stay up.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sidwell was being targeted for a comeback at the cup 4th round.
Given limited CM cover, and Molumby being injured as well then i think Hughton was hoping to have him back to do that 3 in midfield / finish off a game role that he used him for many times last season. his experience also invaluable.
Sad stuff. Might never play for the Albion again. Hard to see him getting a contract if we stay up.

I do follow what CH has to say, and you on here too, but there's a world of difference between 'being targeted for a comeback' and actually achieving that, as the latest news confirms. We've done relatively well for injuries this season, but we've had two big ones in the space of a few days, and they're both in similar areas. The good news is that it's fairly early in the transfer window, so I suspect we'll see at least one new face in, whether on loan (where there is flexibility now) or as a purchase.
Given their record since CH and PW have taken over, I'm confident they'll make good decisions -- I suspect you might agree on that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I do follow what CH has to say, and you on here too, but there's a world of difference between 'being targeted for a comeback' and actually achieving that, as the latest news confirms. We've done relatively well for injuries this season, but we've had two big ones in the space of a few days, and they're both in similar areas. The good news is that it's fairly early in the transfer window, so I suspect we'll see at least one new face in, whether on loan (where there is flexibility now) or as a purchase.
Given their record since CH and PW have taken over, I'm confident they'll make good decisions -- I suspect you might agree on that.

The whole thing is shame. I think he'd have had a fair bit of game time this season if he'd been fit.
Crucial part of last seasons promotion. Sure he still had ability to hold his own in Prem. Good bloke too.

But yes. i think that means 4 incoming now.
Striker (unfinished business) , Brown replacement, CM cover, CB cover so Goldson on loan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I reckon if Sidwell fails a fitness assessment on Jan 31st we will just recall Ollie Norwood from loan.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The whole thing is shame. I think he'd have had a fair bit of game time this season if he'd been fit.
Crucial part of last seasons promotion. Sure he still had ability to hold his own in Prem. Good bloke too.

But yes. i think that means 4 incoming now.
Striker (unfinished business) , Brown replacement, CM cover, CB cover so Goldson on loan.

I think you're getting carried away with 4, and will call 3. We shall see.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A small crumb of comfort to the squad overall.
In seasons gone by these injuries would have happened in early February.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
All depends on whether we want to buy/loan another HGP or promote one from the DS.

We don't have an HGP to promote from the DS - by which I mean, the only player on our books in the first half of the campaign who doesn't qualify as an U-21, wasn't in the 25-man squad and wasn't out on loan was Soufyan Ahannach (who clearly isn't an HGP).

In the unlikely event that Hughton felt, say, that Jayson Molumby or Des Hutchinson could cover Sidwell's squad place, then they wouldn't be named in the 25-man squad (as they qualify as U-21 players).

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
We don't have an HGP to promote from the DS - by which I mean, the only player on our books in the first half of the campaign who doesn't qualify as an U-21, wasn't in the 25-man squad and wasn't out on loan was Soufyan Ahannach (who clearly isn't an HGP).

In the unlikely event that Hughton felt, say, that Jayson Molumby or Des Hutchinson could cover Sidwell's squad place, then they wouldn't be named in the 25-man squad (as they qualify as U-21 players).

Ollie Norwood back from his loan then, or a hard brexit HGP striker like Andy Carroll. Otherwise Goldson's going nowhere

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Will leave us treading water with regards HGP, on the limit without him in the squad so does that stop Goldson's potential loan?

Perhaps - depends upon whether Hughton feels Sidwell needs to be replaced in the 25-man squad (as he hasn't been available for the entire first half of the season, you could argue the news today hasn't changed anything). I guess Hughton could still sanction a loan move for Connor (assuming, of course, that we get in a replacement centre-back) and name a 24-man squad; but what he couldn't do is replace both Goldson AND Sidwell in the squad with non-HGPs.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So:

Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer
HGP = Home Grown Player - we can only name up to 17 non-HGPs

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (HGP) or New Signing ( Central Defender )
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. New Signing ( Midfielder )
17. Knockaert
18. Izquierdo
19. March (HGP)
20. Skalak
21. Groß
22. New Signing ( Striker )
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

Which gives

HGP = 8 (if we keep Goldson)
Non-HGP = 15
Unsure 2

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
So:

Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer
HGP = Home Grown Player - we can only name up to 17 non-HGPs

1. Ryan
2. Krul (HGP)
2. Maenpaa
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior (HGP)
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk (HGP)
10. Duffy (HGP)
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (HGP) or New Signing ( Central Defender )
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens (HGP)
15. Kayal
16. New Signing ( Midfielder )
17. Knockaert
18. Izquierdo
19. March (HGP)
20. Skalak
21. Groß
22. New Signing ( Striker )
23. Murray
24. Baldock (HGP)
25. Hemed

I'd bin Skalak from that and look for a loanee Brown replacement that can play either as a winger or CAM. No point having a player in the squad that's not even made the matchday 18 most games, and wasn't really the answer in the Championship.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Quick rules question ... are we allowed to name fewer than 25 to the squad if we're unable to name 8 HGP? So 17 non-HGP plus however many HGP we have available? And if so, should we then find an HGP to sign after the window closes, can we add them to the squad? I'm assuming any post-window additions would have to be free agents? Or could we pick up a loan if we still had a loan slot available? Or would we be forced to recall Norwood given he's 'our' player despite being out on loan?

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Quick rules question ... are we allowed to name fewer than 25 to the squad if we're unable to name 8 HGP? So 17 non-HGP plus however many HGP we have available? And if so, should we then find an HGP to sign after the window closes, can we add them to the squad? I'm assuming any post-window additions would have to be free agents? Or could we pick up a loan if we still had a loan slot available? Or would we be forced to recall Norwood given he's 'our' player despite being out on loan?

1. Yes that can be done. Think as long as you have enough players for a matchday 18 you're fine, so you could in theory name 17 non-HGP and one HGP.
2. We should if Goldson insists on being loaned out, otherwise he will stay and we'll just about have enough HGP to survive until the summer where the out of contract exodus begins.
3. As long as we don't name 25 players, free agents can be added post window if the HGP criteria is satisfied. So if we named 24 players but were one HGP short, it would have to be a HGP free signing. No loans post-window, the emergency window doesn't exist in PL and I think it was abandoned in the EFL as well.
4. We'd only have to recall Norwood if Goldson went on loan and we still wanted to name a 25 man.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
1. Yes that can be done. Think as long as you have enough players for a matchday 18 you're fine, so you could in theory name 17 non-HGP and one HGP.
2. We should if Goldson insists on being loaned out, otherwise he will stay and we'll just about have enough HGP to survive until the summer where the out of contract exodus begins.
3. As long as we don't name 25 players, free agents can be added post window if the HGP criteria is satisfied. So if we named 24 players but were one HGP short, it would have to be a HGP free signing. No loans post-window, the emergency window doesn't exist in PL and I think it was abandoned in the EFL as well.
4. We'd only have to recall Norwood if Goldson went on loan and we still wanted to name a 25 man.

If both the midfielder slot and striker slot are filled with NHGPs, then we either need to keep Goldson, recall Norwood or sign an HGP player to include in his place, but in the unlikely event that either new player is HG... then we're cool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here